Stocking up on ammo for platforms you do not own.

Am I the only one who does this?  I've been buying up 9mm since prices have somewhat normalized.  i haven't owned a 9mm in years, but something tells me to buy the shit out of it right now.

I also have a fair amount of 5.56 I bought right, but have never owned an AR,  My tastes may change at some point but I don't even plan on having an AR anytime soon.

Of course I also stock up on ammo for the platforms that I do own.

I really do think that a time will come when ammo will become almost "priceless."  

I know this has been said a million times on here, but buy it cheap and stock it deep fellas.  No better time than NOW.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I made a decision 20 years ago to limit myself to the calibers I already used, in order to keep my ammo logistics reasonable.   I have passed up guns I want because they are in calibers I don't alre

Soooooo........if I sell the S12 in the back of my safe, (which I bought nearly two years ago) for say iduno maybe $1300 with the Dinzag conversion kit....I'm a prick, a gouger, a theife? I say it's m

No my intent is not to try to gouge in the future.  Did I fucking indicate that as being my plan?   When I mentioned "priceless" I was referring to having an array of ammo in a possible SHTF situati

Is your intent to buy low and sell high? If so, I sincerely hope you end up with nothing but 9mm and 5.56mm, and no guns to shoot it in, should the need arise.

I hate opportunistic gougers who take advantage for a quick buck, like those who sell $10 bottles of water during a disaster.

If not, You really ought to get yourself a nice 9mm and a 5.56mm.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who does this?  I've been buying up 9mm since prices have somewhat normalized.  i haven't owned a 9mm in years, but something tells me to buy the shit out of it right now.

I also have a fair amount of 5.56 I bought right, but have never owned an AR,  My tastes may change at some point but I don't even plan on having an AR anytime soon.

I really do think that a time will come when ammo will become almost "priceless."  

I know this has been said a million times on here, but buy it cheap and stock it deep fellas.  No better time than NOW.

You Sir have more money than you need, send me some money, please.haha.gif

That said, no I do not buy what I do not need, if fact I buy firearms in calibers I have.

Being I cast, PC and reload for every caliber I shoot but 22, it just make sense to me.

• Like 1

No my intent is not to try to gouge in the future.  Did I fucking indicate that as being my plan?

When I mentioned "priceless" I was referring to having an array of ammo in a possible SHTF situation to be able to trade out or supply neighbors, family, etc.  This is no different that stockpiling food, med supplies, fuel, etc.  

Let's not be so quick to coin me as somebody I'm not.  I hate price gouging as much as the next guy.

Edited by Tundra1
  • Like 4

I can barely afford to stack deep calibers that I have.  So no...  I don't buy calibers I don't need.  Since you say you're buying for others...  I have a couple of hungry 9mm's and AR's that you can send me ammo for.

I'm all for capitalism.  Part of capitalism is my (and others) right to not buy from you.  So... I guess I fall on the side of the folks that hope you end up with ammo you can't use because I have to call BS on the angelic intentions.  Get mad if you want, but this is nothing more than an investment in hope of taking advantage.  You have every right to do it though.  Nobody is forced to buy it.  

I personally would rather have a retarded amount of my calibers that I can either use or trade/sell should the need arise.

• Like 3

Since I stock large in large amounts what I shoot. Except for a couple calibers, all is "popular" rounds. Anyone with a clue, realizes hard currency is what will be traded if/when monetary supply or disaster situation occurs. What's the use of thousands of rounds if you need something else, unless you have decided to turn your community in a "Mad Max" world.

I made a decision 20 years ago to limit myself to the calibers I already used, in order to keep my ammo logistics reasonable.

I have passed up guns I want because they are in calibers I don't already support, and I sold "orphans" that used calibers I didn't want to support.

So no I don't stock calibers I don't use.

I'm all for capitalism and have been known to buy things at a low price knowing I could resell them higher. 

But...  I'd like to beat the shit out of the people who are keeping 22lr prices through the roof.  What the fuck people.  Every other caliber has come back down to a somewhat reasonable level but 22lr is still 10 cents a round "on sale".  Fuck.

I don't even shoot 22 any more.  Prices on 22lr guns have crashed cause nobody wants to buy a 22 with ammo prices so high.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 6

Know many, if not most gun owners have only a box or 2 of ammo for their defense weapon. Seen many at range during last scare saying as much. Only practice with ammo they could locate at high prices, or not at all, since didn't want to shoot what little they had. CCW and realization of basic gov. economic situation. This very subject came up at range today. Buy all you can afford, and don't be scrambling again. Silly how .22 still flies off shelves and is scarce/high priced. How many people with 22 plinkers had only a box, "It'll always be there, to get"

I buy in bulk, are outfits with 22. I wont pay the prices, got plenty, yet have many who have me order for them. I just charge actual costs, and add to larger order. Cheaper shipping average per case box. Most 22's sit in stores close to or below costs due to high or no ammo.

