I picked up a smith 386 xl hunter. Its a al\sc alloy frame 6 inch 7 shot 357 mag. Oh and its a heavy 30 Ozs. I decided I was going to try IWB carry. Its actually working great. I got a galco leather IWB holster and it prints no more than a glock 23 on my hip and the weight is about the same. Anyone else carry a hand cannon?

the 386 has been on my watch list for a while, haven't got to shoot one yet but they sure feel good in the hand. while most of my match shooting was with a semi-auto 1911 or Glock I like a wheel gun for carry. just lost out on a S&W model 13 so I'm still shopping but I don't come across many of the 386s which I take is a sign people like them and are keeping them not trading them.

I love mine. Ill never sell it. Its super light especially for a 6 inch barrel. I think this gun with a 3 inch barrel woukd be perfect ccw handgun. I had never seen a smith airweight revolver with a 6 inch barrel. I had to have it.

I haf my eye on a 686 plus 6 inch. After carrying this yesterday I picked up a 686 plus with 4 inch barrel it was a total porker.

I know next on my list is a short barrrl N frame.

I like .357, but in a wheel gun, Im a fan of .44 mag. I do want to shoot a .327 though. Congrats on the score!

The .327 is a sweet shooting .32. I have a Ruger SP101 3.1" w/Hogue wood grips. The larger grips/finger notches make control perfect. Almost 500 ft/lbs at 1500 fps gets attention.

• Like 1

I like my 3 inch Ruger SP101. Other than pinching a finger a bit, which I address by just grabbing it a bit differently with finger overlap, it's fun

For .44s, I like my 8 inch Model 29. Not sure I want to go shorter with that cartridge.

I have a full length 629 in .44 mag. It's a beast. Too heavy to carry and not fun to plink with (punishing recoil), IMHO.

My buddy had a Ruger Redhawk/Blackhawk (dunno) in .44 mag that fit great in my hand and I could shoot it all day. Dead-nuts accurate too. It felt lighter than my 629, just weird. The gun rotated perfect (thanks to the grip shape) and there was almost no felt recoil.

My daily carry is a Beretta Cougar .45. A wide grip (for big hands) and a rotating barrel that dissipates any recoil. She's a bit wide in the hips but, I love her for that. :)

Edited by Sim_Player

Ok... I gotta ask... While I think wheel guns are cool as hell. Why are you putting yourself at risk limiting yourself to 6-7 shots in a CCW weapon? When your heart rate is at 180 and you have tunnel vision, 6 shots with no quick reload is very optimistic. Especially if there is more than one person. That and no reload on your back unless you are well prepared to do so wouldn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

None of my carry shit has less than 11. My boy always carries an extra mag so he's at 28-30.

People at the local range were I take the wife, shoot at fixed targets and some are very good but like you said there you are in total control, out on the street you are not.

Adrenalin in the body is some strange stuff. It can make your harms shake,your eyes clear up and your heart to beat in away you never experienced before. Why it will make you over come symptoms of illness of injury while it is in you.

This is why instinctive gun training is so important because habit works with adrenalin.

I used to have the same concerns. False concerns of slow reloads. Then I attended training program for a week and when I was done I was open to the idea of a wheel gun as a viable defense option. It was a state thing when I worked for the GDC. Georgia department of corrections. I trained on a Kframe 38 speical smith.

I mean if you want to go all out look at the N frame 627 it holds 8 rounds of 357 so with one reload its 16 rounds of a real fight stopper. And I would bet money that someone with a revolver and some training would bet the pants off your avarage ccw holder with a glock. Its amazing how fast you can reload with a revolver once your taught the proper way to hold and manipulate the weapon during reloads.

I don't feel under gunned at all. Then again I also carry a keltec PF9 when I want something smaller. I carry it IWB@appendix and I use the extended 9 round mag so with one reload ive got 16 rounds. I carry a small mag as my reload in case I need to switch to pocket carry. So if I feel good to go with a 8/9 shot pussy ass 9mm then I'm very confident with a 7 round 357. Also I wear loose jeans,shorts, or tactical pants all the time, that means big pockets so in my strong side front pocket I carry three speed loaders loaded with 125 grain JHP, and one 6 round speed strip with 142 grain FMJTC if I for some reason need max penatration. So ill have 28 defense rounds with three reloads if I'm still alive after all that and the threat isn't taken care of, hopefully I'm close to home or my car cause ill need a rifle.

