That LEO on the first one was still a tool. "With my training...blah blah blah... it doesn't appear to be an automatic...blah blah blah...you can join our Reserves, we will let you shoot full autos...blah blah blah...maybe issue you one. He was back peddling like a motherfucker and wanting to leave the scene because he shit himself prior to approaching the guy with the suspected automatic sub gun.

My experience here in FL when the law showed up during one of our range days was the LEO didn't check the weapons to see if they were select fire, they heard them anyway so they started asking for stamps when they showed up. Everything was cool, we're in the Gunshine State, we whipped them out and overwhelmed them with paperwork from every NFA weapon on sight. We let them shoot the MG42 we had out at the time before they left.

In the war for public opinion, I think we all have an obligation to use tactics that work. There is a difference between a legal right and a practical method of persuading people. Is your goal to change the nation or to vent and feel like a hero?

This video expreses my views pretty well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im6CofA6824

I think this is a much more effective tactic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC31VaaAj54

I have a group of friends that carries both concealed and openly and somewhere in between. They all agreed that any time they carry openly they will be well dressed and presentable and reflect a good image on gun owners. i.e. Look and behave the opposite of James Yeager. Who do you think will convince the undecided people better?

Finally, a bit of fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhT-QKWRRkw

• Like 1

Open carry is just starting to take hold in a lot of states, the right is being reclaimed. As it does there will be people who are alarmed by it an will call LE.

This will be the result for a long while, until the public understands this right of American"s. . In Fl we still have the right to open carry if we are hunting, fishing or camping. Few know about the law as well as LEO's.

Call them names if you want but I feel he did a good job and both party's left with a positive feeling.

• Like 1

i think its a great concept but i wish hte derp heads would stop being combative and stop interrupting... look ma im on the tvs!!! i am all for carrying everyerwhere at all times, but i jus hate hearing these eeeediots voices in these vids..i guess if thats what it takes to get the public to chillax so be it. i can shoose not to watch the vids

In the war for public opinion, I think we all have an obligation to use tactics that work. There is a difference between a legal right and a practical method of persuading people. Is your goal to change the nation or to vent and feel like a hero?

This video expreses my views pretty well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im6CofA6824

I think this is a much more effective tactic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC31VaaAj54

I have a group of friends that carries both concealed and openly and somewhere in between. They all agreed that any time they carry openly they will be well dressed and presentable and reflect a good image on gun owners. i.e. Look and behave the opposite of James Yeager. Who do you think will convince the undecided people better?

Finally, a bit of fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhT-QKWRRkw

I think this baiting reminds cops of our rights and hopefully will introduce others to the fact that they have rights. I honestly didn't know a lot of this shit till these baiting vids came out. Driving truck in CA, I went through a border patrol checkpoint almost daily and had no clue that I really didn't have to talk to them. Hell, I'll admit to you guys, I had no idea what the 4th amendment was all about. Never too old to learn.

So while the educated see this as a bad thing. I can attest as an ex sheeple that these vids have more value than you might think.

• Like 1

I think GunFun was right on the mark. The first 2 videos that he gave as an example are exemplary. There is absolutely no reason in this day and age to simply strap on a gun and carry "just because I can". Yeah, it is your right. But don't be a dickhead about it and do it just to cause alarm. As pointed out in the video, there are far better ways to get your point across, many of them positive. No need to give anti-gunners more "ammo". Be smart. My state is an open carry state. Many times, when I am going out shooting, or just out for a stroll down by the river, I open carry. I sure wouldn't do it in the middle of my small town. I could, but damn! Sometimes you have to use some common sense, or as my mom used to say - use the goddamn brains that God gave you. I sure as fuck wouldn't do it in the middle of a populated area. I'm all for educating people of their rights, but this is just back asswards cop baiting and sensationalism. If I was anti - gun, this would make me more anti - gun. Think!, people. Use the goddam brains that God gave you. A cops job is hard enough without shit like this. An open carry civilians job is hard enough without shit like this. Discretion is the better part of valor.

Edited by coronet

My opinion is that you should carry openly when it is appropriate. Go ahead and stretch "normal", but don't act like a jerk while you do.

So if you live in TN or some place where it is no big deal, good for you. I don't think it is the most effective strategy to achieve general utterance, but it is wtithin your rights.

I sometimes carry openly when hiking around the woods, in WA, but that is within accepted behavior here. Some people might not be comfortable but most don't say anything about it. If I expect to encounter a lot of people I am probably going to choose something IWB.

