Curious if there's a joke here that's flying right over my head, or if that's actually your boss.

If it is, wouldn't that generally mean "you're fired!" for him? If I remember right, you're in the trucking business, and a lot of those companies are zero tolerance on DUI, for all their employees, regardless of position.

• Like 1

Curious if there's a joke here that's flying right over my head, or if that's actually your boss.

If it is, wouldn't that generally mean "you're fired!" for him? If I remember right, you're in the trucking business, and a lot of those companies are zero tolerance on DUI, for all their employees, regardless of position.

That is actually my Boss, he is the General Manager of our branch of the company.

Not likely for him to be fired, but he will more than likely lose access to company vehicles.

Story is he was out at dinner & drinking with friends, had a few too many, decided to sleep a few hours in his car before going home.

Cops woke him up, he admitted to drinking too much and was trying to do the right thing, cops had no mercy.

Keys in possession + in driver's seat = DUI.

That is bullshit.

• Like 4

I've known people that have gotten a DUI in exactly this way.  It seems completely unfair, but it happens especially if the cop wants to be an asshole.  If you ever need to sleep off a buzz before driving home in your car and are sober enough to remember, always, ALWAYS shut off car and place keys outside of the vehicle.  Be sure they are out of immediate reach even if you were to open the door.  I've stashed them behind the passenger side rear tire in situations like that before.

If it's cold and you need the heat to literally not freeze to death, a cab is really the best answer.

I feel bad for the guy, trying to do the responsible thing and still gets screwed.

Shit like this is one of the reasons I quit drinking.

Edited by Tundra1
  • Like 1

Big John, I just can't agree with that one.

Kill yourself, no big deal, but kill an innocent...  Burn in hell.

Go to the coffee shop for a few hours, go for a long walk, get a ride home from friend or taxi...  Anything but drive drunk.

Yes, the law is bullshit.

• Like 4

They need to make it an intent law.

Less fines, no "points"

If you are not in "drive" and its first offense you get an "intent" ticket, this would include fines and proper education on all fifty states DUI and "intent" laws. I know on New Years there were tow companies offering free rides for you AND your car home back near the mil base in Florida.

I'd take a parking ticket any day, a bus, a taxi, anything but a DUI

No one without the clear intent of operating a motor vehicle should ever be arrested for this situation. At the risk of sounding like a cop basher, it takes a shitty one to ever enforce this bullshit law. 

I  mean it flies in the face of reason and obviously isn't the intent of the law.This is just rrevenue generation and a way to ruin a man's life. Hopefully with decent representation he can beat the rap!

They need to make it an intent law.
Less fines, no "points"

If you are not in "drive" and its first offense you get an "intent" ticket, this would include fines and proper education on all fifty states DUI and "intent" laws. I know on New Years there were tow companies offering free rides for you AND your car home back near the mil base in Florida.
I'd take a parking ticket any day, a bus, a taxi, anything but a DUI

Screw that! If it's not in drive you aren't driving thus no dui! that's horsefeathers!

Here if your keys are within 50ft of the vehicle and your drunk they can charge you.  Buddy got a DUI in a parking lot once.  DUI= dangerous, bad for you, and $$$$$ for them.

That's positively insane.

Well, it all depends folks.

I recall in Atlanta a few years back a well known "civil rights icon" who was known to have a drinking problem, was found intoxicated and passed out behind the wheel of his car, motor running, car in park, drivers side door open at a traffic light - by the Atlanta Police Department.

This same "civil rights icon" was found by the APD again - asleep in  his parked car on a interstate exit ramp and reeking of alcohol, and guess what? Charges were dropped in both cases.

That same "civil rights icon" acknowledged several drunk-driving charges, but insisted that he was never convicted.

The law can be an odd thing...can't it?

Edited by Jpanzer

If you killed one of my kids driving drunk, I would seriously think about doing very bad things to you.

That being said, people that show this kind of judgement don't need a hammer. They would probably be okay with counseling and/or a suspended license.

