16" vs 20" Barrel

Ok, first post here - love this forum! Have decided to order my VERY first autoloading rifle, and it's for sure going to be the Saiga 7.62!!!!

With that said, I hope this topic has not been beat up before and did look before posting....

My question is with this new rifle using factory ammo and scoped from the bench, what size 3 shot groups could a "better than average" marksman expect at 100 and 200 yards?

Would going with the 20" barrel make much/if any difference to your answer?

Also, "what must have" accesories should I consider when placing my order? :ph34r:

One thing to consider is that with a longer barrel, the harmonics will be worse if the barrel is not thicker, which is the case here.

For a comparison, go to Home depot and try to bend a 16" piece of shoe mould, and then a 22" piece. The 22" piece is much easier to bend.

All else being equal, a shorter barrel is stiffer.

Also, I like shorter barrels because longer ones are more unwieldy

Edited by BlenderWizard
I like the barrel longer. Where I live it is VERY flat and I want to get as much velocity out of the 7.62's powder charge for longer shots.

I too like the longer barrel. I have a short barreled AK for other tasks but my Saiga is long barreled, scoped, with bipod. One thing I've noticed, the longer barreled gun has noticably LESS recoil, much more enjoyable to shoot at extended range sessions. AM thinking of taking it to Orlando in January for an Appleseed Shoot, two days, 400 rounds per day, nothing but rifle shooting instruction.

I also like the 20 inch model....mine is very accurate and soft shooting. I have a number of regular AK's in short barrel but I am keeping my Saiga long barrel long.

I am going to see if Tromix can do a RPK mod on the Saiga 20 for me.

Paul

Let me ask this, if I were to go with the 16"bbl and add a brake would this still be something an early teenager would still enjoy running a couple/few dozen rounds through at the range on occasion?

As a 21 year old I love to run ammo through mine without a brake (16" version)

From my experience a sixteen year old is going to enjoy just about what ever you are kind enough to provide for them to shoot. I know I did......

If they might hunt with it, the long barrel would be my choice. For general shooting it really doesn't matter. Pick your poison, go forth be happy and have a ball. You won't be wrong no matter which way you go......

So just buy what you want.

Kids love to shoot.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Let me ask this, if I were to go with the 16"bbl and add a brake would this still be something an early teenager would still enjoy running a couple/few dozen rounds through at the range on occasion?

the recoil on 7.62x39 isn't bad really.

it's there, but it's not painful.

has the kid ever fired a 20 gauge or somethign? it's about half that. at least on my yugo SKS, i suppose that's a heavier gun, but i still dont' think it would be too bad in a saiga either.

223 saigas should be reallly light on recoil. not quite the same vegetable liquifying power of 7.62 though.

are the barrels interchangeable? I just recieved the 762 I ordered, but they sent me a 16" when I wanted a 20". They will send me a 20" if I pay to ship the 16" back, but I'm wondering if it'd be easier just to buy\install a 20"? It would also be nice to have the short for plinking and the long for hunting, what do you guys think?

are the barrels interchangeable? I just recieved the 762 I ordered, but they sent me a 16" when I wanted a 20". They will send me a 20" if I pay to ship the 16" back, but I'm wondering if it'd be easier just to buy\install a 20"? It would also be nice to have the short for plinking and the long for hunting, what do you guys think?

Changing the barrel on a Saiga is not an easy thing to do. They're pinned and pressed into the receiver.

I have both, some with and some without brakes... I cant tell the difference in accuracy at 100 M.

Both shoot the same - very well. I am pleased with 3 inch groups with 15 rounds at 50M consistently, with the irons.

BUY BOTH... Simple option... then buy TWO MORE OF EACH... put brakes on one of each... then you got the best of all worlds!!! :up: :up: :lol::up: :up:

:smoke:

I have seen this stated in a few places as well but have not yet found any real data backing it up. From what I've seen here and other places, it appears several folks would say the 223 is best out of a longer barrel for velocity purposes, but with the 7.62 the difference in velocity is minimal between say the 16 and 20 inch barrels. Based on what I've read, my intent is to get the 7.62 in a 16" bbl, and a 223 in the 20" flavor....

I'd agree, if anyone has a good understanding of this I'd also be extremely interested!

You do lose a bit of velocity with the short 223 barrel. With the soft point ammo I dont think its significant but with FMJ it makes a difference in effectiveness. Concerning the 7.62x39, I think it came out in the SKS first so it was probably designed with a 20 in barrel. The AK was designed as an all-around gun to relace many types of weapons so a shorter, handier barrel length was chosen. I like the shorter barrel for this reason and have the 308-1 in 16 inch. My bolt 308 has an 18 inch barrel. Not much is lost with the 30 cal ammo until you get to above 308/7.62x51.

Yea, the 7.62x39 was designed with shorter barrels in mind, but that is kind of inherent with an underbore intermediate cartrige. The relativly large slug gives you plenty of energy and any extra velocity is just a bonus. (For the 5.56, velocity is life.) However, in a longer barrel you do get a little more velocity and as an added bonus, less blast and flash. Sure don't get a 36" barrel for a 7.62.39, but you are going to gain a bit of velocity from that 20" barrel and have a longer sight radius. Personaly, I like the look of the longer barrels.

The cartrige was designed for a carbine from everything I read, but If the 7.62x39 is optimum for the 16" barrel, wonder why did they used 23" barrels on RPDs and RPKs?

Anyway aside from looks, I like shorter handier rifles unless I gain something from the barrel length like velocity to coincide with accuracy at longer range, on most any AKs it isn't a major consideration IMO. The only thing I can think of other than that is 308s do spit a lot of powder out of 16" barrles though.