>  

>  

I took possession of my 882 lb safe this afternoon around 2:30 p.m.  After unboxing it, inspecting for damage, and getting it as close to my front door as possible I signed the freight bill and the tractor trailer took off.  I had four large, stout guys help me get it in my house, and into place.  4-1/2 hours later it rests nestled in my hiding spot.  An appliance dolly rated for 1000lbs, a furniture dolly, and some brute muscle is what it takes to move this thing.

Good luck to anyone that wants something this big & heavy.

Semper Fi,

Gunny NR

Truck pulls up to house...anticipation starts!!

S20140217_153918_zpsfb221374.jpg

Safe is being off loaded...
20140217_154037_zpsd7129724.jpg

After I got the box off and inspected everything and noted a few spots of "finish" wear due to them using tie down straps I got it wheeled up to my front door.

20140217_160124_zps02ac404e.jpg

After that I cut away all the cardboard and used a thick section of the Styrofoam that protected the front locking mechanism we got this rolling in the house.  Quick detour...I had to go to get a dolly from Tractor Supply rated for 1000lbs...$146 BUCKS!! Yes, I returned it.

20140217_165024_zps027818fd.jpg

That lip may not look like much but try squatting 882lbs!!

20140217_165010_zps0dde3d04.jpg

Once we got it in the front door we had to move it over carpet and tile.  We laid the front of the dolly down on a furniture dolly to use it as a pivot point.  That same lip we had to go up in the beginning...yep, had to down now.

20140217_165352_zps75472bb9.jpg

20140217_165500_zps3b257173.jpg

Once it got through the household area it had to out the back door, around the house, and then in a smaller door.

20140217_165415_zpsbe3c3bdd.jpg

Here is the door it now has to go in.  We had to remove the steel legs that held it up for the pallet jack and slide it carefully through the doorway.  There was exactly 1/4" to spare after we lined it up on the back side to allow the locking spindle and combo to clear.

8674f8bb-5e73-457e-b764-024ace565b80_zps

I'm not showing where it's final resting place but DAMN WAS IT A BIO'TCH GETTING IT THERE!!!

Enjoy, I know I am,

Gunny NR 

I can't believe it comes in a box that has in ginormous letters "GUN SAFE", on the side of it.

That was my exact first thought... If your neighbors didn't know you have guns before, they damn sure do now! Or I suppose they could assume that you have a priceless collection of Poke' Mon cards and demand only the finest security to store them.

My second thought is that your tile floors must be top notch to not have busted all to hell from the weigh of that monster rolling over them...

All jokes aside, I wouldn't be at all happy about how they packaged that and I for certain wouldn't buy their product based on that alone. If you are of the mind to do so, you may want to relay that information to the manufacturer. I wasn't even happy about it when my cheap ass 380lb Sentury safe said "Gun Safe" on its box and it wasn't even close to as prolific.

If nothing else, I encourage you to burn that box and not leave it out for "Otto The Trash Man"...

Otherwise, contrats on your awesome new safe! I'm jealous!

• Like 2

I think the final resting place for that thing should have been right inside the front doorhaha.gif

I have one that is 60 x 30 x 29 at 990 lbs....it made it inside the garage and that was it.

that looks nice, congrats

and a great price

mine

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-national-safes-ps-3.html?tab=colors&pg_id=6

Edited by read_the_wall

I think the final resting place for that thing should have been right inside the front doorhaha.gif

I have one that is 60 x 30 x 29 at 990 lbs....it made it inside the garage and that was it.

and a great price

mine

Mine is Height: 59" Width: 40" Depth: 30 1/8".

Of course, now with the safe installed in your hiding spot, you'll have to shoot the guys who helped you move it.

haha.gif

There's no need for violence when there is the best memory wipe Earth has even known... WHISKEY...

Alright... Joke is over... What's the scoop, Gunny? You like it or not? Pros, Cons?

Ahhh, Makers Mark 46...my liquid vice!!

To answer your question with a simple answer, "I love this safe!"  

PRO's:

1) It is frick'n HEAVY as hell but not TOO LARGE where a few strong guys, some standard moving equipment, a bit of sweat, and a few dozen curse words can't get the job done moving it where you want it to go,  

2) There is a 5% discount off the publish price for active & retired military and law enforcement,

3) The finish is nice, semi-glossy, and evenly applied,

4) The interior is fully carpeted including the shelves and upper level storage,

4) A regular dehumidifier is included in the price and for a small fee you can upgrade to a large, 18" and have it all installed prior to you receiving the safe (this is what I did).