I'm really glad my days of being stupid never put me in jail. Mine wasn't a lifestyle, just stupid youth.

I'm really glad my days of being stupid never put me in jail. Mine wasn't a lifestyle, just stupid youth.

You ain't kidding.  I cringe to think how many times did I drink and drive when I was a young Marine.  Thank God I never hit or killed anyone.  I hope this guy has a good day in court, and it is a shame it is even coming to that.  Countless times I have slept it off in my vehicle before driving. 

Big John, I just can't agree with that one.

Kill yourself, no big deal, but kill an innocent...  Burn in hell.

Go to the coffee shop for a few hours, go for a long walk, get a ride home from friend or taxi...  Anything but drive drunk.

Yes, the law is bullshit.

I haven't had a drink in over 7 years Chile.  I agree with you.  I hate drunk drivers even though back in the day I have chalked up more than a few drunk miles.  While I fully understand why this law is entact.  I don't see the need to enforce said law forcing people whom are already "stupid" to make a decision based on stupid laws.  I've never had a DUI, though I deserve many.  I know myself well enough to know that if this were the way things were when I used to party all the time, I never would have slept it off in my car.

Let people do the right thing.

Story is he was out at dinner & drinking with friends, had a few too many, decided to sleep a few hours in his car before going home.

Cops woke him up, he admitted to drinking too much and was trying to do the right thing, cops had no mercy.

Keys in possession + in driver's seat = DUI.

That is bullshit.

I dont even drink and I know you're supposed to throw the keys out the window as far as you can. This shit happens all the time.

well, he's fucked. unless he gets a excellent lawyer who knows the prosecutor and judge and are golfing buddies with them.

I dont even drink and I know you're supposed to throw the keys out the window as far as you can.

why do something like throw the keys out of your car? so you can't find them when you sober up? hide them nearby where you know you'll find them when you sober up.

about the dumbest thing you can do, besides driving drunk, is calling  a cab. cabbies will take advantage of your drunk state, and will put some serious bucks on the meter.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

well, he's fucked. unless he gets a excellent lawyer who knows the prosecutor and judge and are golfing buddies with them.

I dont even drink and I know you're supposed to throw the keys out the window as far as you can.

why do something like throw the keys out of your car? so you can't find them when you sober up? hide them nearby where you know you'll find them when you sober up.

about the dumbest thing you can do, besides driving drunk, is calling  a cab. cabbies will take advantage of your drunk state, and will put some serious bucks on the meter.

It's just a small idiot tax - way cheaper than a DUI. If you don't plan ahead, and get too intoxicated to provide your own transportation and haven't made arrangements in advance - an extra 5 or 10 bucks to a cabbie isn't a big deal.

Chile,

Tell your boss to prepare to have his auto insurance cancelled and be thrown into a high risk pool with ridiculous rates for 2 or 3 years.  If he  hires an attorney he can probably get a restricted license to go to and from work if the judge suspends his license for 6 months.  As stated above a taxi is a drop in the bucket compared to DUI costs.  The moral of the story is don't drink and drive.  It ain't worth what can happen.

Chile,

Tell your boss to prepare to have his auto insurance cancelled and be thrown into a high risk pool with ridiculous rates for 2 or 3 years.  If he  hires an attorney he can probably get a restricted license to go to and from work if the judge suspends his license for 6 months.  As stated above a taxi is a drop in the bucket compared to DUI costs.  The moral of the story is don't drink and drive.  It ain't worth what can happen.

He wasn't driving! That's the kicker of that moral...

• Like 1

Drunk people do stupid shit. This was 20+ years ago but I was at a party one night where a friend borrowed keys to go sleep it off in another friends car. The next day (just a few hours later I got a call that he was dead). Seems that at some point his mind changed from sleeping to taking the car for a drive and hit a tree @ an estimated 90mph. Closed Casket. After that day I started disabling cars if I knew they had too much...pissed some friends off at the time but they always understood the next day. The laws a bitch but sometime shit happens, wish they could just boot the car so it couldn't be moved and save everyone the grief.