god the comments on the news story are bad

"hurrrrr he didn't need to carry that ASSAULT RIFLE into the woods, why not a .44 MAGNUM"

isn't the story about a man who shot and killed a bear and walked out of the woods alive, and not dead? am I missing something here?

(I know the answer - politically incorrect firearms are bad even when they function as intended to protect the owner)

• Like 3
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To quote a learned tootsie pop owl, "one, ta-hooo, thrree. Three!

Frankly I would be doing a mag dump.

god the comments on the news story are bad     "hurrrrr he didn't need to carry that ASSAULT RIFLE into the woods, why not a .44 MAGNUM"     isn't the story about a man who shot and killed a bea

Posted Images

I dont think I would hesitate to carry 7.62 in bear country now, sure he fired more than once but he still had plenty of ammo, cant say the same for a big bore revolver.

ak 74 is not 7.62.

god the comments on the news story are bad

"hurrrrr he didn't need to carry that ASSAULT RIFLE into the woods, why not a .44 MAGNUM"

isn't the story about a man who shot and killed a bear and walked out of the woods alive, and not dead? am I missing something here?

(I know the answer - politically incorrect firearms are bad even when they function as intended to protect the owner)

Sadly your not missing anything. People are fucking idiots. They still tend to think that the 2nd is for hunting, and the only ones that can protect themselves are police and military.

weird-and-hilarious-stuff06.jpg

All joking apart, I have a buddy who is a Wildlife Biologist in Montana working for Fish and Game. His main job was to investigate Grizzly kills when they were still protected. They would investigate every one like it was a human murder crime scene. There used to be a saying up there, "If you kill one, you better have teeth or claw marks in you". Anyway, he and a friend were up hunting Elk in the Bob Marshal Wilderness. You MT people know where this is. He killed a spectacular bull and started working on the animal while his friend watched his six. The bears around there are called "Dinner Bell" bears. (The gunshot means food on the ground). A good sized boar came along to take the Elk from them and charged them. Both let loose with .300 Win Mags, six rounds were fired and six rounds hit the bear. The last round was point blank in the skull which dropped it. He went into his usual FWP mode and dissected the bear to see where they hit it. Every round was a "kill shot" and took out all of the bear's vital organs, heart and lungs most importantly. He was running on pure adrenaline until that last round hit him in the head at around 8'. Moral of the story, these fuckers are tough and this dude is pretty lucky to save his ass with an AK.

Well what do you guys recommend for dropping a brown bear?????

and don't tell me a 12 gauge shotgun.

That is the norm for a bear protection weapon up north...with slugs.

I dont think I would hesitate to carry 7.62 in bear country now, sure he fired more than once but he still had plenty of ammo, cant say the same for a big bore revolver.

ak 74 is not 7.62.

And 7.62x39mm doesn't compare to other .30 caliber rounds if you are talking about killing very large and dangerous animals.

My Uncle in Fairbanks likes to bait his bear and then take'm out with one shot to the cranium with a .223 pistol. When not baiting he chooses the .300 Weatherby Magnum.

With no real details yet it's all conjecture. Biggest problem with large dangerous animals is penetration of course. Tough hides, thick muscle, big bones, all make it tougher to get to a sweet spot. I still think a CNS shot is what finally did the trick, otherwise it would seem likely the story would have been dead bear and hiker.

Best Ive got is a Barnes TSX load in 308, even then who knows.

Well, with the right load, that is one of the obvious choices. Breneke or Duplex Hexolit slugs make sense to me. so do magnum loads of 0000 Buck. Other things are easier to pack though. Obviously high power rifles preferably with a big solid projectile have more energy and better range and penetration. I've talked to a number of ADf&G guys and the like. Lots of them use standard 15 pellet OO buck loads. 45-70 is pretty popular for the purpose. I found a lot of 45-70 bullets at the range in Dillingham, where I used to live. Most of alaska is open and you can usually get close for hunting, so a rainbow trajectory is not the worst thing ever.

If you look for bush pilot's guns you will see a slew of good choices. Light compact lever guns designed to destroy your shoulder as they hurl a massive chunk of lead. The other option is any full power rifle around 30 cal with penetrator bullets like barnes copper. My thing is that it has to be light and handy enough to carry, and I want a very fast followup. I would want a big bore revolver too, because if we are honest, you just aren't always going to have a long gun within arm's reach.

