I don't have a 50 Cal. So that's out lol. So what your guys thoughts? I got invited on a hog I have two weeks to get ready. Here's my options. 40 s$w out of a carbine? 7.62x39? .308? 7.62x54r? 20 or 12ga slug? All are semiauto and high cap.

45acp also (kriss vector)

All of them,but the .40, will do great.

The .40 will work too, but will require careful shot placement.

I would bring the 12g, .308, 7.62x39 and the .40 as a sidearm for coup de grace.

That'll cover anything.

• Like 1

Shoot em bout two inches below the ear hole. Which ever gun you can make that shot with. Also semi is a must. Let a crowd come in pick out the best eating one of the group, I prefer 125# sows, ear hole shot, keep shooting until they are all either dead or run off. Have Fun!

• Like 1

Well its not exactly on your list, but if you want to try, wolf hill ammo makes a 50 cal (sorta) incendiary stuffed in a 12 gauge case that looks sort of interesting. 30 bucks for 5 rounds. Not sure if you want to light the hog up before you gut it though.

I remember reading on that site about some round supposedly made just for hog hunting purposes but I couldn't find it. Im not really an exotic ammo kind of guy, but hey, would it kill to try something new? Oh um wait, it might, never mind :)

Good luck. The hogs haven't reached northern illinios , and god help them if they do. The idea of free ham makes my mouth water.

• Like 1

Hello

If you're going to be trekking (not always do the pigs come to you, despite the best laid plans) most .308's get pretty heavy.

That's where a good 7.62x39 will really shine. Not too heavy, but good range and knock-down for boars. FMJ for sure.

JMHO....

• Like 1

Guide gun 45.70 Hornady ballistic tips.

Kills 'em dead.

I have a '95 Marlin.Loaded it up with heavy load 45-70s. NASTY. Good gun. Tip: If you get one, replace that damned recoil pad Marlin puts on it. It's got a hard rib right down the middle that is NOT fun to shoot with.

Edited by patriot

I would find out a little more about the hunt if using dogs the 45 with a good bullet would work as he will be wore plumb out . If you are hunting from a stand or blind I would go with the 308 and some Hornady 150gr sst. They drop in there tracks {I DONT CARE TO DRAG THEM TO FAR TO THE TRUCK] with a good bullet with enough shock they don't run at all if you hit him where he lives . We use to raise hogs and had one killed for meat every year the slaughter houses use a 22 between the eyes.

• Like 1

Kills 'em dead.

I have a '95 Marlin.Loaded it up with heavy load 45-70s. NASTY. Good gun. Tip: If you get one, replace that damned recoil pad Marlin puts on it. It's got a hard rib right down the middle that is NOT fun to shoot with.
Oh yeah. Mine is a pre Remington gun and I put on a decelerator pad, a large lever loop, laminated HG and butt stock with the pistol grip and a extended magazine, Ashley aperture ghost ring and front sight and a Weaver 1.5-4x 20 pistol scope. It looks like an 1895 GBL now. Very handy, lots of horsepower.

Kills 'em dead.

I got an old H&R single shot 45-70...breaks down like a shot gun. Wish I had a buck for every time someone asks why I have rifle sights on a .410...It packs a wallop and is not to be trifled with. LOL I used when I used to guide bear hunts with dogs down east.