Hey Guys:

I was wondering what the word is about .22 LR supplies ever getting back to normal. I wonder if it is making a comeback because I've been seeing some small 50-round boxes the last couple of weeks. Of course, stores limit how many boxes you can buy. I got a whopping three boxes today at Wal-Mart. 

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed. It's just that I miss the boxes of 525 - to - 550 rounds of .22 LR ammo. 

Sorry to be the harbringer of bad news squeaky but the 22lr ammo situation is still pretty damn bleak. Anytime reasonable prices show up its bought out in seconds online, what stays in stock is so overpriced you'll see its cheaper to run an ak. I've seen a little bit in stores here and there but its snapped up fast even with limits in place. Hopefully one day things will return to semi-normal and we can just stroll down to the store and pick up a brick just for fun on the weekend. But we have a long ways to go before we see that.

Edited by LuPiN8oR

Hey Guys:

I was wondering what the word is about .22 LR supplies ever getting back to normal. I wonder if it is making a comeback because I've been seeing some small 50-round boxes the last couple of weeks. Of course, stores limit how many boxes you can buy. I got a whopping three boxes today at Wal-Mart. 

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed. It's just that I miss the boxes of 525 - to - 550 rounds of .22 LR ammo. 

I don't even go to those places looking for ammo anymore, my favorite local shop will sell me .22LR @ .06 cents per round, and I really prefere to support them anyway. Every time I go to one of those bigbox stores they don't have anything on the shelves.

• Like 1

Just counted mine up

4880 mixed with another 500 on its way.

I've got a few firearms chambered in 22lr and my young children are currently recoil sensitive. My five year old weighs 32lbs her almost three year old brother weighs 28lbs and yes he shoots with help. My almost seven year old daughter will shoot larger stuff but she does way better with the 22lr

Probably not for a long time!!!

I think until everyone has 5-10k rounds sitting on their shelf at home, and the "dealers" have 20-50k rounds in their shelf, then maybe we will see 22 on shelfs. Problem is I bought my 22lr so I could do cheap mag dumps, 250 rounds was a light day, 500-1000 rounds a month would be my norm. Probably 3-6k a year though. I won't be happy til I have 7-8k

Go to Canada, supposedly they have it stocked & stacked in their stores like we used to.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, "It will never get back to 'normal'."

Yeah and it is ridiculous that .22 lr JHP costs as much as 7.62 x 39.

I hope it is. Im just so tired of reading about it. Every gun board, every 3rd post for the last 10 months has been about 22lr. One more bitch aint gonna bring the prices down or the availability up

I hope it is. Im just so tired of reading about it. Every gun board, every 3rd post for the last 10 months has been about 22lr. One more bitch aint gonna bring the prices down or the availability up

You know what I'm tired of?  I'm tired of people who complain about people who complain about price and availability.  Why click the thread if you're so tired of reading about it?

• Like 1

You know what I'm tired of?  I'm tired of people who complain about people who complain about price and availability.  Why click the thread if you're so tired of reading about it?

Good one!

• Like 1

Good one!

haha.gif haha.gif haha.gif

Go to Canada, supposedly they have it stocked & stacked in their stores like we used to.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, "It will never get back to 'normal'."

Yeah and it is ridiculous that .22 lr JHP costs as much as 7.62 x 39.

Yeah but it gives me more reason to shoot the AK, which I prefer anyway.

Only time Im shooting 22 any longer is to work on long range shooting on a 100m range. 

Still cheaper than 308.

I think this guy is dead on. 

Between mindless hoarders, LGS not putting their back order in the store front, and just more consumption from all the guys who bought an M&P 15-22 or similar so they can play hi-speed, things will be silly for a while.

I still have a few bricks left from circa 2009, and will wait to buy untill I see decent stuff under $20 a brick.

• Like 1

I am on the board of a small Conservation Club, who's annual fundraising banquet is next weekend (2-22-14). We raise a lot of money to promote hunting and fishing to local youth, sponsor kids to take the Hunter Safety Course, and donate to various causes that benefit youth.

We have a huge turn out because we generally have about 12-13 guns that we raffle, auction, and make available to "win" in various games. One "give-away" that has always been a HUGE hit with both adults and the children is the .22 we draw for, and give to some lucky kid - no purchase required - just sign up. But sadly the prize has a big let down hiding.... NO AMMO!!! I really feel sorry for the poor kid who won last year's gun, and the one who will win this years (and for how many more years to come?) - who will not be able to buy ammo to use their new treasure.

I certainly hope things change for the better sometime in the near future, but I am not very optimistic when I see people hoarding ammunition.

I'm shooting 7.62x39 and 5.56 too keep my personal supply of 22lr up just in case SHTF.

1 box limit at any local shops at three times old prices. I can shoot  my 7.62x39 and 5.56 as cheap.

Its sad how true this statement is. A few of us went out to the country for some shooting, sighting in, plinking, ect....I always take my M&P 15-22, just because it is fun and economical to shoot. I left it at home and took my AR and my Ak because I can make AR ammo cheaper than 22lr, and I can buy factory 7.62 for about what 22lr is selling for. When I realized that fact, it really hit me how nuts this is.

I am on the board of a small Conservation Club, who's annual fundraising banquet is next weekend (2-22-14). We raise a lot of money to promote hunting and fishing to local youth, sponsor kids to take the Hunter Safety Course, and donate to various causes that benefit youth.

We have a huge turn out because we generally have about 12-13 guns that we raffle, auction, and make available to "win" in various games. One "give-away" that has always been a HUGE hit with both adults and the children is the .22 we draw for, and give to some lucky kid - no purchase required - just sign up. But sadly the prize has a big let down hiding.... NO AMMO!!! I really feel sorry for the poor kid who won last year's gun, and the one who will win this years (and for how many more years to come?) - who will not be able to buy ammo to use their new treasure.

I certainly hope things change for the better sometime in the near future, but I am not very optimistic when I see people hoarding ammunition.

Exactly how much ammo would one have to own to be "hording"?

I shot 300 rounds of 5.45 yesterday (most I've shot from one gun in a single trip) felt kinda guilty about burning the ammo, then did the math and found that it only cost me $50.  My AK-74m has replaced my 10/22 it seems.

It may be three years out but eventually things have to level out.  If .22 lr ammo stays as expensive as the larger calibers the .22 lr rifles will be safe queens and sales will go the way of the dodo (sp?).  

I was going to buy a HK .22 rifle but forget that noise for now.  

Exactly how much ammo would one have to own to be "hording"?

I used to buy a case (5000 rounds) of match ammo per season when I was competing in smallbore matches, and would try and have 1000-2000 rounds of hunting/plinking ammo on hand in case my daughter wanted to take the GSG-5 out for the afternoon. I had 2000 rounds of bulk pack hollow points on hand when the shortage hit, and have not bought any more because I refuse to pay $90 for a brick of crappy ammo (when and if I can find it)! I put traveling to matches on hold, and the GSG-5 has stayed in the rack. I hunt small game with a Winchester 1885 single shot, - so I am not using what I have very fast. Years ago I bought a boatload of 5.45X39 at a very good price, and use my '74 to "plink" with. Not sure if this really answers you question, but I think it is up to the individual to leave a little for others, and not buy it up and gouge people on GB!