Don't forget a good blunt force weapon. A nice aluminum bat should fit the bill.

I like sharp force weapons better. I've an excellent machete that is useful for so many things. I do need to make a scabbard for it though.

Something like this? ...

71K6GayLFML._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, cause real tough guys don't talk about zombies.  Real tough guys are too grown up to talk about zombies.  Real tough guys swear at people who talk about zombies.  Cause they're real tough guys.

The best SHTF rifle? the one I pry from your dead fingers after my tribe of cannibal outlaws raid your shit because you posted your location, all the SHTF weapons and supplies you have on hand and all

Zombies are typically portrayed as brainless beings who destroy and devour the rest of humanity.   In other words, the apocalypse has already started and DC is overrun.

Posted Images

Those seem very heavy and clunky. Some of them make sense for a fire fighter though. a stud wrench type prybar could get interior walls out of the way in a real hurry. I guess that makes sense for Israeli urban tactics where you make roads through houses quickly rather than walking in the open streets.

• Like 2

I personally lean towards a framing hammer i've come to carry around the house at night since I'm still waiting on the family situation to clear up enough for me to be able to justify the 500+ dollar expense of my pistol of choice and a solid chunk of ammo for it and I really don't feel like carrying my full length shotgun with me when I have to take a piss or make a sandwich. 

• Like 2

Don't forget a good blunt force weapon. A nice aluminum bat should fit the bill.

I like sharp force weapons better. I've an excellent machete that is useful for so many things. I do need to make a scabbard for it though.

Cold Steel is making a 'Gladius' machete now. More of a fun toy, but I have found it useful for yard work. Edges were a little rough, 1/2 hour with a Lansky puck & some diamond laps did the trick. Just the thing for removing unwanted limbs...

gladius-2.jpg

Battlemace, sadly discontinued, never needs sharpening.  Adds a whole new dimension to 'breaking & entering' here:

• Like 1

I've been meaning to do a video review. I think reviews of this kind of tool have taken a wrong turn lately. Mostly absurd abuse tests which result in expensive tools that are too heavy to use much without exhausting yourself. i.e. an ontario cutlery machete which is 3/16" thick of 4140... A machete should be sharp  balanced, springy, thin, and efficient. The steel should be ductile enough to notch rather than chip, and be able to be hammered back. If you are using it as a tool, you will hit a rock or a piece of steel fence post in the brambles, etc. You need a tool that can handle that, and still cut well, and be restored quickly.

I picked this one up in guatemala, but I have used similarly good ones from all over. It's hard to find a decent machete in USA anymore.

This had made in germany stickers (long gone), but it looks like some of them are made in El Salvador per google. Corneta. Logo is a bugle. Model is No. 127. It has a groove down the length of the blade. (Corona is a different brand and not as nice. Some are OK.)  Mine looks like this " https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3112/2791281906_e3421b143b_b.jpg

It took a few passes with a file to get a proper working edge on there, but that's true for pretty much everything. I would guess it is about 50-55 HRC. The file bites well enough, but it is not cheese grade. I touch it up with a belt sander from time to time. I also trimmed some flashing off the handle with a pocketknife. I bought another one which was 4" longer at the same time, but it wouldn't fit in my luggage. I am 5'7" and the blade just rests on my toe from standing. if you are taller, you may want the next size up. IMO this is the best all around tool, but I would have liked the longer one for clearing grass and stickers/ medium alder trees.

• Like 1

oh and Hawk. I hate cold steel. I think they are based on misleading people and ripping them off. They promote their stuff with absurd tests which if anything show the skill of the user, not the quality of the item. i.e. "hanging rope" test. They are also completely responsible for the abominable trend of "tanto point" knives. I'll never forgive them for that.

Even when they make a decent product every now and then, I wouldn't buy from them. There's probably a better product for less anyway. If I were buying a play sword or crossover sword/ machete, there are some more appealing options out there. Probably just go safe and get an Albion sword if I end up getting another one, or even an antique pattern 1821 saber. I really like those, and the real thing costs less than Cold Steels clumsy repros of sabers. I guarantee that if you looked for more than 2 months for a decent 1821/22 pattern saber from UK or similar you would find one for under $350. (I had one, and it is very cool:

)

Clunky cold steel clone $400 http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/88HCS/U_S_1860_HEAVY_CAVALRY_SABER.aspx

Real deal $200-400 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=saber&_osacat=165585&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsaber+antique.TRS0&_nkw=saber+antique&_sacat=165585

• Like 2

oh and Hawk. I hate cold steel. I think they are based on misleading people and ripping them off. They promote their stuff with absurd tests which if anything show the skill of the user, not the quality of the item. i.e. "hanging rope" test. They are also completely responsible for the abominable trend of "tanto point" knives. I'll never forgive them for that.

