Knife suggestions for a gift for my Dad...

I thought I'd ask here because I know we have some edged weapon guys in the ranks.

About a month ago my Dad handed me his pocket knife for the purpose of cutting some plastic wrap off of a pallet. The thing was so dull I ended up tearing it off of there myself... This is a knife he got for free about 15 years ago. Not a quality piece.

Anyhow, his birthday is in about a week and I'd like to get him a really badass pocket knife.

Here are my criteria:

-He won't sharpen it - ever. I know that. So, the longer it holds a decent edge, the better...

-No more than 3" blade, preferable more like 2.5"

-No spring assisted blades (he's nearly 70, carries the knife in his actual pocket, and I think he may hurt himself with one)

-Absolutely must lock open in a very positive, fail-safe, type of way

-Lifetime warranty

-Very preferably made in the US, absolutely nothing Chinese...

-~$100 budget

Can you guys help me out?

Well your budget is going to limit you somewhat. Heres a few suggestions. I look at the locking mechanism. With folders, your going to have your typical frame lock, liner lock, back lock, axis, etc.

Then the steel, scales and grinds.

I would look into the Benchmade knives, or the Spyderco blades, in particular, the Paramilitary 2. Its got a good steel, solid lock, in your price range, made in the US, and pretty badass. Its only a tad longer blade than what your wanting.

Theres a lot of other badass blades out there, but good luck in your quest.

I was, and still am, considering getting him a Juice XE6 (which I have been carrying on my keychain for the past 8 years) but I think the extra weight might displease him...

I am a leatherman man to the core, but I'm not sure if pops would dig it... It's still an option though! Thanks!

I've been carrying a leatherman "sidekick", I think that's what is is called, clipped onto the top of my pants pocket for about 10 years. If I don't have it with me, it's almost as bad as not having my side arm on my hip. Leatherman does make a clip to add to most of their stuff, so it won't weight down his pocket, call them and ask. I can't carry a knife in my pocket, it just doesn't feel right, but the Leatherman, I hardly know it's there, until I need it.

Get him a Lansky knife sharpener It will put the best edge on his cheap knife for ever and he will love using it.

All the knifes in my house you can shave with. About $50 with ruby hone and stand

I would suggest looking at something like a Ken Onion Speedsafe knife. A great pocket knife in your price range.

http://www.thekershawstore.com/Kershaw-Black-Leek-Serrated-Edge-Knife-p/k1660cktst.htm

http://www.thekershawstore.com/Kershaw-SpeedSafe-Knives-s/5.htm

Edited by yakdung

Could the choice be more obvious? http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Delica-Green-ZDP-189-Folding/dp/B001CO0224

I am a die hard fanboy of the endura and delica models, but that's only because they are absolutely perfect. Basic versions in flat grind are the best. ZDP189 versions or super blue are fancy steel that will stay sharp an absurd amount of time, but the more common VG10 versions hold an edge far longer than most knives in my experience.

If need be I can make a long video extolling their virtues and history. I may break out into song, which would be a bad thing.

• Like 2

Could the choice be more obvious? http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Delica-Green-ZDP-189-Folding/dp/B001CO0224

I am a die hard fanboy of the endura and delica models, but that's only because they are absolutely perfect. Basic versions in flat grind are the best. ZDP189 versions or super blue are fancy steel that will stay sharp an absurd amount of time, but the more common VG10 versions hold an edge far longer than most knives in my experience.

If need be I can make a long video extolling their virtues and history. I may break out into song, which would be a bad thing.

That's very much like what I'm looking for!!! That plane may have to wait!!

Please do make a video, sing if you care to (I require the Madmax bike as a back drop, since it's bike weather) but do it quick! Dad's B-day is 8-8!!!

Flat grinds cut so damn good.

Get him a Lansky knife sharpener It will put the best edge on his cheap knife for ever and he will love using it.

All the knifes in my house you can shave with. About $50 with ruby hone and stand

Thanks for the feedback (keeping it filed for myself), but my Dad simply will not take the time to sharpen a knife. I know he won't. :( His interests are primarily watching Fox News and NASCAR, which are both full-time activities when he's doing them. Even the "expensive" knife I've decided on will become dull in a few years, he won't sharpen it then either....