5) The three, 17 rifle, weapon bays offer plenty of room for growth...for me at least.

6) The door rack can easily holds eight pistols, some cleaning gear, and important documents,

7) Locking BOLTS!! Fourteen of them, all active and all are 1.5".

8) Fire protection...90 minutes at 1400 degrees!

9) LaGard, UL Listed Type 1 electronic lock...this part is long but details JUST HOW GREAT THESE ARE!!! U.L. defines Type 1 Electronic Locks as highly resistant to expert manipulation.  It should be noted that there really isn't much "manipulating" you can do with an electronic lock.  There are no tumblers or wheel packs that could betray the combination.  There are no mechanical auto-dialers that can run through the many thousands of combinations in a matter of days.  In fact, on most locks, if you enter the wrong combination too many times the lock will disable itself for several minutes, making any kind of guesswork or systematic dialing attacks somewhat cumbersome.  In addition, electronic locks are completely radiological proof, making them much cheaper equivalents to a Group 1R Combination lock (x-raying a electronic lock will reveal a circuit board...not very helpful in determining the combination).  However, despite these inherent strengths of electronic locks, there are certain elements of lock design that are essential to security.  The first is that the combination itself should always be kept in the lock itself on the inside of the door.  Otherwise, a theif could simply replace the keypad and dial the lock open with a default code.  The second is that the lock should be stored in some kind of NVRAM (Non-volatile Random Access Memory).  This means the lock will retain the combination even if its source of power (usually a battery) is removed.  The third is that the lock itself should initiate the draw-back of the bolt, not the keypad.  This prevents a savy theif from cutting the wires to the keypad and applying a voltage to the wires to draw back the bolt.  A fourth consideration (non-security related) is that the batteries should be in the keypad.  This prevents legitimate user from being permanently locked out when the battery dies and the safe is locked.

U.L. also defines the minimum number of combination that the lock will allow, which is 1,000,000.  

10) The video's speak for themselves: http://www.steelwatergunsafes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=15

CONS:  (None are really "safe" specific)

1) The freight company called the morning of the delivery to let me know they would be arriving between 1200 p.m. and 5 p.m,

2) The one guy team that delivered the safe didn't speak a word of English...luckly I had a buddy of mine that was fluent in Spanish,

3) The box arrived with the words "GUN SAFE" in HUGE, BLOCK, letters.

4) The safe did have a few, minor, cosmetic rubs where the freight company probably used tie down straps to secure it...side step to a PRO...Steelwater is reimbursing $121.53 back to my account!!   

and a great price

mine

Mine is Height: 59" Width: 40" Depth: 30 1/8".

I looked yours up,,, you got a great deal on that one

I thought I would never say this,,,,,but,,,,,yours is bigger than mine...

I paid a little over $1,500 dollars for the safe and dehumidifier...$121 and change is coming back to me within 7 to 10 days.  YEAH, I GOT A GREAT DEAL!!

Your comment is priceless!!  Love it!  haha.gif

Thanks everyone for all the comments and helping me think through the process.  I truly believe I spent my money wisely and will have this safe for the rest of my life.  It's a KEEPER!

Gunny NR

Thanks for taking the time to write that review!

I've always been a fan of mechanical locks (I'm a mechanical guy in general) but I've never really researched the argument before. That's some interesting food for thought.

I also watched all of their youtube videos and found them to be rather impressive (they could use some new HD vids though).

My only other question is whether or not they're made in the USA. For some reason, that information isn't obviously available on their website. If so, and they agree to duct tape/spray paint over the giant GUN SAFE billboard on the side of their box prior to shipment, I'll be looking at them very seriously when I'm ready to buy a "big boy" safe.

Thanks again for the awesome write up! If we ever do a gun safe sticky I think yours is a good place to start. I'd be happy to follow it up with a review at the opposite end of the spectrum, my bargain basement 21-gun Sentry (which I believe also has its place in the world and not in the trash).

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no they aren't US made, for two reasons....

US made products are notoriously flaunted as so and...

It has (according to some US made gun safe manufacturers) the tell tale typical gun safe made in Asia dimensions.

Plus the dimensions on the box are in Millimeters.

Edited by Mullet Man

I was thinking the same, but I'd like an owner to comment. The carton it came in and the product itself no doubt have country of origin on them.

