Tell me why you'd pick either one. Thx. AZhunter

7.62 = more stopping power, cheaper ammo, classic AK appeal

.223 is a high-velocity round made to be low recoil and fairly accurate. the ak platform doesn't coincide as well with accuracy as it does with the spray and pray method. thus, there's little point to having a round that is better suited for a different platform like an AR. spend your money on what the AK was meant to be: 7.62x39. later on get a .223 in some form of AR variation. you'll thank yourself when you have a fast shooting tack driver and a classic weapon that can spray 30cal hunks of lead at anything within 200yards. if you get a .223 ak, you will lose on both fronts: it's too light to spray and pray but not accurate enough to try for a perfectly placed shot.

just my $0.02

the obvious answer to that question is BOTH!!

ofcourse thats not always an option...i for one would go for the x39. it was my first saiga and by far my favorite caliber of what i own. bigger slower bullet delivers more of a punch and will go through walls without blowing to pieces.

7.62 = more stopping power, cheaper ammo, classic AK appeal

Uh.. cheaper ammo doesn't seem to be the case anymore. :unsure:

On Sportsman's Guide website yesterday, most Wolf 7.62 was actually a little more expensive than Wolf .223. :blink:

Never thought I'd see that.

" if you get a .223 ak, you will lose on both fronts: it's too light to spray and pray but not accurate enough to try for a perfectly placed shot."
Yikes, since when has weight had any bearing on the "spray and pray" technique? I don't want to start anything here, but I imagine the "S&P technique" can be applied to any semi auto. Spray and pray is a waste anyway, theres a shoulder stock and sights on that thing for a reason. As for the original question, get both, they serve slightly different purposes. .223 is a bit more accurate and has more range, if you get one go for a 20" bbl. 7.62x39mm can be used to hunt, the magazines are easier to get a hold of. With .223 conversion you mod the magazines, with 7.62x39 you mod the mag catch. The .223 remington round is very well established here, 7.62x39 was plentiful and cheap, but we've seen how the prices can jump when avaliablity drops. Whenever somone asks which to get- the awnser lies in what they want to do with it?
" if you get a .223 ak, you will lose on both fronts: it's too light to spray and pray but not accurate enough to try for a perfectly placed shot."
Yikes, since when has weight had any bearing on the "spray and pray" technique? I don't want to start anything here, but I imagine the "S&P technique" can be applied to any semi auto. Spray and pray is a waste anyway, theres a shoulder stock and sights on that thing for a reason. As for the original question, get both, they serve slightly different purposes. .223 is a bit more accurate and has more range, if you get one go for a 20" bbl. 7.62x39mm can be used to hunt, the magazines are easier to get a hold of. With .223 conversion you mod the magazines, with 7.62x39 you mod the mag catch. The .223 remington round is very well established here, 7.62x39 was plentiful and cheap, but we've seen how the prices can jump when avaliablity drops. Whenever somone asks which to get- the awnser lies in what they want to do with it?

I agree. I can easily hit a 6" target every time at 100 yards so why wouldn't I aim and fire like I would any other rifle? Also I have red dots on most of my AKs which really improves speed and shot placement over the iron sights. I think the short sight radius has a lot to do with the supposed lack of accuracy associated with AKs.

I have a x39 Saiga, and I've only had the opportunity to fire a .223 AR once, but in comparison, I like the feel of the x39 cartridge better, simply because I can feel it more. call me crazy, but I don't trust a gun that doesn't let me know I'm shooting it, know what I mean?

That, and whenever I shoot the Saiga at the indoor range, that thing's so damn loud that it turns heads halfway down the firing line. :super:

i will say, this is a much better answer than i gave. :donatello:

weight has to do with S&P in terms of going through light armor/cover/car bodies/walls. .223 will be wasted on much of it, but a 7.62 will have a better chance of finding its way through and still have stopping power.

i'm a huge fan of accuracy, don't get me wrong, but each has their individual purposes. i wouldn't buy a chevelle for the track, i'd buy a porsche. and i wouldn't bring the porsche to the drag strip, i'd bring a chevelle. an ak was made to be raw muscle, so i won't try to make it give me finesse. could a chevelle run good lap times? hell yea, just as an AK would be good in .223. but the chevelle was designed for the strip, and the ak was designed for 7.62 IMO.

although, when you look at the AK-74, most of what i just said goes to the dogs. so as JK-47, it depends on what you want to do with it and i like his answer much better than mine.

I like the idea of having an AK in 223. In an Extended SHTF Scenario (sorry Bob, I can't help it) or TEOTWAWKI, 223 ammo will likely be more plentiful. Sure, the 223 Saiga isn't going to be as accurate as an AR, but it will be MORE accurate than a 7.62x39 Saiga AND it will be more RELIABLE than an AR.

I'd say start with an 7.62x39 Saiga. Later on, add the 223.

I like the idea of having an AK in 223. In an Extended SHTF Scenario (sorry Bob, I can't help it) or TEOTWAWKI, 223 ammo will likely be more plentiful. Sure, the 223 Saiga isn't going to be as accurate as an AR, but it will be MORE accurate than a 7.62x39 Saiga AND it will be more RELIABLE than an AR.