...the good news is that I'll sharpen, or pay to have done so, a quality knife for him! :) Not gonna waste my time with junk though...

You want something in a really good steel. If I was you I would look at the spiderco in a S30v or even zdp-189. The list price on a spyderco delcia in zdp189 is $154.99 ZDP189 is a super steel thst will hold an edge forever. In fact you have to have special sharpeners because the steel is so hard. So its perfect for your father. The steel should be your number one concern.

I've got one. They can be picked up for around $65 if you are patient. If you don't want to bid snipe for months, a ZDP model will generally be available for around $85-95. Any good sharpener will do. The equivalent VG10 versions are very nearly as good and generally cost 65 & 55 respectively, but patient bid sniping can get one for around $35 if you try for a few months. Some reading I have done has given mixed reports. Some assays of VG10 models reported as hard as HRC 65, and as low as 60. The only report I could find about any one testing a ZDP model reported HRC 67. Lots of tool steels can get that hard, but they would be brittle. (For example L7 tool steel if treated properly can make cutters around 72 HRC, but in a thin knife would be very vulnerable to chipping, and is not stainless.)

ZDP 189 is very good, but it is still just metal. I jokingly call it" magical unicorn meteor steel", but in reality it is just a bit better than the excellent VG10 or some other good steels. It has a fine crystaline structure, so that it will take a very keen edge. It is very hard, and very durable, and strong and very wear resistant. It doesn't need special sharpeners, but it doesn't sharpen or dull quickly. Most companies won't mess with steels this good because machining them for produciton knives is generally not cost effective. It wears tooling quickly and is hard to get to fine shapes without overheating and warping, etc. So for instance, mine was easily sharp enough to shave my arm yesterday, and I used the tip to shove into a shattered light bulb and rotate it out. there were a couple of very fine dings on the edge from this, which proves the steel is still fallible. So I just used a couple ceramic stones I had and got that out in maybe 5-10 minutes of work. I tend to keep my edges a bit sharper than most people would consider optimum which makes the edge more vulnerable to rolling. If you go too fine with the edge, knives don't cut as well because you polish out the micro serrations. (I've got an extremely fine ceramic stone that is so smooth that you won't see a difference unless you start with a very sharp knife. It will put a mirror polish on your edge. If you use it for a long time, all the marks from your other sharpening tools get smoothed away.) Then you have to get it imperceptibly sharper yet before they start cutting well again. To be honest, getting a knife that sharp is mostly an exercise in possibilities rather than a practical advantage. When I use a knife everyday for rough use a shaving sharp edge is good enough.

Thanks for the feedback (keeping it filed for myself), but my Dad simply will not take the time to sharpen a knife. I know he won't. sad.png His interests are primarily watching Fox News and NASCAR, which are both full-time activities when he's doing them. Even the "expensive" knife I've decided on will become dull in a few years, he won't sharpen it then either....

...the good news is that I'll sharpen, or pay to have done so, a quality knife for him! smile.png Not gonna waste my time with junk though...

Sharpen it yourself. The few times I've looked at professionally sharpenned knives I was disgusted. They use a wet ceramic wheel and use a fairly obtuse angle. People who pay to have their knives sharpened don't know the difference and they want them to stay "sharp" for a long time, so this makes sense. A good knife should hold an edge good enough for someone like your dad and mine for a few months of regular use. If you see him once every month or two, you should be able to keep a decent knife in acceptible condition with about 10 minutes of work with an eze lap diamond stone (get medium fine if you are only getting one.)

I've got one. They can be picked up for around $65 if you are patient. If you don't want to bid snipe for months, a ZDP model will generally be available for around $85-95. Any good sharpener will do. The equivalent VG10 versions are very nearly as good and generally cost 65 & 55 respectively, but patient bid sniping can get one for around $35 if you try for a few months. Some reading I have done has given mixed reports. Some assays of VG10 models reported as hard as HRC 65, and as low as 60. The only report I could find about any one testing a ZDP model reported HRC 67. Lots of tool steels can get that hard, but they would be brittle. (For example L7 tool steel if treated properly can make cutters around 72 HRC, but in a thin knife would be very vulnerable to chipping, and is not stainless.)