I used to share your views big john about revolvers. Before I was a corrections officer I would have never considered a wheel gun, they are old antiqued slow to reload and hold fewer rounds. Then I got trained to use one. And my whole outlook changed and I saw the revolver for something much more.

Auto pistols after 1935 are pretty much machines and therfore like modern cars they all look about the same, but revolvers are classy they are artful and beautiful. The only thing I feel is a disadvantage to carrying this revolver is the longer tube can be grabbed easily.

And as far as warm and fuzzy I feel all kinds of warm and fuzzy with my hand cannon on my side not under gunned at all.

I used to have the same concerns. False concerns of slow reloads. Then I attended training program for a week and when I was done I was open to the idea of a wheel gun as a viable defense option. It was a state thing when I worked for the GDC. Georgia department of corrections. I trained on a Kframe 38 speical smith.

I mean if you want to go all out look at the N frame 627 it holds 8 rounds of 357 so with one reload its 16 rounds of a real fight stopper. And I would bet money that someone with a revolver and some training would bet the pants off your avarage ccw holder with a glock. Its amazing how fast you can reload with a revolver once your taught the proper way to hold and manipulate the weapon during reloads.

I don't feel under gunned at all. Then again I also carry a keltec PF9 when I want something smaller. I carry it IWB@appendix and I use the extended 9 round mag so with one reload ive got 16 rounds. I carry a small mag as my reload in case I need to switch to pocket carry. So if I feel good to go with a 8/9 shot pussy ass 9mm then I'm very confident with a 7 round 357. Also I wear loose jeans,shorts, or tactical pants all the time, that means big pockets so in my strong side front pocket I carry three speed loaders loaded with 125 grain JHP, and one 6 round speed strip with 142 grain FMJTC if I for some reason need max penatration. So ill have 28 defense rounds with three reloads if I'm still alive after all that and the threat isn't taken care of, hopefully I'm close to home or my car cause ill need a rifle.

I used to share your views big john about revolvers. Before I was a corrections officer I would have never considered a wheel gun, they are old antiqued slow to reload and hold fewer rounds. Then I got trained to use one. And my whole outlook changed and I saw the revolver for something much more.

Auto pistols after 1935 are pretty much machines and therfore like modern cars they all look about the same, but revolvers are classy they are artful and beautiful. The only thing I feel is a disadvantage to carrying this revolver is the longer tube can be grabbed easily.

And as far as warm and fuzzy I feel all kinds of warm and fuzzy with my hand cannon on my side not under gunned at all.

While I usually carry a 45, it's been told to me that get as many rounds into your adversary as possible as they may not go down just cuz they're hit. I had an instructor that didn't care for the 45 just for the round count. For every opinion, there are probably 100 more that contradict it. So I'm not sure there is really a wrong answer for CC as long as you are comfortable with it. While I have a 380 that was given to me many years ago, it rarely leaves the safe as I don't like to carry any less than my 9mm. That said, even a 380 (which I'm not a fan of BTW) is better than no gun. The only round that I'm not crazy about is the 40. My son loves his. I think it's a "snappy" round and prefer the push of my 45's or the ease of control of the 9.

I'll look up some youtube vids of quick wheel gun reloads and maybe I'll understand better.

Yes. The proper way to reload a revolver is use right thumb to hit the cylinder release, then reach under weapon with left hand take control of the cylinder with your middle and ring finger of your left hand and push it open now those fingers are through the frame are in control or the cylinder. Then loop the other two fingers around the weapon, pinky around hammer and the index around top or barrel this will put your left thumb in position to push the ejector rod.

The whole time your doing that your pointing the weapon muzzle up to get gravity to assist on the cases ejecting.

And at the same time your doing the above your right and is retrieving your speedloader and then you got the cases out of the weapon and the speedloader In your right hand you turn the weapon muzzle down to let gravity assist the fresh rounds going into the cylinder, remember you have control of the cylinder with your middle left two finders and thumb to assist on lining up the speedloader. Then release rounds throw empty speedloader on the ground and slap the cylinder close with your left thumb.

With most all weapons you are taught to keep your strong hands grip on the grip. So its different but if you a gun guy and enjoy handing guns revolvers are fun. You can buy or load if you have a press dummy rounds and practice reloads. If you can handle a gun you can get fast at this if you practice.

Jerry52 you make a good point. And I Would say because of this adrenaline affecting you I think the supposed disadvantage of a revolver in slow reloads is diminished even more. No matter what you carry you must practice. I think a life or death shooting if you must reload your as likely to fumble an auto as much as a wheel gun.