The cable provider blacked out CBS stations in a number of cities on Friday after the two companies failed to resolve their disagreement over transmission fees by the 5 p.m. deadline they had set. CBS said it was the first time in its history that it had been dropped from a cable system over a business dispute.

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

Woot fight over them dollars ya frigging mind control freaks

• Like 2

You're going to see a lot more of that as technology makes it easier for people to get all that stuff for free. I haven't had cable or sat in about 2 years and don't miss it. I can still see everything I want to, and I don't miss the 400 channels of crap that I had to pay for to get the 10 I watched. They're eventually going to have to go back to making their money off the advertising like it used to work at the dawn of TV.

• Like 1

I agree. Last year I made the mistake of getting roped into a 2 year agreement for Dish, because I wanted a DVR so I could catch my shows in my own time, plus watch the shows I want without waiting for them to end up on Netflix and Hulu. It was a piss-poor decision and I've felt that way since about 2 months after I got it.

Internet is replacing Cable, but the media companies are super resistant to adoption. If, say, HBO, would open up their services so that you could go to HBO.com, pay a $10-15/mo subscription service for on demand and live stream (like netflix), they could open up a whole new revenue base without relying on Cox, Time-Warner, Dish, DirecTV, and the like. I know plenty of people that don't have cable, but would pay for a HBO.com membership if that was an option. They could decrease piracy, increase profits, and expand programming very easily. Plus, marketshare and ratings numbers would be easier to track because they would be able to just look at page counters to figure out what's hot and what's not.

Edited by slippingaway

Technology changes are making it hard to make investment decisions. Today's darling can be thrown to the street in a day. I haven't had cable in 20 years. The old kingdom walls are crumbling. Watch the coming fight between E-cigs and tobacco companies. That should be interesting, too.

When I first saw this thread title "CBS Goes Dark", I thought, well that's nothing new, that happened a long time ago. electric_shock.gif I opened the thread expecting to see some new level of low they've sunk to, like maybe public cannibalism 011.gif

• Like 1

Technology changes are making it hard to make investment decisions. Today's darling can be thrown to the street in a day. I haven't had cable in 20 years. The old kingdom walls are crumbling. Watch the coming fight between E-cigs and tobacco companies. That should be interesting, too.

Same deal with beer companies and alco-pop companies. You see these waves of proposed laws to keep Mikes and Smirnoff Ice or whatever outa the grocery stores 'for the sake of the children!!!!" Who is sponsoring them? Beer companies losing market share to a generation which prefers other flavors.

I expect a lot of changes to come soon to the e-cig business. They are clearly selling something within the domain of the FDA, there are some real problems with the safety of the product and crazy amounts of false or misleading advertising issues. That can't last long before someone decides to start busting heads of liars and people putting dangerous crap into tubes that are supposed to be filled with other poisons.

When I first saw this thread title "CBS Goes Dark", I thought, well that's nothing new, that happened a long time ago. electric_shock.gif I opened the thread expecting to see some new level of low they've sunk to, like maybe public cannibalism 011.gif

Funny you should say that- I've long said that the only thing that could make Survivor interesting to me would be the introduction of a cannibal or two.

Same deal with beer companies and alco-pop companies. You see these waves of proposed laws to keep Mikes and Smirnoff Ice or whatever outa the grocery stores 'for the sake of the children!!!!" Who is sponsoring them? Beer companies losing market share to a generation which prefers other flavors.

I expect a lot of changes to come soon to the e-cig business. They are clearly selling something within the domain of the FDA, there are some real problems with the safety of the product and crazy amounts of false or misleading advertising issues. That can't last long before someone decides to start busting heads of liars and people putting dangerous crap into tubes that are supposed to be filled with other poisons.

Funny you should say that- I've long said that the only thing that could make Survivor interesting to me would be the introduction of a cannibal or two.

I don't watch anything on the so called "Big 3", I have no use for any of them.

Our local Fox affiliate in Birmingham is currently blacked out from Dish Network for the same reason. Personally I think America would be better off if every channel was blacked out for a year or two.

Now wait a minute, I got to have my Military channel and Discovery Channel, the rest can go to hell.

We have sat. For my wife (disabled/shut in) but there are very few networks that we watch together. Most of my entertainment is from Netflix and internet. Plus Saiga Forum, of course. Between work and my hobbies, just no time for all of the bull and drama!