I keep a few boxes of SD .38 and .45 for the just in case situations even though I dont own any.

This condemnation of people that attempt to make a profit by taking a risk ammo prices will rise seems very contrived.

But then I have plenty of 22 and glad prices on the firearms have gone down, might like to pick up a couple soon.

Anyone with a clue, realizes hard currency is what will be traded if/when monetary supply or disaster situation occurs.

To be blunt, that statement shows that you are in need of a clue.

Depending on how you define "hard currency", it's either wrong or horribly wrong.

In a disaster scenario if you can't eat it, drink it, smoke it, protect yourself with it, shelter yourself with it, or treat your sickness/injury with it, then it has no value.

If you mean gold and silver, those things do hold their value long term but they become nearly worthless in disaster scenarios.

If you mean government issued money then be ready to wipe your ass with it or start a fire with it cause that's all it will be worth. (Just don't do both.)

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

Wont take offense to ignorance. Hard Currency is a barter term from centuries past. Means real goods for trade. Some don't study history, I apologize, for not realizing the uninformed. Ex: Goat, donkey, sword, even salt and pepper in certain regions. "Hard" meaning you can touch or hold. Each item is valued by individuals as to their needs. Modern term does mean gold, silver, precious stones. Traders/middlemen/gov in time switched to modern "Hard Currency". Butchering a goat to pay little items can be messy. Box of ammo, not so much.

• Like 4

I have more ammo for guns I dont own than I care to count. I stopped doing that a while back. Its not exactly a bad thing to have it, so long as your not neglecting other needs for items you can already use or will be more useful.

• Like 1

I have more ammo for guns I dont own than I care to count. I stopped doing that a while back. Its not exactly a bad thing to have it, so long as your not neglecting other needs for items you can already use or will be more useful.

Got 10x8x2ft wall locker of odd ball, and a few calibers left from selling gun store building. 1 or 2 boxes of various. Mainly loads for lever actions and other ancient or fallen out of favor calibers. Local sporting good store calls once in awhile with someone looking.

Strange that I've basically been dubbed a price gouger with bad intentions and a liar.  My OP hinted of neither.

My doing this is along the lines of "prepping".  Nothing more.  No ill intent.

I figured I'd be accused of being a hoarder before being called a price gouger and liar.  Jeez.

• Like 4

I would find it odd to buy something I could not shoot.  The money would be better spent on buying those calibers you do have. If not that you might want to buy components to make more ammo.  I do wish I had bought 8mm when it was 4 cents a round so I would have an excuse to buy a mauser.

Nothing wrong with buying something if it makes you happy.  

Darth Saigus, on 26 Oct 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

If you mean barter goods then say barter goods.  Don't use a term in a manner nobody else uses and then declare us ignorant for not reading your mind.

Not going to be dumbed down, sorry. History studies snuck out. Never mean to over speak, I was blessed with elders that pushed self education and to obtain as much knowledge as possible. Some had come from countries that had burned books and imprisoned those of free thought. Still read as much as possible from various sources and ideologies. Only responded because of a silly, uppity reaction without the knowledge. okay.

• Like 1
Tundra1, on 26 Oct 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Strange that I've basically been dubbed a price gouger with bad intentions and a liar.  My OP hinted of neither.

My doing this is along the lines of "prepping".  Nothing more.  No ill intent.

I figured I'd be accused of being a hoarder before being called a price gouger and liar.  Jeez.

I saw what you were doing, this has come up before in local talks with persons. Keep certain items to barter, 9mm or 223, since most seem to go that direction. Lot of people have, yet don't stock much. Couple boxes.  I know guy that filled every propane bottle he could find for same reason. Back before these latest price increases. Stores forever and doesn't go bad. We trade beef and lamb for pork at our local meat locker. Pound for pound, not current price of each. Traded a neighbor a box of .38 fmj for a box of 308 hunting rounds during last scare because his wife wanted to practice and not use her stock. If you figured price of each before scare, I made 30%. Didn't need the 308 and I didn't bring up or make offer, and he knew the difference, made the offer and was happy to keep her happy. On the propane, I ended up doing the same, got a 8000 watt propane generator and 30+ 40lb bottles, besides 2 1000 gal tanks that already fed the homestead. Know who to trade if events require me to get more.

Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 2

Tundra - if your planning on buying ammo at Walmart at 3am with a couple buddies and reselling it the next day at a 400% markup, I say screw you.

But, if you're planning on spending your money on calibers you don't own in times when prices are cheap(ish) and available is plenty I say good on you.

I dont agree with exactly what you are doing but FWIW I'm doing something somewhat similar. PM me if your interested. Anybody who has a problem with what you want to do just wants to piss and moan because they spent their money on toys they felt were important but couldn't see the forest for the trees until it really counted.

