• 7.62x39
    • 5.45x39
    • 223/556
    • 308/7.62x51
    • 7.62x54r
    • 9mm
    • Other handgun-please post why
    • Other rifle-please post why

Nowadays, ammo seems like a really good investment.  Tag team an uncertain future regarding weapons restrictions and ever rising ammo prices, it seems that ammo beats guns for 'poor person' investing.

What would you guys choose to invest in and why?

I would suggest anything you can get that is cheap and sealed.. Sealed cans or plastic sealed cases are both good.. It may cost a little more, but it will store longer and better. No one wants opened boxes, or tarnished ammo.

More people shoot .223 and 9mm so its the most volatile.. However, imported calibers do increase to near US commercial prices when that surplus stops being imported.

I know during the panic .223 in Florida was going for $2+ a round, 7.62x39 was only 35+ cents a round. Because everyone owns a dozen AR-15s and Mini-14s, very few own 7.62x39

• Like 2

Rumor had it that when it became apparent that McCain was going to lose to Obama a few years ago, some rich individuals with big brass ones talked to one of the ammo manufacturers and purchased an entire 52,000 pound truck load of various palleted small arms ammo, with a lean towards the more popular rifle calibers. Seems they are doing OK.

The big $question$ is will ammo continue to go up in price with no possible way of ever returning to levels experienced and seen about 8 years ago? Will we ever see a correction downward? I dunno. Is it possible ammo prices will continue to go up and up and we have not seen anything yet? Will ammo possession ever become illegal? HB of CJ (old coot)

I am a capitalist at heart, but I cannot with good conscience vote for any caliber. IMHO ammo prices have skyrocketed because of speculation. Can't find a decent price on 22LR? Take a look at Gunbroker or Armslist and you will find out quickly why it sells out at cheaper prices quickly. I am a fan of the mantra "Buy it cheap and stack it deep", but that only goes as far as my shooting needs. I will never buy and sell it looking to make a quick buck. Ammo speculation is part of the reason we have a shortage and high prices. I want ammunition available and cheap, not only for my own needs, but also for others that share my love for the sport of shooting and the purpose of personal defense. Maybe I am naive, but I can not capitalize with the thought that I might limit someone's ability to exercise their 2A right.

• Like 5

^ Sounds good until the lights go out. A 50 round box of .380 was going for $50.00 after Katrina hit. The unprepared were the ones that found hot pokers being shoved up their asses.

I agree. I am all for stocking up and being prepared, just not buying up stock for the sole purpose of being the one to "shove the hot poker up someone else's ass."

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 2

If you want to invest in 5.45, you'd better turn back the clock - 'cuz you missed the boat.

7.62x39 is a good idea if you plan to practice with your rifles in that caliber in the future. 7.62x54R surplus is a good buy right now - it might not be out there for much longer.

NATO 7.62 but I voted for ".308"!

I belive 7.62 NATO is priced good right now and you can find a lot of high quality surplus from the english and US made. It may seem expensive if you have been shooting it for years but take into consideration what you get.

A 7.62 NATO is a true rifle round that will shred the shit out of all fabrics. hint hint.

It is a caliber that can be run in most modern .308 rifles and is a universal round in almost every country in the world.

it can kill a man, a wolf, a deer, an elk, a car, a (bird)  etc  it is a good all around round for medium to large game

its relodable and bullets are very easy to find.

the market is mucn greater for this round as it can be used by hunters, survivalists, farmers, military almost anybody.

if there is a conflict, the first thing to become rare will be 7.62. they dont make as much and it all gets sent to contracts.

nobody thinks to stock up on 7.62 nato??

just my ranting. could be wrong......

or you can be like this guy

That used to be about enough for a nice camping trip up the north fork! SHIT!

• Like 1

For me it's 38 special, 9mm, 45 acp, 5.56, 7.62x39. Covers revolver, semi pistol, semi rifle in the common clibers in my arsenal. I buy what I can when I find a sale on one of them.

If I ever see any 22lr back at old prices I'll buy some for my son to use in his Nylon 66, but other than his shooting pleasure I really don't need 22lr.

^ Sounds good until the lights go out. A 50 round box of .380 was going for $50.00 after Katrina hit. The unprepared were the ones that found hot pokers being shoved up their asses.

I agree. I am all for stocking up and being prepared, just not buying up stock for the sole purpose of being the one to "shove the hot poker up someone else's ass."
I'm not the dude who buys low and sells for rape prices. I hate those assholes and refuse to be one myself. However, who knows how much a case of x39 will be worth in ten or twenty years. If the ammo imports are stopped or become rare, people will be happy I bought them for future sale, quite the opposite of a hot poker tween the buns.

I just seem to like the idea of having lots extra, to use or sell when the time is right, or when I really need money. Since the value is likely to rise, Id feel like I'm using my money wisely.

On a side note, where do you guys buy in bulk? Who has the best prices, shipping and service?

