That would be a great idea.  Obviously there has to be some reasonable restrictions on who can own guns.  Age is just one disqualifier. 

Mental health is the biggest problem.  Every gun owner should go through a comprehensive mental evaluation.  Obviously those who want to own guns already have one strike against them.  And veterans have two strikes.  So everybody who wants to own a gun will have to prove they are stable.  Yearly evaluations would be best.

And gun free zones don't work because they are too small.  The bigger the gun free zone the better it will work.  So every city and town needs to be a gun free zone.  If you live inside the city limits of any city or town and want to own a gun you can store it in a government sponsored "gun club" located outside town.  And ammunition too obviously.  And you will have to shoot at the on-site range unless you have a valid hunting license or a special permit for a "sporting use".

These are not violations of any rights.  These are reasonable, common sense rules so we can all live in a safer world.

Obviously all government agencies and police departments will be exempt from these restrictions.  Fully militarized law enforcement is needed to protect us from ourselves.

Anybody who argues against these reasonable, common sense measures are clearly showing they are mentally unstable and are immediately banned from firearms ownership. 

EDIT:  Yes folks, this is sarcasm.  But it is also exactly what "they" think.  And it is why we must accept NO restrictions on our rights.  Because no restriction will be enough.  No infringement will be too much.  They will not be satisfied with less than total disarmament of the people.  That day we will stop being citizens and become subjects.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 4

This issue has been a family decision since day one.  It is not new.  Responsible families hopefully do the right thing (very subjective).  I have been through the keys and firearms with my own dad.  Hard call but right call.  Alzheimer's and dementia will take someone years before they are buried.

All this FED "common sense" BS restrictions are because some choose not to be responsible and blame someone else for their incompetency.

• Like 1

A very smart man (not once in a generation smart but way up there from his record)  once wrote a book which revolved around the idea that we (the liberty patriots) are pushing on the wrong end of the train.

Instead of pushing to slow it down on its headlong rush to the cliff, a failing strategy in more ways than one, we should be pushing it off the cliff as quickly as possible, the sooner the better.

As well as completely upsetting the status quo it would produce the required outrages to finally move more people to action soon enough to do some REAL good.

At first I rejected the idea but damned if everything he mentioned isn't happening. So I revisited the idea, and despite my old conditioning (state schools, Uncle's military, being a "good" Repub, voting for the lesser evil etc) ... I have to admit Tom Baugh is right.

Without outrage there is no righteous fury.

My what uncomfortable times we live.

I'll just leave this here, then:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

• Like 1

CAREFUL PEOPLE!!!!!!

Do you guys even READ what you are saying?

Too old to OWN???

What you just said in plain English, is that at some arbitrary age, you believe it is your responsibility to FORCE a person to divest themselves of REAL PROPERTY!

Age discrimination? YES

If a person is enfeebled, or mentally disabled, then reasonable precautions need to be taken but to tell ME that just because I am getting older that I cannot even OWN something sounds like you guys are either TROLLS or Liberal saboteurs.

It could not possibly be because you guys think in short flashes like the movies, everyone HERE reads their words carefully and endeavors to project their thoughts in a manner that represents their true feelings accurately.

Words have meanings.

• Like 3

CAREFUL PEOPLE!!!!!!

Do you guys even READ what you are saying?

Too old to OWN???

What you just said in plain English, is that at some arbitrary age, you believe it is your responsibility to FORCE a person to divest themselves of REAL PROPERTY!

No one here said that. EVERYONE has talked about mental health (Alzheimer's and dementia specifically). You are absolutely correct that I would take away car keys and firearms from a mentally ill person if I had the power to do so and it was clearly warranted. The government has no business in deciding that though.

edit: I can also hold possession of another person's property while they are still the owner. This entire thing belongs in the same line of thinking as having power of attorney of an ill parent.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 2

Here we go,you young whipper snappers. First you want to take away my right use a deadly weapon . I 'll have you know sonny that I have been driving for years and now you want to take my gun also ?

What does age have to do with it? Umm! what  were we I talking about?

Edited by jerry52
  • Like 2

Here we go,you young whipper snappers. First you want to take away my right use a deadly weapon . I 'll have you know sonny that I have been driving for years and now you want to take my gun also ?

What does age have to do with it? Umm! what  were we I talking about?

LOL!

Let me flip the TV back to your game shows, gramps. ;)

----

To be serious, I'm really dreading the "too ill" to "x" conversations. Dad turns 70 this year so hopefully I still have a a little more time. His driving has been getting worse and worse though. Just doing goofy stuff like smashing his camper top window into the garage door and putting his truck in N instead P and it rolling back into a tree (both in the last 2 years). I try not to think about it too much...

When your parent pulls a .25 on gangbangers while walking (or I should say wandering lost), and instead of getting shot or handgun stolen, one has to take it as a learning moment.

Old is a variable state of mind as much as it is a physical thing.  Mileage varies per person...good or bad even for the best of us.