The older I get, the more important it is to me to buy expense stuff that is made in the USA (I know... I'm saying that on a forum dedicated to imported firearms)...

edit: DOH! You made your metric comment while I was replying... Well... Either they're an American company that has their shit together or it's a Chinese safe... :(

Edited by Maxwelhse

Thanks for taking the time to write that review!

I've always been a fan of mechanical locks (I'm a mechanical guy in general) but I've never really researched the argument before. That's some interesting food for thought.

I also watched all of their youtube videos and found them to be rather impressive (they could use some new HD vids though).

My only other question is whether or not they're made in the USA. For some reason, that information isn't obviously available on their website. If so, and they agree to duct tape/spray paint over the giant GUN SAFE billboard on the side of their box prior to shipment, I'll be looking at them very seriously when I'm ready to buy a "big boy" safe.

Thanks again for the awesome write up! If we ever do a gun safe sticky I think yours is a good place to start. I'd be happy to follow it up with a review at the opposite end of the spectrum, my bargain basement 21-gun Sentry (which I believe also has its place in the world and not in the trash).

Not a problem, it was a good time.  I too am a fan of the mechanical locks but based off the UL listing it was almost a no brainer and had I gotten the 39 gun safe the electronic lock is an additional fee whereas it was included in this one.

I know they are not made in the USA nor do I know for sure what country they are made in.  I will call tomorrow and find out and edit this post.

I too had a bargain basement, "Elite, Stack-On" 20 or 21 gun safe from Dicks Sporting Goods.  It did me well for a while until I had to start stacking rifles on rifles.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no they aren't US made, for two reasons....

US made products are notoriously flaunted as so and...

It has (according to some US made gun safe manufacturers) the tell tale typical gun safe made in Asia dimensions.

Plus the dimensions on the box are in Millimeters.

Your correct, I just dont have an answer as to exactly where yet.

I was thinking the same, but I'd like an owner to comment. The carton it came in and the product itself no doubt have country of origin on them.

The older I get, the more important it is to me to buy expense stuff that is made in the USA (I know... I'm saying that on a forum dedicated to imported firearms)...

edit: DOH! You made your metric comment while I was replying... Well... Either they're an American company that has their shit together or it's a Chinese safe... sad.png

I love made in the USA too but the pricing kills me...the Marine Corps doesnt pay enough for me to blow through my money. 

Baaah! Your excellent multi-quote response is going to make it hard for me to stay on track, but I'll try! smile.png

1.) I learned a lot from reading it and researching it at the fact. I'm glad you enjoyed writing the review.

2.) I look forward to hearing about their response. It sounds like their safes are very competitively priced. Maybe they could increase the cost 20% and make them here? I sure hope so... I like what I've seen so far from them... (Maybe that cost would come with a guy that speaks English to drop it in my driveway too).

3.) WOW!!! A "stamp collector" with a stack-on? I can't even begin to express how happy I am that you bought a real safe. I don't care where it came from or what the value was knowing what little I know about what you are keeping in it. Your collection being 99.99% secured from even the most sophisticated and athletic crack heads is honestly a load off my mind as just a normal citizen walking around the USA. I thought you were just upgrading to something bigger and slightly more secure!!!

4.) I didn't get on a big made in USA kick until a former coworker pointed out to me how easy it is to do. He was getting Eklind hex key sets for free from Menards after the rebate and they're a USA made company. Granted, that's not a safe...

4.a.) I can't do much about your Corps pay other than vote pro-military... sad.png I kicked a bit to the USO and got a couple others to jump in as well. Hopefully you get something from that. Thanks for your service and be safe!

5,) Soo... How about that safe sticky? Even my lowly collection is worth securing (like most guys,my safe contains 1000% of its initial purchase cost).. Think that idea has legs? I'll snap a few pics of my junk and say what I have to say about it if you can get a sticky going. Sounds like you have an excellent case for pro/con on your new vs, old as well... That's 3 reviews right there if the idea is worth the time! I don't want to screw with it unless it's going to hang on for awhile for others to get value from years from now.

edit: 6.) I'm still not sure how I feel about digital vs. mechanical... The UL stuff is fine and good, but I'm still paranoid about an electric lock screwing me.. Not that I'm super paranoid (most days I'm just very paranoid), but what happens if someone sets off a device that ESDs all electronics? I suppose that is a question that can't be answered here, but that is primarily what is on my mind. I want my guns available at all times if I'm alive enough to get to them, no matter (or especially) the outside world scenario.