Here in spokane, people would freak out if I carried conspicuously. So I carry concealed.

Work in a sporting goods shop? fine wear your 1911 in a yaqui slide. No big deal. Security guard? sure. Convenience store in a sketchy neighborhood? why not. Kindergarten teacher?- tuck that gun in. Just be reasonable.

There are options which are not absolutely concealed, but are not likely to provoke a needless confrontation. So go ahead and print.

There might be times when carrying in a protest could make sense, but honestly it would only take one idiot to make you a conspicuously armed guy in a riot. I don't trust the other members of a political protest to behave well. (And I think protests are ineffective generally)

I am as pro 2a as the next guy but I going to agree with cornet and others on this one. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. LEO is a finite resource, I would a rather see them spending this time catching bad guys not dicking with these knuckleheads. There job is hard enoug as it is. They could educate a lot more people in the same amount of time by different means.

I'm not sure about the argument that if you don't excercise your rights, you'll loose them....maybe. But you have the right to suck a dick too.....are you going to excercise that one?

Tony

haha.gif

Good point, but shouldnt the choice be left up to the individual? I open carry, thats how I want to carry. Others may not want to carry in this manner, but yet many still criticize us that do.

A couple of things I should have said at first.

The guy who did that video has done a couple others where he acts like a total jackass and clearly doesn't know what he was talking about. The cops were not as good at knowing their legal limits. He did better in this one, but I think the fact that he things a good way of getting people to take his side is strolling around downtown with a pot metal 22lr MP5 clone and cameras rolling tells you all you need to know about him. I think this guy does a very bad job of making us look good.

Also the cop did a good job of 1: realizing that there was no real threat. 2: clearly and calmly stating his level of intrusion, level of detention and his legal authority. 3: clearly stating when those had ended. 4: I think there is some shift in circumstances that can add to or remove "reasonable suspicion". In general a couple of guys like that probably look like they are trying to start a confrontation, but probably not like they are trying to start a crime. Since the same cops dealt with the same guys before a few times, in my opinion, that personal experience probably tips the scale in further of not having reasonable suspicion. (But maybe their were encounters we haven't seen that would give reason to tip the scale back the other way.)

There have been a couple cases that have stated that open possession of a firearm alone cannot constitute reasonable suspicion or probable cause. However, it is not very hard for a cop to find other circumstances that would reasonably raise suspicion. Let's be honest. We can talk about how it's OK and within our rights to carry every where and every way. That said, if some guy shows up in your neighborhood, I bet it does get your attention and make you wonder what's up. I'd also bet that most of us would give a quick pat check to our own gear. These guys are in a college town. If you were working security around a college campus and you saw these, I bet you would at least look into it. And probably you would decide that every thing you could choose to do or not do would make someone upset. There fore the cop-out for you would be to make it someone else's problem and call the cops.

The last time I went to the popular and designated shooting area on public land, I was the only car there, and a cop car pulled up to mine and clearly called in my plates. I kept doing what I was doing. Had they contacted me, I was prepared to ask them whether I had a right to be there, and whether they intended to detain me and whether they had any grounds for reasonable suspicion. When the obvious answer would be "no". I planned to say that it must be really annoying to have idiots waste their time by calling in legal activity and offer them a go with my toys. It didn't come up, but I do think everyone should have a couple scripts ready to get the cops on our side. Probably about half of them are anyway. The bonus is that with my script, it points out who the real trouble maker is.

I guess that I am glad where I live. I can go out into the country a few miles, where there is a popular shooting spot Unfortunatly, it is only about 25-30 yards. Good for pistol stuff. There are plenty of other spots, also. I can go down to the river, which entails passing through a few farmers gates. I always open, then shut the gates behind me. I always take a couple of trash bags and pick up debris. I have been contacted once by the guy that owned the land. He thanked me for the gate thing, and thanked me for picking up trash, and thanked me for not driving all over his crops. He must have been watching me. That's happened twice on two different places. Little things matter. It's called respect. It goes a long way. I have had people drive up and want to know what I was shooting, I'd offer them to shoot it, and then they would get out their own stuff to show me and offer me to shoot it. It's all good. There is no reason to provoke anyone, or try to scare them to make your point. If you are already shooting a shotgun or rifle, a pistol strapped to your side won't make any difference. I also clean up my own shells/hulls. It's easier if you put a large cheap blue tarp down first! lol.