I have a kadatyn combi which is nice but if youre lookin for multi purpose... theres potassium permanganate. Can be found at lowes or home depot in the water filter section. One crystal will do a gallon of water. If the water is real nasty just add more. Also, when mixed w sugar, it can start a fire in a pinch. Hope this helps.

Whoa....Ingesting potassium permanganate can be life-threatening, particularly in high concentrations. It causes gastrointestinal distress and possible burning, throat swelling that can result in suffocation, and it can lead to shock reactions and kidney damage, according to Potassium Permanganate Online UK. Even in concentrations as low as 1 percent, ingesting potassium permanganate can cause throat burning, abdominal pain and nausea. If you or someone else has swallowed any potassium permanganate, do not induce vomiting unless medical personnel instructs you to do so, advises Potassium Permanganate Online UK.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/190433-what-are-the-dangers-of-potassium-permanganate/#ixzz2bnugZ58x

Ok, so after reading a few more articles Im curious about the long term effects of consuming the above mentioned chemical. I understand it has multiple applications from purifying water to an antiseptic and fungal treatment. But before I run out and buy a bottle I want to ensure there are no long term adverse effects.

For grab-n-go I have Berkey Sport bottles. http://youtu.be/-kLUAVNUcmw

I will be putting together a solar still now that my emergency solar power system is done. A solar still can produce over a gallon of distilled water per square meter per day for only a few dollars to build. I plan to make 2 1 meter stills.

The downside of filters is they are temporary.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I use MSR MIOX - used by US Military but no longer available for consumers. About the sized of a Dry erase marker pen. I used it all across Africa, India and South America. Can buy military versions brand new on Ebay for about $80.00 Simple, 100% effective, and best of all it's small -- fits in your pocket. Basically a small battery and some electrodes are used to break salt crystals into mixed oxidants that kill the bugs but don't hurt humans -- similar to city water chlorination. However, you just carry around this little pen with some salt crystals and a battery inside. You aren't carrying around chlorine, you just make very small amounts of it out of the salt when you need it. One small battery does hundreds of liters -- no pumping required. Can also use in juices or other drinks that might be contaminated.

I've got a Sawyer PointOne.

0.1 Micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter

Removes 99.99999% bacteria and 99.9999% Protozoa

Polypropylene and polyethylene material is easily field maintainable

No residual chemical tastes

Comes with manufacture's 1 million gallon guarantee

Came with a water bottle but can be used in a gravity-feed bucket system with vinyl tubing.

Edited by Sim_Player

GUYS,

I HATE LIKE HELL TO ADVOCATE ANYTHING THAT CTD HAS, BUT I HAVE TWO OF THESE, AND THEY CLEAN DOWN TO .5 MICRON, AND REMOVE A WHOLE LOT ON NASTY STUFF FROM WATER.

I'M THINKING THAT I'D CUT THE LEGS OUT OF TWO PAIR OF NEW PANTY HOSE, PLACE THEM ONE INSIDE THE OTHER FOR A 4X PRE-FILTER TO PRESERVE THE LIFE OF THE MAIN FILTER.

HAVEN'T TRIED THESE OUT, HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO, BUT I'M CONFIDENT THAT I'LL HAVE CLEAN WATER IF I DO.

A QUESTION FOR THE LADIES IN THE AUDIENCE, DO PANTY HOSE COME IN DIFFERENT DEGREES OF MESH (OR WHATEVER YOU WOULD CALL IT) FOR A FINER FILTER EFFECT?

JESS1344

Click here: Ceramic Water Filtration System Filter Kit Includes Filter, Sock, Spigot. 0.2 Micron Efficiency

Already said better before me. Katadyne back pack foot pump. Tested, employed and works. Also FWIW, just a small bottle of cheap bleech with work with just a few drops per gallon of water. To neutralize the bleech smell and taste, get some vitamin C crystals from the health food store and experiment with just a small pinch to neutrallize the bleech in a gallon jug of water.

The vitamin C will also prevent scurvvvy if added to 25% alcohol/water. Cheap rum in barrels works best. It kept the British Navy nice and.....groggy. Plus it stopped scurvvy. It was not the limes. It was the rum. Good alcohol (ethyl) will also prevent radiators from freezing over solid but it is a good waste of good booze if you ask me. Hope this helps kinda somewhat. HB of CJ (old coot)

I like the the K.I.S.S. aspect to water purification. At least until you have time to work out a more permanent solution (i.e. charcoal/sand filter box, etc.)

