And the next day another turned up.

Ran across a Mech Tech Glock CCU in .40 S&W in the local online trader. After doing some homework on it I was intrigued enough by the concept and reviews online to go look at it in person. Price was right and I had a Glock 17 that would fit it and figured why not. Worst case it would be going up for trade quickly and I could get my money back.

Stopped at the local firearms emporium and was talking to the owner about it when he got an odd look on his face and asked me to wait a minute. After digging around under the counter he handed me another CCU in .357 Sig and asked if I wanted it. He had taken it in on a trade a year ago or so and after no one wanted it he was considering hanging it on the "Wall of Strange" with some of the other misbegotten things he had ended up with over the years. Strangely enough, it fit my 17 as well. Acquired ammo for it and headed for home, amused by this turn of events. Ran practice rounds through both and they cycle very well. Weather and work have not been cooperating and a short bout of the Grippe has prevented me from firing them, but soon, soon.

So, I ask for the wisdom and experience of the community on these. Opinions? Experience with one? Good/Bad/Indifferent?

• Like 1

Very interesting, I'd never heard of these till today, I had to Google it to see what it looked like.

I'm interested in a 9mm carbine, been looking at Colt, Marlin, Just Right, Kel-Tec, Hi-Point and others.

• Like 1

Depending on how these two behave I may be looking at getting one in 10MM and using my G20sf as the base. A solid 10MM carbine tickles my fancy to say the least. From what I am seeing you can use a Glock, 1911 or XD/XDM.

The price for a brand new CCU isn't outrageous either. Looked up the improvement by using a 16" barrel for the 10MM and .357 Sig rounds. Not bad for a pistol caliber carbine.

Edited by The Deacon
  • Like 1

CZ has the very nice Scorpion evo 3s1 pistol in 9mm. Stick on a Sig brace and you've got a sweet little carbine. Mags are like $20.

finger blasted one at local gun show  today, i loves me some!!  mags are the key, cant really bitch that they arent glock mags if they are real cheap.... at least i cant...

gun feels good, kinda blocky and silly for only being blowback, i mean make it super light weight and we can weigh it down with lazors and glow sticks and flashlights and target designators and grenade launchers and AFGs and mag couplers and a silencer?  seriously is hte barrel threaded? i think it had something, either 3 lug or 1/2 28 threads me hopes...

if you  hate cz, chekc out these

https://www.google.com/search?q=tnw+asr&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

barrel switching goodness. alas, they dont have threaded barrels, so i shall pass until i see one cheap...

OP, chekc out the 460 rowland conversion for one of those, thats some firepower! i htink they make one?

Edited by saltydecimator

That has me interested. Both beretta and taurus have come out with cool PCCs that don't take thier pistol mags. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Also I kinda like the idea of companion guns, especially for hiking/camping locations. 10mm would be pretty cool for a light carbine & pistol that take the same mags. It ought to be plenty for most foraging, and not a terrible choice for dangerous game in the lower 48.

GUYS,

I'VE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING BUT GOOD ABOUT THE MECH TECH CCU, EXCEPT THAT THE ORIGINALS HAD A FLIMSY BUTTSTOCK.

THAT'S THE ONLY THING THAT KEPT ME AWAY FROM ONE, YEARS AGO.

THAT IS ALL CHANGED NOW, WITH M4 TYPE STOCKS AND OTHERS AVAILABLE.

IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THE OLDER GUNS WITH THE FLIMSY STOCK, THEY NOW HAVE AN ADAPTER THAT ALLOWS YOU TO PUT AN M4 OR OTHER STOCK ON IT AS A RETROFIT.

CHECK OUT THE W-SITE, THEY HAVE SO MANY ACCESSORIES AND OPTIONS, SO THAT YOU CAN BUILD IT LIKE YOU WANT IT, THAT IT'D MAKE AN AR BLUSH.

IF YOU DO THE GLOCK VERSION, YOU CAN GET THE 33RND MAGS IN 9P, OR THE 22RND MAGS IN 40/357.