Edited by Maxwelhse

edit: 6.) I'm still not sure how I feel about digital vs. mechanical... The UL stuff is fine and good, but I'm still paranoid about an electric lock screwing me.. Not that I'm super paranoid (most days I'm just very paranoid), but what happens if someone sets off a device that ESDs all electronics? I suppose that is a question that can't be answered here, but that is primarily what is on my mind. I want my guns available at all times if I'm alive enough to get to them, no matter (or especially) the outside world scenario.

That's why you get a cheap safe with an electronic lock.

It will keep most crack heads out, it's fast to get into, and if we do get hit by an EMP, it won't be that hard to break into it.

That's my reasoning to counter my jealousy of you guys with better safes.

haha.gif

5,) Soo... How about that safe sticky? Even my lowly collection is worth securing (like most guys,my safe contains 1000% of its initial purchase cost).. Think that idea has legs? I'll snap a few pics of my junk and say what I have to say about it if you can get a sticky going. Sounds like you have an excellent case for pro/con on your new vs, old as well... That's 3 reviews right there if the idea is worth the time! I don't want to screw with it unless it's going to hang on for awhile for others to get value from years from now.

I could see the possibility of making it a sticky...but where would it get pinned? I too could snap a few pictures of my new "tuna can" cleaned out...heck I might even get inside of it to show you how much room it has (21.53 sq ft).  It is too bad that I do not have a lot of pictures of my old safe to compare it to.  I'm sure if we work this together it could go somewhere.

Gunny NR

I could see the possibility of making it a sticky...but where would it get pinned? I too could snap a few pictures of my new "tuna can" cleaned out...heck I might even get inside of it to show you how much room it has (21.53 sq ft).  It is too bad that I do not have a lot of pictures of my old safe to compare it to.  I'm sure if we work this together it could go somewhere.

Gunny NR

I will support the cause. Here is my old gun "safe" (i.e. gun cabinet). It offered no guarantee, no theft or loss protection, and if thieves were too lazy to use the multiple pry bars, saws, or die grinders, I had readily available in the garage to open it on the spot, they could have just carried the whole thing out like an ATM from a convenient store. At this point I had 5K of firearms, accessories, and ammunition secured with a $300 dollar cabinet:

post-37530-0-39829700-1393395072_thumb.jpg

Fast forward to my existing safe, shown earlier in this post, and I have additional fire protection and insurance from Liberty on theft and fire loss, more room, and have $40k with of firearms, accessories, ammunition, and other valuables protected for a $1400 dollar investment. Thieves will no longer carry it off. It is 1000 lbs unloaded and bolted into the concrete floor with (4) 3/4" x 6" lag bolts. But the greatest thing I have gotten with my safe is peace of mind that when I leave the house, everything will be there when I return.

That's why you get a cheap safe with an electronic lock.

It will keep most crack heads out, it's fast to get into, and if we do get hit by an EMP, it won't be that hard to break into it.

That's my reasoning to counter my jealousy of you guys with better safes.

haha.gif

I went the other way... Mechanical lock on a cheap safe.. At 380lbs dry I'll call it a "safe", but it really is an anti-meth-head gun locker. Another $200 bought me a steel exterior door, spring return hinges, and keypad deadbolt for room the safe is in... If they can't find the safe, they can't steal the safe... That's where my budget ends at the moment... Oh.. I also put a $30 "fire rated" (I think 30 minutes) safe in there for passports and and stuff. Like you said, I'm just trying to keep them out off the most deviant minds. Professional burglars could be into my stuff in no time, I'm sure.

Gunny NR

General discussion makes sense to me. This is a gun forum and guys talking about gun safes is pretty "general" for this audience.

I suppose if you install the safe in a slug of concrete in your backyard and then plant grass over it Political might be appropriate? :)

Oh... You hear back about country of origin?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just last year where I live in northen Indiana a local resident had their 900LB safe that was bolted to the wall stolen! The thieves used a saws all and cut the wall out probably used an appliance dolly and several large guys to roll it out. So just because it is big and heavy is no gaurantee it cannot be stolen, so if you have it well hidden that may very well be your best bet. I tired to add a link but it did not work you can find the sory at south bend tribune, stolen gun safe.

