I was lucky enough to have one of my hunting/fishing buddies invite me up to his 1500+ acre spread here in SW Alabama.
And as always the hunting was very good...  Thanks George!

Scored my personal best Buck ever.
A 9 point, 150#, 4-5 year old male in his prime
(11 pts if you count the two 1" Kickers coming off each Brow tine)

I nailed him with my Savage 16/FCSS Weather Warrior .308, put a Hornady 165gr SP/BT Interlock into him about 4" and a little high behind his right shoulder, it exited at the same level about 10-12" behind the left shoulder.
He managed to reverse course and clear the plot in two bounds, disappearing down a hill into a wooded ravine.
No blood on the plot, I tried three different trails he could have taken before I got lucky and found a few drops of blood.
Few and far between until I found a spot he went down and thrashed, then a lot more blood.  Trailed him all the way down into the creek bottom of a 100' ravine and found him about 150 yards further down.

IMG_20160122_091535182_zpsmgqxxzus.jpg

We had to get some rope to add to the 25yards of cable on the Jeep's winch, and winch him out of there.
Finally got him up and caught my breath, and took another pic.

IMG_20160122_103653972_zpssjtzuvjd.jpg

IMG_20160123_105401439_zpszohmmgtp.jpg

Later that day I sat another plot for the evening hunt.
It was a large showing of Does with late fawns and assorted juveniles.
Lots of rabbits too.
I picked out a nice doe from a group of six that appeared to be without and young, and put a round through her shoulder/spine.
(same round as above)
She dropped like a box of rocks.
I could have taken another in the mass confusion, although most of the deer bolted, a few of the does/juvies were actually stopping to stare at the downed doe. But I couldn't differentiate between who had young and who didn't.

She weighed in at 90#s before being dressed out.

IMG_20160122_170242685_zpsybswqpbv.jpg

The next day we found some pigs.
These two little piglets didn't go to market, have roast beef and nor did they go weee, weee, weee all the way home.
Cause I blew their brains out.  But they did get invites to a great BBQ.

IMG_20160123_124303576_zps8jno84bh.jpg

• Like 9

Very nice.  I hope you have a chest freezer!

Yeppers, sure do.

Though once processed it doesn't a whole lot of space.

Two deer cut into roasts, steaks and stew meat, took about 1.5 CF, of coarse I don't utilize the ribs.

Cool Bro, I'm jealous cause I cant hunt two weeks after rotator cuff surgery. Best part of the season in North Alabama and I'm one armed

That's what you get trying to hold a heavy muzzle loader over your head like that.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...