Magpul+AK=match made in heaven...finally!  That is odd that there is no steel though.

Very true. Lol I'm hoping they make a moe hand guard for the ak.

Their MOE stock on the AK is genius.  I think the CTR wobbles less (ok, not at all) but it's pretty negligible.  AKs are supposed to flex, right?  A hand guard would be great.  Or maybe a shoulder thing. 

As far as the Korean mags go, yeah they are utter crap.  Magpul is indeed made in the USA (a good reason to support a lot of companies); I'm curious to see how these will perform. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Words cannot express my indifference.

To me it appears that the all steel, steel reinforced and all polymer crowds are the AK magazine equivalent of Dodge, Chevy and Ford owners.  Obviously, we are all an opinionated bunch on this website

Posted Images

Magpul is all I run in my AR's. There is no better AR mag IMHO. I am about as big of a fan of Magpul as it gets, and I am pleased they are moving to my area.

AK mags?....well....I am not sure about this. It is tough to beat the combloc mags. They are dependable and tried and true.

Magpul did a wonderful thing with perfecting the anti-tilt follower and poly mags for AR's. I just don't see anything that needs perfecting on the AK platform. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Well ummmm ahhhh, I kind of asked God for this a couple of years ago. maybe longer.... looks like it's happening,?  The thought was USA made,(three compliance parts) by someone who would get it right with some weight saving poly,that is not just another "range mag", with prices that won't be nutty, and if importation should stop... well you know...

yeah, the lack of window is still the big "huh?"

I know it. When I think of Magpul mags, this is the thing I always felt set them apart, as well as a few other things already mentioned. I guess I was hoping for a game changer in the US made AK mag market. I wont write them off just yet, as they may still release something like that in the future. Time will tell.

If they sell a steel-reinforced windowed mag, that would be perfect.

I've been seriously considering getting my FFL/SOT to begin producing AK SBRs from pistols - having a high-quality US-magazine to ship them with would certainly make 922r compliance a breeze (yeah, I know it's iffy if that's required for SBR, but I'll be erring on the side of caution). I wouldn't be willing to use any US mag that's on the market today.

• Like 2

I've been seriously considering getting my FFL/SOT to begin producing AK SBRs from pistols - having a high-quality US-magazine to ship them with would certainly make 922r compliance a breeze (yeah, I know it's iffy if that's required for SBR, but I'll be erring on the side of caution). I wouldn't be willing to use any US mag that's on the market today.

Is this a truly worthwhile venture when (if successful) you'd have to store guns for 9+ months?

Is this a truly worthwhile venture when (if successful) you'd have to store guns for 9+ months?

Planning not to do Form 4 sales. Batch production, everything will go out on a Form 3 or Form 5 for LE sales- both of which typically don't take nearly as long as form 4s. I might do the occasional local transfer, but it'll be a small part of the business.

I am fairly confident you will see a windowed, steel reinforced Magpul AK mag on the market within a year. They are very good at what they do, and have made some very minor but significant modifications to the original AR mag. They will not disappoint.

I would put the price somewhere in the $16 range when that mag is introduced.

• 3 weeks later...

That and steel as stated above ...

I watched some video interview with the magpul guy and he right out stated that this batch is not for military or LE use. He didn't call it a range mag, but he may as well have. He said something to the effect of 'there are so many AK variants out there, that it's impossible to get the one size fits all geometry right on the first go. This batch is to get the geometry down. We'll add steel and windows after tweaking to solve the complaints we get from this batch.'

The interview was by someone from ARFcom at shotshow 2014 if you want to look it up and transcribe a more accurate quote.

So don't put more faith in them than their manufacturer. If you want to finance improvements, by all means early adopt any product you believe in, but understand you aren't getting the final version.

• Like 1

That and steel as stated above ...

I watched some video interview with the magpul guy and he right out stated that this batch is not for military or LE use. He didn't call it a range mag, but he may as well have. He said something to the effect of 'there are so many AK variants out there, that it's impossible to get the one size fits all geometry right on the first go. This batch is to get the geometry down. We'll add steel and windows after tweaking to solve the complaints we get from this batch.'

The interview was by someone from ARFcom at shotshow 2014 if you want to look it up and transcribe a more accurate quote.

So don't put more faith in them than their manufacturer. If you want to finance improvements, by all means early adopt any product you believe in, but understand you aren't getting the final version.

Exactly why I just bought one lol whenever they do one with steel reinforcement I'll have several

Bedliner will make all sorts of shit just stick to them, and I wouldn't want the grit-heavy coating getting into the receiver.

I have coated several really beat up/rusty combloc mags with the Duplicolor that I had laying around from painting AK parts. It's worked just fine.

• Like 1

Duracoat should work really nice on them.  Planning on picking up a few "like new" Romanian steel mags in the next few days.  Or should I just get new Bulgarian steel mags for the same price?  The only difference is the Bulgarians use a plastic follower.

• Like 1

Duracoat should work really nice on them. Planning on picking up a few "like new" Romanian steel mags in the next few days. Or should I just get new Bulgarian steel mags for the same price? The only difference is the Bulgarians use a plastic follower.

I have some Bulgarian mags and they work great. Never had any problems. I like my Russian steel mags best though.

Edited by Ethan M

Steel combloc. Your Seattle Seahawks of AK mags. Built to destroy, not be destroyed.

And only wins one war every  ~ 36 years?

Edited by GunFun