Big Gov has no business with this personal difficult family decision.

• Like 1

The assertion that we should not resist the downward spiral, and that we should in fact hurry it along, relies completely on the belief that the sooner it crashes the sooner it recovers.

I am not sure there will be a recovery.  Those in power will not simply step aside.  They are building a formidable internal military.  The collapse won't be the trigger for recovery.  It will be the justification for a total police state.  It won't mean their loss of power.  It will be the culmination of their plan.  They will no longer have to worry about the Constitution, or elections.  Their power will be complete.

The spirit of self-reliance is rare in the younger generations.  They have been taught to obey.  To look to government for all answers.  Most won't fight.  The few that do will be mowed down by the government ninja squads.

There is not much I can do to slow the decline, but I'm sure as hell not going to try to speed it up.

• Like 1

Fuck that shit. You all don't understand freedom. Freedom isn't necessarily safe. Freedom means I have the right to enjoy

my life unless _I_ prove I can't. No tests, no bullshit, no audits. Someone gets into a wreck, guess what, other people have wrecks,

too. Multiple wrecks? Ok, suspend the drivers license. Own guns? Until I threaten people with them or wrongfully shoot someone, or

at them, no, you don't get to test shit, and if you try to test me at that age, perhaps I'll demonstrate how well I can aim, on you.

Alzheimer's makes you forget things, not turn into a murderer. Dementia makes you confused, not deadly. Restriction of rights

should be discussed by, and only by, loved ones. The government has no say in the matter, and never will.

On April 19, 1775, the British regulars turned out to Concord to raid powder; i.e. confiscate guns and ammo. That started our country.

Any discussion of gun confiscation from any lawful citizen should be considered treasonous.

• Like 6

The assertion that we should not resist the downward spiral, and that we should in fact hurry it along, relies completely on the belief that the sooner it crashes the sooner it recovers.

I am not sure there will be a recovery.  Those in power will not simply step aside.  They are building a formidable internal military.  The collapse won't be the trigger for recovery.  It will be the justification for a total police state.  It won't mean their loss of power.  It will be the culmination of their plan.  They will no longer have to worry about the Constitution, or elections.  Their power will be complete.

The spirit of self-reliance is rare in the younger generations.  They have been taught to obey.  To look to government for all answers.  Most won't fight.  The few that do will be mowed down by the government ninja squads.

There is not much I can do to slow the decline, but I'm sure as hell not going to try to speed it up.

I think Id rather be mowed down by ninja squads than to live in a world where nobody has any balls, and is at the total mercy of the masters. Your right about the rarity of certain qualities in the younger generation.

I dont want to speed it up either, so Im just going to prepare for it the best I can.

• Like 3

Just keeping a realistic outlook. It seems some people have a skewed expectation of the collapse and the likelihood of a recovery.

If there is a recovery I expect those who fight will be revered as we revere the founding fathers. At least we used to revere them...

If this really is the last days of America then the future generations will be taught that we were terrorists, and that the reason they must live as slaves is because of people like us.

The post's in this thread are excelent. We have many intelligent and informed individuals on this forum.

Speaking as a 55 year old Libertarian gun owner all I have to say is confiscation in any form will be met with considerable resistance.

Peace be with you all.

Edited by DaveM
  • Like 3

Take a deep breath and smell the outrage, it is about damned time.

Been feeling that since I was a kid and now Im getting old so long time coming.

I cannot say what will happen Darth after this thing goes biblical.

Indeed I hope it is biblical, as horrible as that would be there is still hope if true. 

Baugh has his points, no matter how much I may hate them. But I value a clear conscience highly so I understand your point. 

BTW I am not even sure it could be sped up... but its something to think about in particular if you read his book.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Indeed I hope it is biblical, as horrible as that would be there is still hope if true. 

Baugh has his points, no matter how much I may hate them. But I value a clear conscience highly so I understand your point. 

BTW I am not even sure it could be sped up... but its something to think about in particular if you read his book.

I thought this way for a while. I collected stuff, nothing serious, and I think about being prepared for various things,

and I worried about our government, and ever encroaching erosion of liberties, and what would set off a war.

A friend of mine challenged me to go shoot an Appleseed. I liked it, I qualified as a Rifleman, and I spend much

of my free weekends instructing at them now. Project Appleseed is an activity of the Revolutionary War Veterans Association,

and it's a civics lesson / wake-up call in the form of teaching the events of April 19, 1775 (the day our Revolution began)

and marksmanship. We teach the Army Qualifying Test, both scaled down for .22 rimfire, and full scale for centerfires, which

teaches standing, transition to seated fast fire, transition to prone fast fire, and slow prone fire. We teach the three strikes

of the match, how our people got shot in the back as they were dispersing on Lexington Green, how we fired back when

fired upon on Concord's North Bridge and sent the British running, and how the war began at Merriam's Corner.