ZDP 189 is very good, but it is still just metal. I jokingly call it" magical unicorn meteor steel", but in reality it is just a bit better than the excellent VG10 or some other good steels. It has a fine crystaline structure, so that it will take a very keen edge. It is very hard, and very durable, and strong and very wear resistant. It doesn't need special sharpeners, but it doesn't sharpen or dull quickly. Most companies won't mess with steels this good because machining them for produciton knives is generally not cost effective. It wears tooling quickly and is hard to get to fine shapes without overheating and warping, etc. So for instance, mine was easily sharp enough to shave my arm yesterday, and I used the tip to shove into a shattered light bulb and rotate it out. there were a couple of very fine dings on the edge from this, which proves the steel is still fallible. So I just used a couple ceramic stones I had and got that out in maybe 5-10 minutes of work. I tend to keep my edges a bit sharper than most people would consider optimum which makes the edge more vulnerable to rolling. If you go too fine with the edge, knives don't cut as well because you polish out the micro serrations. (I've got an extremely fine ceramic stone that is so smooth that you won't see a difference unless you start with a very sharp knife. It will put a mirror polish on your edge. If you use it for a long time, all the marks from your other sharpening tools get smoothed away.) Then you have to get it imperceptibly sharper yet before they start cutting well again. To be honest, getting a knife that sharp is mostly an exercise in possibilities rather than a practical advantage. When I use a knife everyday for rough use a shaving sharp edge is good enough.

Thanks for the feedback (keeping it filed for myself), but my Dad simply will not take the time to sharpen a knife. I know he won't. sad.png His interests are primarily watching Fox News and NASCAR, which are both full-time activities when he's doing them. Even the "expensive" knife I've decided on will become dull in a few years, he won't sharpen it then either....

...the good news is that I'll sharpen, or pay to have done so, a quality knife for him! smile.png Not gonna waste my time with junk though...

Sharpen it yourself. The few times I've looked at professionally sharpenned knives I was disgusted. They use a wet ceramic wheel and use a fairly obtuse angle. People who pay to have their knives sharpened don't know the difference and they want them to stay "sharp" for a long time, so this makes sense. A good knife should hold an edge good enough for someone like your dad and mine for a few months of regular use. If you see him once every month or two, you should be able to keep a decent knife in acceptible condition with about 10 minutes of work with an eze lap diamond stone (get medium fine if you are only getting one.)

I found once you get the edge where it should be it takes just a minute to hone it back.

Friend came over the other night and has a swiss army knife. A few swipes with the ruby hone and it had a razor edge.

Agreed. I was allowing for the sort of continued long term abuse like I have to fix with my parent's knives when I visit. For examle my stepmother uses a glass cutting board. My dad works on a boat and about anytime he sits down he will pickup a rusty item and scrape all the rust off with whichever knife is closest to hand. Surpriisingly, it takes a bit of work to get their knives back to that starting edge after a few months.

Sorry no video yet. I just wasted a bunch of time talking to a camera which stopped recording. Probably just as well it was in danger of turning into a nutnfancy parody. I'll work on getting the script tight and trying again.

Ya' know, I hate to point to the thing that's right in yer face, but our local ranch/home suplly joint sells pocket knives for around $6 to $10 at the register display. Typically they have the combo 2.5 inch Serrated/strait edge blade. I use 'em all the time and they last for years...a least 3 (when I usually lose 'em) so just fuckin go get 10 of those little fuckers and keep the extras in a box. Give him a new one anytime you think his needs replacement. You'll have years and years worth of a gift for him for that $100. Your Dad seems like he's not the kind of fella that would want a $100 knife. Just make him happy, lots of folks aren't being cheap, they just aren't wasteful. He may appreciate your "Thrifty" thinking.

• Like 1