Even when they make a decent product every now and then, I wouldn't buy from them. There's probably a better product for less anyway. If I were buying a play sword or crossover sword/ machete, there are some more appealing options out there. Probably just go safe and get an Albion sword if I end up getting another one, or even an antique pattern 1821 saber. I really like those, and the real thing costs less than Cold Steels clumsy repros of sabers. I guarantee that if you looked for more than 2 months for a decent 1821/22 pattern saber from UK or similar you would find one for under $350. (I had one, and it is very cool:

)

Clunky cold steel clone $400 http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/88HCS/U_S_1860_HEAVY_CAVALRY_SABER.aspx

Real deal $200-400 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=saber&_osacat=165585&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsaber+antique.TRS0&_nkw=saber+antique&_sacat=165585

I have to agree that most of their stuff is overpriced. Albion is spendy, but is supposed to be about the best 'production' large cutlery.  Love their Gallowglass.

Arms and Armor is supposed to be pretty good too. I've been seriously thinking about their hollow-ground Henry V, (big fan of type XVIIIs & wish I could find an old Angus Trim AT-1557) but for the money, I'll almost  certainly end up getting another rifle (and optics & mounts).

A/A Henry V:

sword210a.jpg

Someone who knows what they're doing with AT-1557, I'd probably look like Van Gogh at the 22 second mark.

• Like 2

+1 on the Atrim stuff. I used to have a special savings account specifically toward and Atrim blade. Then life happened and he disappeared. Christian Fletcher is still doing beautiful stuff though.

I note that Albion now has an entry level line for practical swords that is more in the Angus Trim price bracket. I kinda prefer to do my own sharpening anyway for anything which would have a secondary bevel.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

Since this is fictional, I want a cartoon physics rifle that never runs out of ammo and doesn't miss.

like them M-4's they talk about at BARFCOM?

• Like 2

Have pity for the fool who brings his knife to the gun fight

Poor folks who live in or near big cities full of fergusonites will have to bug out or die

But just where do they think they are going to hide in any east coast or highly populated state?

out here there are thousands of uninhabited square miles, so if we had to go we could take LOTS of stuff with us, and hang out in extremely remote areas.

let the rest of the people kill each other off, while Im on an extended camping, hunting and fishing tripbig_smile.gif

PS i will burn the ranch when I leave, no sense leaving anything for the riff raff

But just where do they think they are going to hide in any east coast or highly populated state?

Most of the people you speak of here on the east coast have no plans at all. They expect .gov will handle everything and make things right. Including feeding, clothing and securing them.

Most of the people you speak of here on the east coast have no plans at all. They expect .gov will handle everything and make things right. Including feeding, clothing and securing them.

Just like Katrina?

I can see the Bug Out situation with one (to go) bag for the bad storm or riot ect.

But also consider.

If,  or more likely when, a serious SHTF situation happens, I think survival will depend more on where you are than what you have, or take. 

with no power, no trucking no fuel...any city will become a death trap almost overnight.

In short order people will die in huge numbers, disease, starvation,lack of medical facility's or meds and of course violence.

If a person is in close proximity to millions of other desperate people, chances of survival go down very quickly.

I know people who think they can just go to the mountains and survive off the land......maybe until contact with other people that think the same way, 

Or until the first snow.

A SHTF situation will be no picnic for most people, the least of your worries would be what rifle or pistol you possess 

all that said,

and to answer the original post

rifle   a 16' AR carbine in 5.56 And a second upper in 22lr

pistol    a 1911 in 45 or 9mm with a 22lr conversion

• Like 4

Threads like this are just no fun without pictures.

My picks would be my AK-74m(converted saiga), and G17.

143_4134.jpg

Oh, and I heard someone likes Cold Steel tanto points. If I'm not carrying a multitool I have this.

143_4136.jpg

• Like 1

Practice your Tueller drills.

Done that more or less. It teaches humility. I've an airsoft clone of the pistol I carry. I think I am reasonably quick for a 5 count draw from concealed. Probably about what most people get to with a bit of practice. I am lucky to be able to get it on target and get a shot off when my friend was rushing me from ~40 feet. I was able to get him a couple times from ~20 feet, but that's knowing a friend is going to rush me at some time in the next minute with nothing occupying my attention more than conversation with a person standing close to me. -- Kind of like Kato in the pink panther. Friend B had permission to rush me at any time in an afternoon while I was trying to teach some other people the very basics of sword fighting (Which is about all I can claim to know.) I think we were about 50/50 for the hour.

• Like 1