All this leads to teaching people to improve themselves with marksmanship fundamentals in case they ever need them, but,

and here's the important thing, it teaches people that, if they get involved, if they start giving a damn again, if they get out

and get informed, vote their conscience, be involved with the politicians, we can out-bail the leaks in the ship and keep sailing on.

It's a positive message; yes, things look bad, but, we can still fix them. Making plans to hide in a cave, sure, that takes care of you

just fine, but what about other people? Can't we help them? Do we have to give up?

Appleseed is growing. We're hitting about 10,000 people attending our shoots every year. I like them because they're positive,

it teaches new people to shoot, and they're normal people. Not mall ninjas, not militia people, just normal people. People love

hearing the history, and people love improving their marksmanship. It's what I do to help the country. We can always use more

people coming to the shoots, and getting more instructors from there.

I don't know about non-vendor links here, so google project appleseed and get there that way. The site is appleseedinfo dot org.

If you're interested, check it out.

After about 35, age as a measure of anything except chronological placement is meaningless. My Grandparents on Dad's side both lived well into their 90's and retained full use of their mental faculties until the very end. I have known people who started to 'lose it' before 40. Some people never have  'it' to begin with!

Fuck that shit. You all don't understand freedom. Freedom isn't necessarily safe. Freedom means I have the right to enjoy

my life unless _I_ prove I can't. No tests, no bullshit, no audits. Someone gets into a wreck, guess what, other people have wrecks,

too. Multiple wrecks? Ok, suspend the drivers license. Own guns? Until I threaten people with them or wrongfully shoot someone, or

at them, no, you don't get to test shit, and if you try to test me at that age, perhaps I'll demonstrate how well I can aim, on you.

Alzheimer's makes you forget things, not turn into a murderer. Dementia makes you confused, not deadly. Restriction of rights

should be discussed by, and only by, loved ones. The government has no say in the matter, and never will.

On April 19, 1775, the British regulars turned out to Concord to raid powder; i.e. confiscate guns and ammo. That started our country.

Any discussion of gun confiscation from any lawful citizen should be considered treasonous.

Well said.

• Like 1

There were many other actions that added up to the founding of our nation, but the attempt to take the guns was the last straw. sound familiar?

Good post Voltia.

• Like 1

I thought this way for a while. I collected stuff, nothing serious, and I think about being prepared for various things,

and I worried about our government, and ever encroaching erosion of liberties, and what would set off a war.

A friend of mine challenged me to go shoot an Appleseed. I liked it, I qualified as a Rifleman, and I spend much

of my free weekends instructing at them now. Project Appleseed is an activity of the Revolutionary War Veterans Association,

and it's a civics lesson / wake-up call in the form of teaching the events of April 19, 1775 (the day our Revolution began)

and marksmanship. We teach the Army Qualifying Test, both scaled down for .22 rimfire, and full scale for centerfires, which

teaches standing, transition to seated fast fire, transition to prone fast fire, and slow prone fire. We teach the three strikes

of the match, how our people got shot in the back as they were dispersing on Lexington Green, how we fired back when

fired upon on Concord's North Bridge and sent the British running, and how the war began at Merriam's Corner.

All this leads to teaching people to improve themselves with marksmanship fundamentals in case they ever need them, but,

and here's the important thing, it teaches people that, if they get involved, if they start giving a damn again, if they get out

and get informed, vote their conscience, be involved with the politicians, we can out-bail the leaks in the ship and keep sailing on.

It's a positive message; yes, things look bad, but, we can still fix them. Making plans to hide in a cave, sure, that takes care of you

just fine, but what about other people? Can't we help them? Do we have to give up?

Appleseed is growing. We're hitting about 10,000 people attending our shoots every year. I like them because they're positive,

it teaches new people to shoot, and they're normal people. Not mall ninjas, not militia people, just normal people. People love

hearing the history, and people love improving their marksmanship. It's what I do to help the country. We can always use more

people coming to the shoots, and getting more instructors from there.

I don't know about non-vendor links here, so google project appleseed and get there that way. The site is appleseedinfo dot org.

If you're interested, check it out.

I worked to bring the first AS shoot to south LA years ago, and continued to promote them until the internal strife hit it and my health took a header into a 3x bypass (unrelated).

Still think it is a good program and hope to involve myself again this fall. 

Missed rifleman by ten points but that was due to having to shoot the entire series standing due to back problems.

Yeah I can shoot :D

May use a S308 and a brass catcher next time, got em to sub 2MOA and my physical condition has improved so may not have to shoot standing while everyone else is prone.

Given that I just spent 4 days flat out because my back popped for no reason at all... chit.

And gun free zones don't work because they are too small. The bigger the gun free zone the better it will work. So every city and town needs to be a gun free zone. If you live inside the city limits of any city or town and want to own a gun you can store it in a government sponsored "gun club" located outside town. And ammunition too obviously. And you will have to shoot at the on-site range unless you have a valid hunting license or a special permit

This statement was actually a suggested part of gun control legislation proposed here in MA recently. MA House bill H.3253 Edited by VR6Shooter