Just about any centerfire rifle is going to outperform most all handguns. That said, the consensus is that .44 mag is maybe enough if you pay attention to shot placement. Sooner or later you have to compromise certainty for practicality though. There is the 50 AE grizzly 1911 too.

Edited by GunFun

Double-rifles were THE gun to have for hunting dangerous game in Africa. If it'll work for a lion or water buffalo, I think it would be just fine for a bear.

Granted, those were heavy rifle calibers, but I think a .45-70 would be sufficient. (I don't plan on testing that, though...)

Don't throw buckshot at these bears! You might as well be throwing a handful of pebbles at them. If you have to use a 12 gauge, use a damn slug. At that velocity, you need all of the mass in one projectile, and you will probably need more than one to render one of these bears a non threat. Otherwise, you need more velocity with smaller projectiles to do the deed. I'm saying this because of the experience and knowledge my buddy has dealing with these bears as a profession. You know the old expression "Loaded for Bear"? It does mean something.

• Like 1

most hunting guides use either 12ga slugs or 45/70. Wild West Guns has made a name for themselves up here with their 45/70 guide model, which will break down and be easier to transport via the smaller planes. Me, I pack a .44mag and common sense. (but I did get into the Saia12 for use near the cabin I use every year)

The thing that irks me about the shooting here was the guy just then said 'hey bear' when he saw it? idiot. In over 40 years up here, and I spend a LOT of time in the woods, I have yet to have a bear encounter. And not for the lack of opportunity - I've stepped in a number of still steaming piles of bear shit. But I'm not out walking silently either... (and no fugging bear bells!) I either whistle, or I have my dogs with me and I'm constantly yelling at them. Best form of bear deterrence is make yourself known to the bears and you will not see them. Even alone, if the area looks overgrown and low vis, I make noise. Talk, whistle, yell HEY BEAR and so on.Unless they want to eat you (which is VERY rare) then they are fair game. Most attacks are when someone startles a bear, or gets too close to cubs. My guess is this guy startled this one, and the old boar was gonna take a chunk outta his ass.

couple of years ago some guy whacked a brown bear at the Russian River campground with an AK47, and while he said he was charged, he bragged later somewhere he was hoping to run into it and that's why he had his AK. Some jokers just go looking for trouble.

My trail gun is a Taurus Judge, 2 rounds of bird shot for snakes and 3 shots of 45lc FTX. Won't take down a griz, but black bears.. sure.

at least he had a gun. imagine how this guy felt.

http://badassoftheweek.com/genemoe.html

Now that's a link I'm glad I clicked smile.png

Had to save the page. True badass.

Edited by slippingaway

ak 74 is not 7.62.

Yes I know this and I did not say that, because if 5.45 is adequate to put down a bear then so is 7.62x39 is more of what I meant. Seriously were on a saiga forum, I would not have made it this long if I didn't know the difference.

Silly Rabbit, it wasn't a Russian Bear. That's why multiple shots were needed. Seriously, the 45-70 is good for anything in NA. Slugs in the 12 and be snappy about it. Those critters cover a lot of ground very quickly. I would travel with the muzzle at 12 or 6 o clock, safety off. Black bears in SC.

ak 74 is not 7.62.

Yes I know this and I did not say that, because if 5.45 is adequate to put down a bear then so is 7.62x39 is more of what I meant. Seriously were on a saiga forum, I would not have made it this long if I didn't know the difference.

Okay. just checking........what.gifnaaaa.gif

Silly Rabbit, it wasn't a Russian Bear. That's why multiple shots were needed. Seriously, the 45-70 is good for anything in NA. Slugs in the 12 and be snappy about it. Those critters cover a lot of ground very quickly. I would travel with the muzzle at 12 or 6 o clock, safety off. Black bears in SC.

There probably are some up in the mountians. I was referring to when I used to guide around Lake Mattamuskeet, NC. I have had hunters havest black bears in the 500-600 lbs range. Don't know if anyone has had the experience of hunting bears with dogs....nothing like a 400lb bear running at you with 6 or so plott hounds hanging off/chasing it. Like I said 45-70 with open sites.

At the risk of being rude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzCYM_erPE#t=1m50s

• Like 1