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 1

I'm not the dude who buys low and sells for rape prices. I hate those assholes and refuse to be one myself. However, who knows how much a case of x39 will be worth in ten or twenty years. If the ammo imports are stopped or become rare, people will be happy I bought them for future sale, quite the opposite of a hot poker tween the buns.

I just seem to like the idea of having lots extra, to use or sell when the time is right, or when I really need money. Since the value is likely to rise, Id feel like I'm using my money wisely.

On a side note, where do you guys buy in bulk? Who has the best prices, shipping and service?

I'm broke as shit right now, and I'm a medium-sized asshole. There's a local pawnshop that'll buy a 500-round brick for $50 - they put them on the shelf for $75. I hit the local wal-mart circuit once or twice a week. When I can get them from Wal-Mart for $25 a brick, I sell two bricks to the pawn shop and keep one for myself. That makes my brick effectively free, and the roughly $25 in "profit" helps cover the fuel I burned driving around to a bunch of stores.

Last time I ordered bulk 7.62x39 was from Aim Surplus - ran almost exactly $250 shipped for a thousand rounds of Wolf HP.

• Like 1

I'm broke as shit right now, and I'm a medium-sized asshole. There's a local pawnshop that'll buy a 500-round brick for $50 - they put them on the shelf for $75. I hit the local wal-mart circuit once or twice a week. When I can get them from Wal-Mart for $25 a brick, I sell two bricks to the pawn shop and keep one for myself. That makes my brick effectively free, and the roughly $25 in "profit" helps cover the fuel I burned driving around to a bunch of stores.

Last time I ordered bulk 7.62x39 was from Aim Surplus - ran almost exactly $250 shipped for a thousand rounds of Wolf HP.

You are a smart person. Have you considered entering into the carry trade?

I'm packing in .22 LR, .308, and 7.62 Nato. I intend to use the .22 LR for bartering and the 308/762 Nato for fuken shit up with horror.gif

I still buy a box of 12 and 20 guage now and then, also some .380 and 9mm when I think of it, but I have a fair supply of that already.

Not one round of what I'm storing in is for sale.  It is for shooting and the-day-I-hope-never-comes-but-know-it-will.  If a time comes when I need to barter ammo for other essentials then I will do what must be done.

Fortune favors the prepared.

• Like 5

I don't know nearly enough about it for any entry into that field to qualify as more than blind gambling. Without substantial capital, it's very hard to do well for yourself - and without substantial knowledge, it's nigh impossible to find a firm who will hire you.

Ammoman is my go to for bulk ammo, everything on the site is in stock and the price shown is the price delivered to your door. Or cabelas when you can find the deals that throw in a free ammo can for every 500 rds you buy.

That's a scam, plain and simple - you're not getting a free can, you're being forced to buy a can to get your ammo. It's just rolled into the price. I don't buy bulk ammo from Cabela's.

Those plastic cans are alright for hauling magazines, cleaning supplies and the like - but they're useless for storing ammo, as they don't seal.

If your looking for long time investment, i.e something you would use and possibly sell down the road, then I would be looking for anything with sealed primers and bullets. 1000 rds of commercial Tula X39 is going to be worth a lot less to me than 1000 rds of Golden Tiger 5-10 years down the road just based on that fact alone.

I have spent over $4k at SGAmmo in the last 2 years.  I'd say they're my go-to source.  Family business.  Price, shipping, service.

SG Ammo is also my go to for major calibers in bulk. Excellent customer service and delivery. Never had a problem with them.

Not one round of what I'm storing in is for sale.  It is for shooting and the-day-I-hope-never-comes-but-know-it-will.  If a time comes when I need to barter ammo for other essentials then I will do what must be done.

Fortune favors the prepared.

I buy and store for my own future needs. I also like being able to help people out. In the past, I have met folks that I have struck up a conversation with, and as the conversation turned towards shooting, I inevitably hear something like I love to take my grandson out shooting, but I haven't been able to find any .22 for 2 years. It's at those times when I am blessed to bless someone else out of abundance. Here's a couple hundred rounds. go take your grandson shooting this weekend. It is the stories like these that keep me from buying and reselling. I would much rather buy, prepare, and be prepared to be generous to those who share our passion.
  • Like 1

I don't know nearly enough about it for any entry into that field to qualify as more than blind gambling. Without substantial capital, it's very hard to do well for yourself - and without substantial knowledge, it's nigh impossible to find a firm who will hire you.

Ammoman is my go to for bulk ammo, everything on the site is in stock and the price shown is the price delivered to your door. Or cabelas when you can find the deals that throw in a free ammo can for every 500 rds you buy.

That's a scam, plain and simple - you're not getting a free can, you're being forced to buy a can to get your ammo. It's just rolled into the price. I don't buy bulk ammo from Cabela's.

Those plastic cans are alright for hauling magazines, cleaning supplies and the like - but they're useless for storing ammo, as they don't seal.

I was referring to bulk 00 buck from Federal that comes in metal ammo cans, not those cheap plastic ones cabelas makes. And even then I only order from there if I have a free shipping code.

• Like 1