Best of luck to you

• Like 3

Tundra - if your planning on buying ammo at Walmart at 3am with a couple buddies and reselling it the next day at a 400% markup, I say screw you.

But, if you're planning on spending your money on calibers you don't own in times when prices are cheap(ish) and available is plenty I say good on you.

Pretty much what I said..

• Like 1

Why screw him?  Nobody is forced to buy at his 400% markup.

Why is it ok when prices are cheap if he has zero intention of owning these calibers?

I really don't get your rationale???

Tundra... I don't think you are a liar.  Gouger maybe.  You gotta admit, your saying that you are spending your hard earned money for nothing other than fair trade and kindness is a bit hard to swallow.  At the end of the day, isn't this simply capitalism?  You take the risk with your money, you get the possible reward.  The only time I have a real problem with it is when it's being sold to friends/family at retarded prices.  Or to people truly in need like the mentioned $10 bottles of water.

Don't get all butt hurt bro...  We all have a foul taste still in our mouth's from the panic gouging.  It was so bad that it will probably be a sore subject for quite some time.

Interesting concept and quite sound in theory ... in moderate amounts. I suppose having a couple boxes of odd ball ammo for just about everything MIGHT be a good idea ... if you did not have the time, money or inclination to create and maintain a SHTF DEFENSE system.

Personal point of view here and others will not agree, which is good. We, (family and close group of reliable individuals) TRY just to spend 10% of our limited time and money for PREPPING in total and only 10% of THAT 10% for guns, ammo, training and related endeavors.

Does not leave much $left$ for guns and ammo. This is considered SHTF, (shit hits the fan) prepping only and separate from recreational pursuits. There are way too many other needful things to accomplish getting somewhat prepared for whatever may or may not happen.

This has been going on pretty much full throttle since 1986 when we relocated from central valley Kommiefornika to SW Oregon. When we think we are ahead of the curve and 100% ready for whatever, we quickly realize that; NO!, we are no where even close to being ready.

How much ammo? How many guns? I know I have too many. My attempts to downsize my collection meets considerable resistance from ... ME. I do not want to do it. Even though I understand that the $$$$ could be better used many other places. Just my opinion here.

Even here in SW Oregon; 42N; 123W, (there abouts) we have too many deer rifles and too few/many idiots who do not have a clue about what to do or act in a post SHTF environment. Thus the rub. There will always be "pick ups". Thus some ammo for many is a good idea.

HB of CJ (old coot) (retired RN; Now concentrating on medical stuff)

• Like 1

Soooooo........if I sell the S12 in the back of my safe, (which I bought nearly two years ago) for say iduno maybe $1300 with the Dinzag conversion kit....I'm a prick, a gouger, a theife? I say it's my shit and I'll do whatever I want to do with it and screw whoever doesn't like it. I'm not saying I'll actually do it, but who knows, maybe in two more years $1300 for a brand new, never shot, in the box S12, with a conversion kit from Dinzag will be a good price. I do remember when they were $300 all day long at gun shows, does that make all the people now selling them for $900 pricks, gougers and thieves? Mayhaps.

After this thread I'm pretty sure I won't tell any of you that I did it haha.gif

• Like 4

I do not keep ammo outside of the calibers I shoot. That said ammo is cash I. The right circumstances. Gouging is in the eye of the beholder. Fail to plan and keep ammo on hand you need is not the problem of the guy that has the ammo. There was no state of emergency that caused the shortage. Panic caused it. Failure to plan caused it. While perhaps not popular, I've said it before. Tough shit.

Edited by liberty -r- death
  • Like 4

I've had similar thoughts, kinda

Should I have a few extra Mosins/ammo on hand for the unprepared..?

If TSHF are your closest friends and family member ammo'd up. Some might have different cal than you and might be empty after day 10.

But when they do ask me what to buy, if they have the money I tell them to buy an AK preferably a Saiga/ammo and if they don't have the money I tell them to buy a Mosin/ammo

I'm not looking to buy ammo to barter with, (probably use it against ya anyway) I'm more concerned with those who are totally unprepared in a all out SHTF scenario.

• Like 1

Over the years I have bought about every die set in every cal i could find used at gun shows and the shell plates for them.

I also keep all the brass I find in any cal.

I may never need those odd calibers, but I will have them available If I or someone else does.

All ammo is money in the bank.

in a SHTF situation the market will set the price, if you sell irreplaceable commodities for less than the going rate its foolish.

Gouging in a panic is not something I would do, but supply and demand are the core of business.

I had to pay some panic prices for a few items I had to have.

It did piss me off to pay $90.00 each for 5 AR10 Pmags.

But in the end it was my fault not to prepare ahead of time.

• Like 2