You would think they would go with a 260 Rem - 6.5 mm setup.

I wouldn't think that. A cartridge that's already supported by the system has a lot of advantages even if the ballistics are marginally better for other cartridges.

After some quick checking, the HK MR762 is a very expensive rifle. I doubt it's enough better than other AR308 varieties to justify that price, but even if you take the inflated price of the rifle as a starting point, and add a Nightforce scope, you still don't get anywhere near $12k.

However, if you go with top of the line Schmidt Bender glass you actually get to $12k.

If the rifle and the glass are really good enough to justify the money then I'm happy to spend it on this rather than another obamaphone handout to human parasites.

So maybe I take back my previous remark or at least revise it.

Edited by Darth Saigus

You would think they would go with a 260 Rem - 6.5 mm setup.

I wouldn't think that. A cartridge that's already supported by the system has a lot of advantages even if the ballistics are marginally better for other cartridges.

After some quick checking, the HK MR762 is a very expensive rifle. I doubt it's enough better than other AR308 varieties to justify that price, but even if you take the inflated price of the rifle as a starting point, and add a Nightforce scope, you still don't get anywhere near $12k.

However, if you go with top of the line Schmidt Bender glass you actually get to $12k.

If the rifle and the glass are really good enough to justify the money then I'm happy to spend it on this rather than another obamaphone handout to human parasites.

So maybe I take back my previous remark or at least revise it.

Nope! There are AMERICAN manufacturers that make AR10 type rifles for FAR less $ that are extremely accurate.

This needs to go out for bid again.

• Like 4

The article didn't even include a photo of the HK CSASS, the G28E, which is basically just a short barreled HK417.

Wanna bet that it will almost immediately be found to perform sub-par in long range activity due to the short barrel and .308 BC, and they will end up throwing out $44.5 mil in rifles - since even though they're semi-auto, they'll never surplus them to us..

They asked for a sniper rifle and got a DMR

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/de/hk-g2-sniper-rifle-e.html

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/01/22/shot-show-hk-g28e/

Edited by mancat

I don't give a fuck if it's made on Mars if its the right tool for the job. I said before that I question whether it's worth the money but American made doesn't mean it's the right tool and foreign made doesn't mean it's the wrong tool.

I've been in manufacturing for over 30 years. Americans are quite capable of building shit. If foreigners are doing it better then Americans need to step it up.

And I'll say it again. I doubt this rifle is worth what they're charging for it. We need the best tools for our warfighters and IF this is the best tool I'm all for it. IF. IF. IF.

I don't have anywhere near the experience in precision rifles to say what the "best" rifle is but I'm sure there are plenty of genuine internet experts to set me straight.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

I don't give a fuck if it's made on Mars if its the right tool for the job. I said before that I question whether it's worth the money but American made doesn't mean it's the right tool and foreign made doesn't mean it's the wrong tool.

I've been in manufacturing for over 30 years. Americans are quite capable of building shit. If foreigners are doing it better then Americans need to step it up.

Goody for you. Go get yourself a cookie, preferably one made somewhere else. Take a plane to go get it. One way.

We have lost most of our manufacturing base. It is in the Nation's best interest to support American jobs. It is also in the best interest of National Security that Defense items be made in the USA.

• Like 1
It is in the Nation's best interest to support American jobs. It is also in the best interest of National Security that Defense items be made in the USA.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with that. If it is something that is meant to defend our soil then it should come from our soil.

But I understand that is not usually the case.

The article didn't even include a photo of the HK CSASS, the G28E, which is basically just a short barreled HK417.

Wanna bet that it will almost immediately be found to perform sub-par in long range activity due to the short barrel and .308 BC, and they will end up throwing out $44.5 mil in rifles - since even though they're semi-auto, they'll never surplus them to us..

They asked for a sniper rifle and got a DMR

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/de/hk-g2-sniper-rifle-e.html

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/01/22/shot-show-hk-g28e/

naw, if you watch apex gun parts they always gettin some kewl colts from PDs, maybe thats diff tho, as its not "military"  therefore their guns arent for killin, its for protecting so they politically correct?! hahahahaha

Goody for you. Go get yourself a cookie, preferably one made somewhere else. Take a plane to go get it. One way.

We have lost most of our manufacturing base. It is in the Nation's best interest to support American jobs. It is also in the best interest of National Security that Defense items be made in the USA.

Hell of an attitude to have on a forum dedicated to Russian made firearms.

.. Russian made firearms used for SPORT not National Defense. There's a clear distinction. I guess that point was lost on you. 

Edited by patriot

.. Russian made firearms used for SPORT not National Defense. There's a clear distinction. I guess that point was lost on you.
Not really. If am ally is building it better aren't or guys deserving of the best in the world?

It really seems like your attitude was aimed at a fellow forum member and not at the idea that American companies weren't on par with the winner.

Maybe there just built cheaper, who knows. That's what "mil-spec" usually boils down to.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for keeping jobs domestic. I have a fabrication business that only uses domestic produced steel and it's not cheap. But that's the price of not living in shanties.

I try not to get angry at consumers,about it, I just try to build something they want enough to pay the extra for.