I HAVE FINALLY FOUND SOMETHING I CAN AGREE WITH THE LEFT

MADE YOU LOOK ! NO I REALLY HAVE, I will stop yelling now a couple of days ago ,I saw somewhere where the left was pushing SMART GUNS  . I THINK they would be a really good idea in the right environment . I am not saying for the general populace but WE COULD ARM OUR TEACHERS , then if some thug took the gun away he couldn't use it ,  that was a massive brainfart . Otherwise I am totally against it!  That would be better than throwing a damn can !!!!!!

I agree but my point is how can they say it would be a danger to arm the teachers . Their argument is always someone will take the gun away how what would be their argument  after all it is a smart gun wont work for anyone else . I am part of the 3% MOLON LABE . I am all for teachers being armed. I AM ALL WITH YOU ON NOT ONE MORE INCH , but if someone suggested it to them I bet that would catch them off . They would have to think about that one.

Doing so accepts the false premise that no individuals cannot be responsible with firearms. Which is the foundation of the left's campaign against guns. It also confirms the bias that guns are the problem and not the individuals using them, and plays right into the hands of the gun grabber's agenda. Hell no!

Allow teachers who are willing, and undergo standard background checks and extensive training to conceal carry while at school. That is a pipe dream that will never happen, but IMHO that would prevent the next "school massacre"

• Like 3

Doing so accepts the false premise that no individuals cannot be responsible with firearms. Which is the foundation of the left's campaign against guns. It also confirms the bias that guns are the problem and not the individuals using them, and plays right into the hands of the gun grabber's agenda. Hell no!

Allow teachers who are willing, and undergo standard background checks and extensive training to conceal carry while at school. That is a pipe dream that will never happen, but IMHO that would prevent the next "school massacre"

You're almost there. The 2nd has NO restrictions on it. NO "extensive training" NO "background check". Make it mandatory for ALL school personnel of legal age to carry a weapon, and get rid of the gun free school zone bullshit. 

If some school district wants to arm teachers with "smart guns" I don't really care. It's better than telling them to run away and hide in a closet. Still, it's stupid beyond belief when compared to a simple plan such as having a group of several trained staff on premesis (including teachers or administrators themselves) and a centrally accessible, secured, easy to use firearm e.g. 12-ga shotgun loaded with less-than-lethal rounds of some sort that could quickly incapacitate a shooter.. Since school districts are so terrified of letting teachers who are qualified carry personal firearms, that should be acceptable, but apparently it's not, as such plans are always rejected outright without even reasonable consideration.

Just keep in mind that there are numerous anti-gun groups who will take such an endorsement and run with it, then using it as a reference point in their demands to FORCE police and civilians to adopt this technology, no matter how half-baked it is. New Jersey is such a place - NJ state has a law that within 30 months of workable smart gun technology being developed, ALL pistol sales in NJ must include said technology.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/06/24/325178305/a-new-jersey-law-thats-kept-smart-guns-off-shelves-nationwide

Keep in mind that the smart gun tech as it currently exists, seems to only be workable with small-caliber pistols such as .22LR. It costs several thousand dollars for a .22LR gun, with the smart watch being sold separately. Watch batteries die? So does the gun. Along with a whole long list of possible malfunctions related to RFID technology - you do know that this technology is not 100% reliable, and can be easily hacked/jammed right?

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Much better other ways of doing it.  How about a max security holster?  Lots of classroom (pun intended) training and much range time with real training ... not just punching holes.  Why limit teachers to handguns?  Never bring one to a smg fight. 

Again ... in an alternate reality where reason and sanity prevail, Military type automatic rifles are placed inside each classroom with a quick release SECURE cabinet.  In high school responsible seniors also are trained and are packing.  All the administrators also.

Ramble:  The Following Not needed ....

Kinda like a return to around 1966 where I was the president of the high school rifle club.  About once a month in the spring semester, we would all walk or ride to school carrying all of our iron and ammo.  Quite a load out for a young man.  At least 60 pounds.

For me it included a Rockola springtube M1 Carbine, a nice Winchester Garand and a high number 1903A3, plus lots of mags, clips and various ammo.  At about 3:15 pm about 40 of us (girls also) piled into a school district provided Crown Supercoach school bus.

Quite a sight.  All those guns.  All those kids.  We had about 6 teacher instructers.  All combat vets.  We drove East to the Silverado high power rifle range in Orange County Ca.  Now long gone.  Those were the days.  We had ZERO problems.  NONE.

Is a return to those days and mindset possible today?  Yep.  All it would take is reversing about 30 years of bullshit young people today are totally and completely exposed to, including music, TV, movies, games, etc.  Probably an impossible thing to do.  Oh well.

HB of CJ (old coot)

• Like 3

My first post was obviously satirical.  But seriously....I would love to see every teacher and admin (even maintenance crew) trained and armed.  I think it would stop nearly everything that has happened.  I know not all attacks can be avoided, but this would be a great help.  No gun free zones...that's where the criminals know they'll be unobstructed.  If the criminals knew that people were armed and were willing to shoot to kill to defend themselves, I'm pretty sure crime would drop drastically.  But being armed and not being trained or familiar with your weapon is even worse than not being armed at all.

