Hole in match bullets' tips - what's it for?

Hello guys:

I've been buying some match ammo lately and I have a question: what's the purpose of the tiny hole that's in the tip of match bullets?

I'm the son of an aerospace engineer and I'm scratching my head. It seems like the regular pointed tips of other bullets are more streamlined and less drag inducing.

Just wondering. I'm sure the tiny hole serves a purpose or else it wouldn't be there.

Have your kid explain it to you! It creates a beneficial drag. some also use this as a process to use multiple metals. It creates a drift around the bullet that is consistent and stable under differing temperatures, density etc.

kinda like a big ass jet engine. those big things dont drag too much.

Have your kid explain it to you! It creates a beneficial drag. some also use this as a process to use multiple metals. It creates a drift around the bullet that is consistent and stable under differing temperatures, density etc.

Jims scratched his head and says.....WTF??

• Like 1

Jims scratched his head and says.....WTF??

pointy and spinning bullet smashes into particles of air that vary in density, moisture and temperature. the spin makes the wind on the bullet move around. if you create a uniform wind, that spinning bullet looses a little fps but gains lots of stability in flight. kinda like putting feathers on an arrow.

It's to give the bullet a solid base for the propellant gases to push on, plus it helps put more of the mass towards the rear for stability.

This

The hole is actually a byproduct of the way the bullets are made.

• Like 3

From what I have always understood... the hole creates a small vortex pocket in the front of the projectile, the rest of the airflow, then streamlines around that tiny sphere of turbulence, in essence creating a perfect aerodynamically shaped "tip" to the projectile. It is similar in effect to why your truck gets BETTER gas mileage with the tailgate UP and not down... you create a vortex in the bed, the airflow over the cab, streamlines over that vortex, creating a nice, almost boat-tail shape to the back of your truck... Same with the hollowed tip of the projectile. :up:

:smoke:

The hole isn't there "for" anything.  It's a side effect of the manufacturing process.

It's there because the jacket has to be drawn from the tip or the base.  A match bullet is more consistent if the jacket is drawn up from the base so the hole winds up at the tip.  They squeeze the jacket down as much as possible so you wind up with a very small hole in the tip which has very little effect on the aerodynamics of the bullet. 

See the link I posted above.

• Like 2

The hole isn't there "for" anything.  It's a side effect of the manufacturing process.

It's there because the jacket has to be drawn from the tip or the base.  A match bullet is more consistent if the jacket is drawn up from the base so the hole winds up at the tip.  They squeeze the jacket down as much as possible so you wind up with a very small hole in the tip which has very little effect on the aerodynamics of the bullet. 

See the link I posted above.

Dont confuse people with facts

It is a result of the bullet manufacturing process and technique. It does no harm and is a result of getting the rest of the bullet nearly perfect. It does not affect ballistics and the tip is not that deformed by violent chambering of semi auto match rifles. HB of CJ (old coot)

• Like 1

Nothing whatsoever like a jet engine, as there is no intake of air at the front and no high-pressure jet propulsion out the back.  rolleyes.gif

The link from DS has a good explanation.  032.gif

ROFL! :)

Here is a great link.

In the 1950s Sierra Bullets introduced its MatchKing, a 168-grain .30 caliber (7.62mm) open tip bullet designed to maximize accuracy.  The open tip design employs a precision deep drawn jacket with lead inserted from the front tip and ogival forming from the open tip mouth.  The result is better manufacturing control and more consistent quality than possible with traditional full metal jacket (FMJ) bullet designs formed from tip to base.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1262

NO NO NO, It's where you sprinkle a TINY bit of fairy dust, that way, when it hits your intended target, it's singing a happy song, question answered, next question please.

I need to go to bed, 3 hours sleep last night, road trip and job today, my tired ass still hasn't got home yet, but I'll be available for more expert answers on Sunday. :) 

• Like 1