Buffer...Yay or Nay?

Im on the fence on weather i should get a Blackjack buffer for my S-12.I have heard good and bad.Good being less recoil and wear,Bad being short cycles causeing jambs.Do you realy feel any less recoil? Whats your alls experiences?

Edited by Pointer

I make my own using 1/4 inch rubber gasket material, they are softer and provide a nice bumper for the bolt carrier to slam into there by reducing some felt recoil by absorbing the impact of the bolt. I have used the green ones as well but I find the softer the better. Home made ones are cheap and easy to make I usually make about six or eight when I sit down to make some. Of course they do not last a long time like the store bought ones do about 400 rounds or so that's why I make a half dozen at a time.

Big yay for the Blackjack green. Some recoil reduction but mostly good rear trunnion protection. I've seen some S-12s that were shot too long without one where it's hard to take out the recoil spring because the steel is bashed around the groove.

I removed mine and am getting better reliability. I was running hot loads, and I think the buffer was bouncing the bolt back too soon (that's just a guess). Did it in the middle of a match and reliability went up. I'm going to try very thin buffers, but might just do without.

I removed mine and am getting better reliability. I was running hot loads, and I think the buffer was bouncing the bolt back too soon (that's just a guess). Did it in the middle of a match and reliability went up. I'm going to try very thin buffers, but might just do without.

Hey Kenneth I'll bring one my home made ones for you to try out next match if you like it you can have it.

Hey Kenneth I'll bring one my home made ones for you to try out next match if you like it you can have it.

Trying out the office of redundency office computer

Edited by topmaul

The buffers are a good think since you are cushioning the force from the bolt. It's like using a shock buff for a 1911 or 2011 IPSC open or limited pistol.

I was using a green BlackJackBuffer in my Saiga 12 and things were going well for the first 150 rounds. I was using No. 4 bird shot on gas setting 2. (It would not work on setting 1, only slugs and 00 buck.) After the 150-round mark, I was getting failures to feed. I took out the buffer and it's been working well ever since. I wish I could use a buffer but reliability comes first.

Is there a way to design a buffer that can be securely attached to the back of the bolt area that rides on the rear rail? If so, then that would enhance reliability since it would not be moving. In a 1911 pistol, the buffer is secured by the constant pressure of the recoil spring. Just a thought.

I had a green buffer in my s-12 for a while. it gave me a a lot of failure to feeds, especially the second round. I took it out and the problem went away. I noticed that the plastic had ripped, and could ride up and down the spring, so maybe I just had a bad buffer. either way I wouldn't put another one back in.

i put buffers in all of my saigas. The green buffer in my S-12 has never given me any reliablity issues. I must say, i personally dont think they do a whole heck of a lot to reduce recoil, but they sure do a great job of reducing wear to the trunion, by keeping the rear of the bolt carrier from slamming into it...

Does anyone know if the russian military/police use buffers to prevent damage to their S-12s???

If you want my two cents I say FUCK THE BUFFER!! how many rounds will it take to do any real damage 100,000 , 500,000?

If your slot for the spring gets chomped a bit just file it out :ded:

I read a post from tromix about the florida swat team trials and they an 8" and put a heap of rounds through it , it would be interesting to see how many buffers they used up if any or did they use no buffers at all ,

has any one used a fuckn shit load of heavy round with out a bufer mabye they could post a few pictures

:smoke:

I have a green one. I cannot tell a difference really. It has not caused any failures to feed. I do get the occasional stove-pipe from some brands of cheap ass bulk pack target loads, but it does that with or without the buffer (I know, I tried). The full power stuff cycles with no problem.

I make my own using 1/4 inch rubber gasket material, they are softer and provide a nice bumper for the bolt carrier to slam into there by reducing some felt recoil by absorbing the impact of the bolt. I have used the green ones as well but I find the softer the better. Home made ones are cheap and easy to make I usually make about six or eight when I sit down to make some. Of course they do not last a long time like the store bought ones do about 400 rounds or so that's why I make a half dozen at a time.

Trying out the office of redundency office computer

if you don't want to use a buffer, just don't I use home made ones myself and like them. Another thing is it can't hurt.

I got a question, do you make your own buffers? :haha:

<smartass-off>

I think I said it before - but here it comes anyway...

Buffers might be good if you like to reduce felt recoil (who does anyways?) but they are not improving reliability.

If you use the gun for self defence, competition or hunting - then reliability should be one high priority of yours.

I used to have a buffer. But no more.

For me reliability is no 1. Therefore I ripped the buffer out.

Due to the reduced stroke the S-12 stopped feeding heavy load buck shots and jammed. Without the buffer the S-12 never let me down once. It does not matter what I feed it with, it always does its job.

As far as I am concerned the guns job is to say BANG when I press the trigger.

Comfortable soothing softness can be acquired elsewhere.

I agree with random 100 percent!!!! No need for a buffer/protector(MONEY MAKER), I laugh at people buying it for there AK47.... TAKING THE RECOIL is half the FUN.

Many disagree with this. I shoot at least 250 rounds per month, many time more than that. Mostly high grain slugs since our ranges around here only allow slug shooting. After about 50 rounds of high brass in a row. it can effect your accuracy and shooting ability because recoil beats the tar out of ANYONE at that point.

I'll post a pic of my last two buffers I replaced. When you see them you would wonder why you didn't use one. If you are an occassional shooter that blasts off a couple boxes here and there, heck yea don't even consider it.

I have the green buffer as well. It slightly reduced recoil on slugs, but I mostly use it to protect the rear trunnion - not because I think normal operation hurts it too much, but because I'm concerned I'll forget to switch the gas back to the restricted setting while firing magnum slugs or something - additionally, my Saiga has smaller than normal gas ports, so I have to use it on the fully open setting to cycle 100% with low-recoil slugs which might cause the bolt carrier to slam back harder than it should. Still, it's mostly for my forgetfulness. They're cheap, don't seem to impact reliability, and this one seems to be holding up for a long time.