Yep ... DO NOT OPEN!  I today also got an E-mail from "Pay Pal" saying my accout is under funded or something.  Only problem is that I do not have a Pay Pal account.  Needless to say I did not open that link.  Even dummies like me learn after a fashion.  HB of CJ (old coot) smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Just got off the phone with turbo tax. Someone used our s/n to file and get money and they told me to call its and try to get the payment stopped... I can't talk to anyone cause of "unexpected high volume of calls" and to call another day.

Sounds like a logical thing to do... I guess the irs just likes to hand out thousands of dollars....

Yeah lesson learned... Shoulda downloaded the program instead of using it online. When they got hacked everyone who used the online versions info got compromised cause it was on their servers not mine.

The IRS tells u to call one of the three credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on your s/n number. I called and did that. It was automated... I did not feel comfortable with that. Anyway I completed that. Then the robot tells you to hold on to speak to a representative. So I'm thinking I get to talk to someone about what's going on. One second later some guy with a Indian accent gets on trying to sell me some "upgrade" for 20$ a month. Anyway got mor phone calling to do today

Yeah lesson learned... Shoulda downloaded the program instead of using it online. When they got hacked everyone who used the online versions info got compromised cause it was on their servers not mine.

The IRS tells u to call one of the three credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on your s/n number. I called and did that. It was automated... I did not feel comfortable with that. Anyway I completed that. Then the robot tells you to hold on to speak to a representative. So I'm thinking I get to talk to someone about what's going on. One second later some guy with a Indian accent gets on trying to sell me some "upgrade" for 20$ a month. Anyway got mor phone calling to do today

That shit sucks. Got my ID stolen/used twice and enjoyed the Home Depot hack, which didn't hurt as much as the others. Don't you just want to meet up with the MFs that did this, just once? I feel for you brother. I still believe in Karma since she's bit me back more than once.

Ssoooo...if someone does that to me and the IRS considers me filed... since I always have to pay in, you know...to support the leeches... do I still have to file? If someone did on my behalf, I'd rather not and avoid paying in. almost sounds like a win-win. As long as they don't use my ssn for anything else...

Ssoooo...if someone does that to me and the IRS considers me filed... since I always have to pay in, you know...to support the leeches... do I still have to file? If someone did on my behalf, I'd rather not and avoid paying in. almost sounds like a win-win. As long as they don't use my ssn for anything else...

Well unless a trip into that genre defining kangaroo system called tax court is the aim you best file. 

• Like 1

Yep ... DO NOT OPEN!  I today also got an E-mail from "Pay Pal" saying my accout is under funded or something.  Only problem is that I do not have a Pay Pal account.  Needless to say I did not open that link.  Even dummies like me learn after a fashion.  HB of CJ (old coot) smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I got this same email today, too. I found long ago that you can rest the mouse on the link (Don't Click It!), and the address will show in the link at the bottom.  ;)  (On Firefox.)

I got this same email today, too. I found long ago that you can rest the mouse on the link (Don't Click It!), and the address will show in the link at the bottom.  wink.png  (On Firefox.)

I do this also with any questionable emails. Most are in my "Junk" inbox, but sometimes I get a chuckle out of the  addresses. Yesterday, I won a 20 ft shipping container and contents from Maersk shipping. With all the inheritance, lottery and grants I must be close to billionaire status. The tax man cometh.

• 2 months later...

I always use a CPA, but I've had no less than 5 friends this year who's returns got jacked. They were required to file a police report and one was told by the St Charles Sheriffs Dept that in our area alone over 3000 reports have been made. That seems huge to me and really not much more than a peep in the news. I can't help but think that at some point this won't turn into a " never let a crisis go to waste" event.

• Like 2