Edited by misterT

I had a Stack-On cabinet for firearms when I lived in an apartment. When my Mom moved out of our old house and I had to bring the whole collection to the house I'm in now, I bought a "real" safe. (Should have bought a bigger one, though... hehe) Now I use the Stack-On cabinet for most of my ammo. I added shelves to the interior so they're well stacked and sorted. Now I need a second one.  blink.png

The room they're in is also secured with a deadbolt in the door, plus a sensor for my alarm system. I'm pretty sure no one would expect an interior door to have an alarm sensor in it.  :)

And that's all the details I'm going to post here.  ;)

I appreciate the info in this post.  I just had my new safe delievered and installed - woohoo!!  Bolted down in four corners within the house alarm system, adequate internal dehumidifier, proper fire rating, proper theft protection, and as big as I could afford.  I also bought a smaller fire\water document safe to put in it for extra protection and gun socks for all of my guns (reduces smoke damage).  The safe maker recommended not putting any ammo in the safe.  He said if any rounds go off it will force air out of and back into the safe which could prolong fire and smoke damage internally.  Is this the place to ask how you guys store your ammo?  Due to price and scarcity I am inclined to keep it locked up, but not sure the best way.  Thanks 

I appreciate the info in this post.  I just had my new safe delievered and installed - woohoo!!  Bolted down in four corners within the house alarm system, adequate internal dehumidifier, proper fire rating, proper theft protection, and as big as I could afford.  I also bought a smaller fire\water document safe to put in it for extra protection and gun socks for all of my guns (reduces smoke damage).  The safe maker recommended not putting any ammo in the safe.  He said if any rounds go off it will force air out of and back into the safe which could prolong fire and smoke damage internally.  Is this the place to ask how you guys store your ammo?  Due to price and scarcity I am inclined to keep it locked up, but not sure the best way.  Thanks 

I store most of my ammo in the same safe with the guns.

(except for cheap 12G target rounds)

If it gets hot enough to cook off the ammo, the guns will be junk by then anyway.

My concern is more theft than fire.

The ammo weighs down the safe nicely too.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchase an safe-sentry gun safe that is similar to yours. It has the larger space to store my long hunting gun. I worry about that the floor is not solid enough to hold the weight of item. Thanks to the design of the bottom , the weigh seems be averagely spreaded on the floor. Best wish to you.

Edited by Wolverine
Non-vendor link removed

Nice safe review..i like the steel water safes..i had mine custom built a month ago by Homeland Safes..but i just had them recently give me an upgrade to a 5/8 steel door which is over a 1/2 of an inch of steel and total thickness of door is 2" including fire insulation..the body i had them use 4gauge steel which is almost 1/4 of steel all the way around plus another 1 1/2" of fire insulation..it holds all my guns and belongings very well with more space to spare.It currently weighs in at 1250lbs empty without shelves..the measurements are 60Hx30Wx27D.here are a few pics below..

post-16872-0-27757900-1398241515_thumb.jpg

post-16872-0-99777000-1398241535_thumb.jpg

post-16872-0-80428700-1398241567_thumb.jpg

post-16872-0-59890600-1398241635_thumb.jpg

Edited by voonman
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wish I had the coin for one of the Homeland safes.... just the number of locking bolts is very impressive.

Here's an interesting vid on a big Homeland safe..... all he's got is an S-12 drum in it.    smile.png

Edited by Spartacus
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great post and photos and thank you. I also have a major problem or concern regarding the lack of situation awareness. Why didn't the gun safe company disguise the carton by printing on it instead; "Large refrigerator/ freezer"?

Now your entire neighborhood knows you have a big huge heavy gun safe. That alone would really piss me off, but that is just me. I feel strongly enough about it to post this thread on this excellent forum. It would be a deal breaker for me.

The second thing is that lock. I figure the odds of somebody seriously trying to break into my gun safe...even if it was labeled as an ice box and not a gun safe as about as likely some nasty national enemy will hit us with a big EMP.

Is that lock EMP proof? What about power outages? This is complete paranoid thinking on my part and I freely acknowledge it as such. Again, just me. I go to extreme lengths to keep unfriendly neighbors from learning certain stuff.

There is more. What about the four lumpers you hired? Who are they? Do you know them from Adam? Is the labor provider bonded and certified? We were. Anyhow, how you did it would NOT be the way I would have done it.

HB of CJ (old paranoid coot) We have moved stuff that was completely wrapped with tarps. Just tarped stuff being wheeled in. Nobody could tell what it was. Certified moving company doing business in San Francisco years ago.

Edited by HB of CJ