"Bleach" has a very limited shelf life.

Electrolysis is interesting but, you need juice to make the "bleach salts" and the flow would have to be restricted. The same goes for ultra-violet light.

That takes me back to a good pocket-filter. My temp solution (1,000,000 gal) was $40.00 US.

Edited by Sim_Player

Whoa....Ingesting potassium permanganate can be life-threatening, particularly in high concentrations. It causes gastrointestinal distress and possible burning, throat swelling that can result in suffocation, and it can lead to shock reactions and kidney damage, according to Potassium Permanganate Online UK. Even in concentrations as low as 1 percent, ingesting potassium permanganate can cause throat burning, abdominal pain and nausea. If you or someone else has swallowed any potassium permanganate, do not induce vomiting unless medical personnel instructs you to do so, advises Potassium Permanganate Online UK.[/size]

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/190433-what-are-the-dangers-of-potassium-permanganate/#ixzz2bnugZ58x[/size]

So does bleach bro, and most any chemical treatment to water to make it potable. Its fairly safe in the amounts youd be using it in, and as stated can be found in the water filtration aisle at lowes...dont think itd be a regular additive if it was that dangerous.

ETA: i do advocate doing your own research and being safe. Would i use it for 3-5 days to get back to my kadatyn? Absolutely. Would i wanna live the rest of my life having to use it? I dont think so. It was used quite a bit in survival kits because of its dual fire purpose tho... lemme know if you decide to give it a shot.

Edited by LuPiN8oR

Our focus for now is getting the fluoride and chlorine out of drinking water and chlorine out of the shower water.

In drinking water chlorine is easy, it has a limited life anyway, it's the fluoride that is the tough nut, if I want my mind altered I will do it with much more fun and safe substances than industrial carcinogenic waste.

The shower has proven to be be the most difficult due to the variety of forms chlorine is used and the water pressure involved.

Still looking on that front.

• Like 1

GUYS,

I HATE LIKE HELL TO ADVOCATE ANYTHING THAT CTD HAS, BUT I HAVE TWO OF THESE, AND THEY CLEAN DOWN TO .5 MICRON, AND REMOVE A WHOLE LOT ON NASTY STUFF FROM WATER.

I'M THINKING THAT I'D CUT THE LEGS OUT OF TWO PAIR OF NEW PANTY HOSE, PLACE THEM ONE INSIDE THE OTHER FOR A 4X PRE-FILTER TO PRESERVE THE LIFE OF THE MAIN FILTER.

HAVEN'T TRIED THESE OUT, HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO, BUT I'M CONFIDENT THAT I'LL HAVE CLEAN WATER IF I DO.

A QUESTION FOR THE LADIES IN THE AUDIENCE, DO PANTY HOSE COME IN DIFFERENT DEGREES OF MESH (OR WHATEVER YOU WOULD CALL IT) FOR A FINER FILTER EFFECT?

JESS1344

Click here: Ceramic Water Filtration System Filter Kit Includes Filter, Sock, Spigot. 0.2 Micron Efficiency

Have a couple of these for SHTF usage. Actually if you take the pains to pre-filter particulate out its a good filter for restricted water use situations.

Even then I would boil afterwards for good measure if possible. Basically it's things like cholera you wish to avoid under those conditions.

For everyday use now, not so much.

Heres how im set up with regards to water. In my hi-speed minimalist pack in the truck (the get home bag), i have a little bottle of the potassium permanganate and an equal sized bottle of sugar (just in case a lighter dies and the flint strike doesnt work due to wet weather/lack of time), along w nalgene water bottles i use regularly. At home in the big pack resides the kadatyn combi which lasts for an obscene amount of gallons and some coffee filters that should extend its life if im filtering less than clear stuff.

• Like 1

I also pack coffee filters in my gear.

First I've heard of potassium permanganate. I may get some and "play with it".

I used to bring home potassium nitrate from high school chem and experiment. It always made my weed burn way too fast!!!! :P J/K

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1