For a number of reasons I've been thinking about getting an ATV. Anyone tried any of the Chinese made ones? From what I've seen I can get a 250cc for about $1,300.00 with a manual transmission or $1,900.00 with an automatic. 400cc jump the price higher and I don't think anything much smaller than a 250 will move my big ass around much. I'm not looking at getting into a bunch of hardcore 4 wheeling just pull at mower attachment and get up and down my really crappy washed out road at times like now.

Most of the companies that sell them have a shit reputation on service the best one I've found is Killer Motorsports in Fort Worth, TX with a C- on the BBB and all the rest I've seen have a F.

So any members got into any of this?

I'd love to get a Honda or one of the other name brands but I could buy a used Jeep for the kind of money they get for those even used.

I've heard good things about Kimco. One of the more reputable dealers in my area carry them. I've never heard anything about the Tractor Supply variety.

Buy cheap, get cheap. I used to race atv's in every discipline, mx, tt, arena-x; Yamaha Banshee was my tool of choice. I pounded it for years and never once had a failure of any part unless is was accident related. Crushed j/a arms, snapped handlebars, twisted swingarm...never once dropped a chain or mangled a sprocket though. I performed all  mechanical maintenance so I never dealt with the dealer unless I needed parts. Practically bulletproof as long as you maintain the machine.

Joe

Hawaii State Atv Champion 1995-1996

Many many moons ago I had a Yamaha 3 wheeler 2 stroke neat little tool for crossing sand and a butt load of fun to ride.

some may be thinking the UTVs are what I'm thinking about is more of the orange side by side seating golf kart stuff like the Kabotas, I'd love to get one but then you're talking 10K+

what I'm thinking about are the ATVs like the red 4 wheeler below. A new Honda like that runs about 5K the Chinese 250s are under 2K. yeah they're cheap but at 60 I'm thinking more about dragging a mower not racing and hill climbs.

post-26137-0-25272500-1399054732.jpg

post-26137-0-73893500-1399054751_thumb.jpg

There's a reason why they cost less. If they are anything like Chinese farm tractors, they look good in the showroom and as yard art, which is what they soon become. I'd get a used model of the highest quality you can afford.

I’ve read stories from one end of the spectrum to the other:

Bought it 70 years ago and ride a hundred miles a day up hill and had to replace the chain once.

Or

Bought it new, took 6 months to get here, and it won’t start and the people who sold it to me won’t talk to me. Most of what I've read was about crappy dealers not about the ATVs.

I’d love to get a new Chinese 250 for $1,300.00 but I may get a used Japanese something for about $2,000.00

Edited by the 4th Doctor
  • Like 1

I have a 05 Honda 350 rancher, we bought it new and now it has about 20,000 miles, which may not seem like much compared to a car but it's it's had a lot of use.. We use it to pull sprayers, and general farm work. It's by far the most reliable quad we've had.. I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

I wish I had a good reason to buy an ATV... :(  Reading up on them, I'm amazed at all the attachments and variations out now. Toys, Toys, Toys!  :D

Looks like you could completely manage about a 100-acre farm with an ATV if you do it right? (Not that I know diddly about farming...)

I've got a Honda 4 wheeler 500CC, and the wife has a 420, both in cammo, and we payed about $5500.00 for mine and right at $5k for hers, and that was new out of the box. Hers is fuel injected and mine has a carb. If you get one, get fuel injection, I wish I had on mine, I have had mine sputter a time or two on REAL steep climbing, But It was also hooked to a tree with the winch, WAY up on top of the ridge, because "it don't look that steep, I'll go for it". I was out in the thick woods and half way up, it started to bunny hop, no turning around, no backing down the hill, so I locked it down, stretched out the winch cable and some more cable that I had and held on to the top. Had to ride the ridge thru the brier bushes to get back to where I started, and was cut up all to hell, but I wasn't going back down the SOB.

The snow we had here this past winter, those couple times, we where the only things moving on the street for miles.

You should be able to pick up a good used Jap model for less than $5k, but I'd think again about a 250cc, go at least 350 or higher. I think my 500cc is only about 26-27 hp, lock it in 4wd, and you may need that extra hp to get unstuck or maybe up the hill.

My Sportsman 400 two stroke is a snappy little booger. I need to do some work on the starter. It got some water in it and stiffened up the bendix, and rusted up the recoil spring. It's a '94 with 750 miles on it. Just hunting and snow plowing is all. It's really too goosey in the trails, and being 2stroke it doesn't have back pressure.  

Sure quality has improved, yet 6/7 years ago a local dealer got a couple containers of these. He's a good guy, took a bath due to failures in 1 year warranty period. Parts were hard to come by and manufacturer was very slow to reimburse. 1 of 5 ended up lasting a year. Remember the Russian tractors, same deal. No factory support and quality of build/components ??

The fact is, the Chinese can produce quality components for dirt cheap due to their cheap labor and materials. Usually not on the first run, because it takes them awhile to get it right. But after a few generations, they put out a product that is 70%-100% as good as the original design they ripped off, for about half the price.

Depending on what you are doing, for many of us, 70%+ is good enough. I wouldnt trust them for a motorcycle, if I was doing serious of-roading alone, or basically anything my life depends on, but for cheap toys and some tools, sure. Alot of the times the chinese stuff is a good design that they have ripped off, pumped off a few thousand extra after fulfilling a contract with a real company. They rebadge it and sell it for cheaper. Alot of times the chinese copy skimps on extra bolt ons: air compressors will ship with crappy filters, drill presses with shoddy tables, etc. Replace the cheap bits and you have the equivalent of a really good product, for much less.

Usually you can do some research and find out if its junk or decent.

• Like 1

I have an early 2000's Polaris trail boss 325. It does everything I need it to do on my property and I have no problems with it at all. They can be had for about $1500. Check Craigslist for used ATV's.

I hate dealing with the Chinese... I sometimes have to deal with them for quality issues in my job. They have a vastly different concept of making something right. There is no independent thought in their methods of production.

My buddy has a no name chinese 4 wheeler. We found it at the dump and fixed it up. Someone ran ethanol gas in it. Not a good idea on a bike that does not have the components that can take the abuse of ethanol gas.

It does it's job. It runs down a gravel road for a mile and gets the mail. It starts up every time. It will never be used for off road as it would certainly fall apart.

Go for an old honda on craigslist. I always look at the garage floor and surroundings in the photos posted. If they take care of their shop, they probably take care of the bike. Test compression and fluids or have a buddy go with to help you with this.

The honda and kawasaki motors run forevever if taken care of.

Lots of 4 wheelers used by old folks that never beat the hell out of them. They use them for gettin the mail or driving around the RV park.

Good luck!

• Like 1