JUS' SAYIN'......

MECHTECHSYSDOTCOM.

JESS1344

If you go with the XD version there are Promag 30 rd mags...  And they're reliable, at least mine is.

Hard to find XD pistol lowers alone, that is the only problem I see so far.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I've got one in the 9mm / G17 model, had it for several years now and as I get older tend to use it more than the pistols. As someone pointed out the original stocks leave something to be desired but I've cut it and reshaped it to a better fit for me. Old picture attached, I'll post a new one with the stock cut later.

Mine has run flawlessly and isn't bad on accuracy not a tack driver but I can hit more with it than my pistol at a pretty good range. I bought it when I was using a stainless frame on my G24 and had a spare frame laying around, when I sold the stainless frame I bought a used frame so I could still have the pistol set up too.

post-26137-0-49201100-1425904488_thumb.jpg

Mech Tech sells several stocks / attachments for the units and I know 1 of them is a M4 set up. I wanted more drop in the comb / butt so I cut and bent the cheapo original down and shortened it some to what felt good for me with a red dot on it. Still have some work to do on it.

on that stainless frame I really like it for shooting matches, it gave a much better trigger pull than the polymer and the weight pretty much ate all the recoil. It was too heavy to me for a carry gun even with a G17 or G22 upper. They stopped making them and the other danger was if anything broke it was pretty much scrapped out, no parts or fixes for them. I stopped shooting matches and sold it while it was still in good shape.

post-26137-0-90800100-1425942644_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Except that you have to move the frame over. 

The PCC I want is compact, has a pinned on magwell that can be swapped to match the pistol of my choice, and it uses a locked breach design rather than simple blowback. Thus less snappy recoil, reduced weight and it won't be whining about using +P ammo.

I really have come to appreciate the Kel-Tec Sub2K , common mags and ammo in 40SW.

Light, dependable, and accurate for reasonable range and highly concealable.

+P is no problem, aluminum cases will run if at some cost of total reliability.

That high fps Liberty ammo clocks in right about 2300fps from the 16" barrel, pushes the max range out a ways and flattens things out nicely.

Glock aint my first choice but should I need to streamline it's a good system and does not break the bank.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Awesome! I shot the hell of a 9mm for years. They are made locally in the valley and turn any glock lower in to a fun fuckin carbine with no paperwork and a nice long barrel for popping targets, or whatever, with a little distance.

You can really trick them out if you want but bone stock they are more fun than a barrel of monkeys. When I got mine years ago, it came out of a laundry repair shop in Kalispell Montana. Things were a bit fuzzy back then!

Have fun and shoot the hell out of it! They get better with age and grime!

p.s. the recoil seems a little queer at first but you get used to it. disregard the springy sound.

I really have come to appreciate the Kel-Tec Sub2K , common mags and ammo in 40SW.

That high fps Liberty ammo clocks in right about 2300fps from the 16" barrel, pushes the max range out a ways and flattens things out nicely.

Glock aint my first choice but should I need to streamline it's a good system and does not break the bank.

I have had the old iron sub 9 sub2K and the 9mm mectec. I think you would enjoy the mectec for shooting if you like the keltec stuff. It's a pretty small package and two pieces into your ruck sack really quick if you want to put it away. swap back your pistol upper and keep hiking!

Still looking for my old sub9. The sights on that thing made the rifle.

Tons of interest on youtube but still people are kind of iffy on practicality.

It's just a fun carbine to own and shoot. Nothing tactical. No super high tech. Just a lot of barrel for your glock!

Edited by Stryker0946

Yeah it looks like a real hoot to shoot 

Unfortunately, we are in the midst of a self imposed austerity program (hows that, better than cheap right?) where anything I buy has to have a direct purpose other than giving the old man a chubby. 

That metal Sub9 is a keeper though, real collectors piece that brings about a grand last I looked. Glad the Mech-Tech is working out I really considered it once but as you pointed out in practical terms the folding Sub2k just wins out.