You're almost there. The 2nd has NO restrictions on it. NO "extensive training" NO "background check". Make it mandatory for ALL school personnel of legal age to carry a weapon, and get rid of the gun free school zone bullshit.

No...I'm there. I support felons not being able to own a firearm, and if you haven't noticed many of our public schools are having the same problem as the Catholic Church. I welcome teacher's being able to carry at school, but I expect them to have safety training, and be proficient in the use of a firearm before doing so. That is not unreasonable. Everyone of us expect the same when we are around others. Handling a firearm on a "cold" range is going to cause me to have words (albeit polite at first) with the person doing it. Waiving a muzzle at others is unacceptable. I think most would agree that training is needed before being allowed to use a firearm. Most of us got that from our parents growing up, and we continue to hand that training down to our children.

If some school district wants to arm teachers with "smart guns" I don't really care. It's better than telling them to run away and hide in a closet. Still, it's stupid beyond belief when compared to a simple plan such as having a group of several trained staff on premesis (including teachers or administrators themselves) and a centrally accessible, secured, easy to use firearm e.g. 12-ga shotgun loaded with less-than-lethal rounds of some sort that could quickly incapacitate a shooter.. Since school districts are so terrified of letting teachers who are qualified carry personal firearms, that should be acceptable, but apparently it's not, as such plans are always rejected outright without even reasonable consideration.

Just keep in mind that there are numerous anti-gun groups who will take such an endorsement and run with it, then using it as a reference point in their demands to FORCE police and civilians to adopt this technology, no matter how half-baked it is. New Jersey is such a place - NJ state has a law that within 30 months of workable smart gun technology being developed, ALL pistol sales in NJ must include said

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/06/24/325178305/a-new-jersey-law-thats-kept-smart-guns-off-shelves-nationwide

Keep in mind that the smart gun tech as it currently exists, seems to only be workable with small-caliber pistols such as .22LR. It costs several thousand dollars for a .22LR gun, with the smart watch being sold separately. Watch batteries die? So does the gun. Along with a whole long list of possible malfunctions related to RFID technology - you do know that this technology is not 100% reliable, and can be easily hacked/jammed right?

That brings up a second objection to the OP. Any current smart gun technology is going to require the operator of the gun to wear some type of equipment, ring, bracelet, etc with a RFID chip. The gun can still be taken away, and with the ring or bracelet on the person, can still be used once removed from the teacher.

• Like 1

Years after Sandy Hook with no mandatory security plans utilizing at least non-lethal alternatives such as Tasers for teachers/staff is proof that our kid's safety is not a serious concern to our current bout of politicians on either 'side'.  I have little doubt that it will proper school security will never happen in my lifetime without some new technology that can appease the cowards out there.

We have "smart" phones.  We have "smart" cars.  We have "smart" televisions.  

All "smart" technology takes control from the user and puts it in somebody else's hands. 

Right now this computer I'm typing on is being used by somebody to do something I wouldn't like.

No "smart" guns.

• Like 2

$75 in loose change gets an armored truck and armed guards.

250 precious school children get NO security and a sign GUN FREE (KILLING) ZONE

"SMART" guns are only a 'good idea' in the mind of STUPID people!

• Like 1

Most emphatically no. If your weapon requires electronics and RF signals to work it can and will no doubt be able to be jammed. And once that cat is out of the bag how long do you think it would be before black market jamming gear is available to anyone who would have reason to prevent you from using a weapon?

Much better other ways of doing it.  How about a max security holster?  Lots of classroom (pun intended) training and much range time with real training ... not just punching holes.  Why limit teachers to handguns?  Never bring one to a smg fight. 

Again ... in an alternate reality where reason and sanity prevail, Military type automatic rifles are placed inside each classroom with a quick release SECURE cabinet.  In high school responsible seniors also are trained and are packing.  All the administrators also.

Ramble:  The Following Not needed ....

Kinda like a return to around 1966 where I was the president of the high school rifle club.  About once a month in the spring semester, we would all walk or ride to school carrying all of our iron and ammo.  Quite a load out for a young man.  At least 60 pounds.

For me it included a Rockola springtube M1 Carbine, a nice Winchester Garand and a high number 1903A3, plus lots of mags, clips and various ammo.  At about 3:15 pm about 40 of us (girls also) piled into a school district provided Crown Supercoach school bus.

Quite a sight.  All those guns.  All those kids.  We had about 6 teacher instructers.  All combat vets.  We drove East to the Silverado high power rifle range in Orange County Ca.  Now long gone.  Those were the days.  We had ZERO problems.  NONE.

Is a return to those days and mindset possible today?  Yep.  All it would take is reversing about 30 years of bullshit young people today are totally and completely exposed to, including music, TV, movies, games, etc.  Probably an impossible thing to do.  Oh well.

HB of CJ (old coot)

I remember in the mid 70's when I was in high school rifle loaded rifle racks in the back of pickup trucks in the parking lot was a common sight. .22 ammo could be found in at least a full third of the lockers in the school and the ROTC department had an armory stocked with about 100 M14 rifles. The firing pins were stored in the ROTC office as well as a fair quantity of ammo. The .22 firing range was under the stadium and was in use almost every afternoon for those wanting to qualify or practice.

I don't know if we can ever return to the state of mind where tools are simply tools and people are either good or evil, but wouldn't it be grand?

Edited by The Deacon
  • Like 1