During the aftermath of yet another pissed off storm we were out of power in the city for about a week+. Things were beginning to get a little dodgy about the 2cd night as of course we had the majority of the Katrina backwash living in town so I would sit on the front porch burning tobacco with the S2K folded and slung thus out of sight, not that anyone could see crap but one never knows. That was the night BTW I decided to look into those fangled night vision devices, dark as politician's heart.

There is a place for PCCs and yep fun as hell.

One more bit of rambling, the weight savings with Liberty CD amazed me, 22 round sticks don't feel like a brick now.

Those were all selling points to me. I don't really care for the company due to intermittent quality issues on almost every model, but they are creative.

RE the Liberty stuff. Funny you should mention that. A week ago or so, a friend from out of town got to shoot his first carry gun for the first time. I'd helped him with the selection, but the gun store talked him into the liberty. IMO it is not ideal ammo, but it was interesting. Not reliable in his new sig, but I ran a round through my hi point 995 out of curiosity. I shot a block of lead with it. The crater it made looked a lot like .308 Win craters, but for  a little core thing in there. I wish I had taken a picture now. Definitely a bigger wound in the lead than normal 9mm. I am not saying this is ammo I would carry for self defense, but it was interesting to see. We thought the liberty stuff was louder too.

I would take any of the above, but the industry is still waiting on a locked or delayed action PCC that is cheap, light and foldy while taking common pistol mags.

• Like 1

while not a perfect carbine the Mech Techs are pretty damn good, as shown in the video it will rattle off a big stick of ammo and no beer can is safe from puncture wounds. I run my cheap cast lead reloads in mine and it eats them like candy with no problems.

to me the cost of the base unit is more than reasonable for the way it works and it would have cost me more for a Glock or aftermarket pistol upper than I paid for the CCU. as far as practical to me it's my "22 rifle" and while not my go to gun for home defense it's far from the last thing I'd grab. With the stock set up on mine it's the same length overall as just the stock on my Mini-14.

the only real draw back is besides the CCU you need to have a dedicated receiver or you're having to choose do you want a pistol or a carbine right at that moment. as I said earlier I liked it well enough to buy a used lower just for it so that raises the buy cost up a chunk. I'm thinking the Deacon is going to be a happy camper with his buys.

Edited by the 4th Doctor
  • Like 1

Those were all selling points to me. I don't really care for the company due to intermittent quality issues on almost every model, but they are creative.

RE the Liberty stuff. Funny you should mention that. A week ago or so, a friend from out of town got to shoot his first carry gun for the first time. I'd helped him with the selection, but the gun store talked him into the liberty. IMO it is not ideal ammo, but it was interesting. Not reliable in his new sig, but I ran a round through my hi point 995 out of curiosity. I shot a block of lead with it. The crater it made looked a lot like .308 Win craters, but for  a little core thing in there. I wish I had taken a picture now. Definitely a bigger wound in the lead than normal 9mm. I am not saying this is ammo I would carry for self defense, but it was interesting to see. We thought the liberty stuff was louder too.

I would take any of the above, but the industry is still waiting on a locked or delayed action PCC that is cheap, light and foldy while taking common pistol mags.

Good thinking thanks  

Basically the Sub2k is all Ive ever been interested in from K-T for exactly those reasons. They nailed that one though.

Wouldnt compare it to a battle carbine but hey if I had to go light weight and/or unnoticeable it's nice to have more oomph than a 22LR.

SD ammo is pain, no rhyme or reason why one brand wont feed in some pistols so we cut and try, well there are reasons but damned if I know.

The way i see the Liberty CD is it gives a wider range of effectiveness against hard(er) targets without over penetration of soft ones. Kind of cake and eating it too though I know it's also a compromise. Too much to hope that lead test made it to video is it? That was an interesting way to test it.

I dont mind blow back at all just due to cheap, reliable, and innovative does not seem go with the action you want. Given the first two criteria are absolutely required well maybe one day. Think the market for PCC will have to expand before we see that kind of investment just IMHO.