In an Extended SHTF Scenario... No ammo will be plentiful and will be the first thing to sell out. What you have on hand is probably what you'll have to survive with. You might find someone to sell you some at the bargain price of $5 - $10 per round if your lucky.

With a long term disruption in the supply chain (fuel, trucking, etc.). When stores are empty.... enough said. And I'm an optimist.

In that type of scenario, you had better hope you kill something with more ammo before you run out, or you'll probably be the dead one. And I'm sure whatever you kill with ammo will have something to use said ammo.

However, that brings up another point: Just how bad do you really want to survive a situation like that?

• 1 year later...

In that type of scenario, you had better hope you kill something with more ammo before you run out, or you'll probably be the dead one. And I'm sure whatever you kill with ammo will have something to use said ammo.

However, that brings up another point: Just how bad do you really want to survive a situation like that?

Boy, I sure know how to kill a thread.

I did the research

and I did find cheaper 7.62 x 39 ammo, all the way around.

I also found it in a lot of places, like places that have .223 ammo.

It's not always cheaper in every place, but is is at:

Ammunition to go,...

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.p...ammo-click-here

500 rounds of Barnaul .223 62gr = $132

500 rounds of Barnaul 7.62 x 39 123gr = $114

both are respectable rounds.

The hole left by a 7.62 x 39 is 2 times bigger

the lead is almost exactly twice as much.

So,... is it going to be and accurate, small tooth pick sized round?

or a larger slim jim size round that may not be as accurate in the 125 to 200 yard range but is at 100 yards and closer?

I pick 7.62 x 39 any day of the week.

If you want a tack driver,..... well,..get something else

Some .223's can be adjusted to shoot .22lr, which is nice,.. but why? if you want to know your rifle ,.. shoot it for what it's made for.

Reloading,... well your Saiga F^cks up the casing so an AR might do better there.

:dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar:

7.62 any day!!!

I did the Spray and Pray almost daily for over 12 months in SE Asia w/223. There was a Gov. study that said something like 50,000 rounds were fired for each Kill!!

I never like such a small cal bullet! Still don't, I carry a 1911 .

I did the research

and I did find cheaper 7.62 x 39 ammo, all the way around.

I also found it in a lot of places, like places that have .223 ammo.

It's not always cheaper in every place, but is is at:

Ammunition to go,...

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.p...ammo-click-here

500 rounds of Barnaul .223 62gr = $132

500 rounds of Barnaul 7.62 x 39 123gr = $114

both are respectable rounds.

The hole left by a 7.62 x 39 is 2 times bigger

the lead is almost exactly twice as much.

So,... is it going to be and accurate, small tooth pick sized round?

or a larger slim jim size round that may not be as accurate in the 125 to 200 yard range but is at 100 yards and closer?

I pick 7.62 x 39 any day of the week.

If you want a tack driver,..... well,..get something else

Some .223's can be adjusted to shoot .22lr, which is nice,.. but why? if you want to know your rifle ,.. shoot it for what it's made for.

Reloading,... well your Saiga F^cks up the casing so an AR might do better there.

:dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar:

Very simple. I've seen what an AK does to a body (7.62x36) and what a M16A4/M4 does (5.56). Believe me there is no comparison. We had to wear the E-sappies (enhanced sappies) just because of the 7.62 round. Yes the round drops out of supersonic faster leading to lower accuracy but if you're getting past the 200M range you need to be pulling out a good bolt action anyway. Yes I did qualify with my M16 with open sites at 500M but the round at that range still isn't enough to fear.

I've seen a man take 3 (5.56) rounds and keep coming. One round from a (7.62) and I promise you they are at least sitting on there backside.

Just my opinion from my experiences.

I have a 5.56x45 and a 7.62x39; I must say that they both have their pros and cons. The 5.56 is a lot more accurate in terms of tight groups and distance. There are also a whole lot of different loads available and manufactures that make this all American caliber. You can find this ammunition practically anywhere here in America. The 7.62x39 is a harder hitting round and it is basically a heavier grain than the 5.56x45. In order to achieve nice groups with the 7.62x39; I would say from personal experience that higher quality ammo always works for me (Brass). The options are not as wide as the 5.56x45 in most stores like Gander or Wolly World. Cheaper Than Dirt carries a lot of loads for both calibers, but you have to pay for it online and the shipping costs usually end up costing more or just as much as buying it at your local gun store. I like both calibers in this particular rifle, but if accuracy and availability is important to you, then I would go with the 5.56x45 or .223 over the 7.62x39.

The main question is what do you plan to do with the rifle you purchase? Will you use it for home defense, target shooting, hunting or will it be a back up for a

WTSHTF situation like Katrina?

I hope this was helpful!

Get the 7.62x39 first.

1) better penetration

2) cheaper ammo

3) convert and buy all the cool and cheap AK mags you want

4) inaccuracy is highly over rated. 7.62x39 has same ballistics as 30-30, but no one makes this claim with the 30-30. put a red dot on it and hit anything under 200 yds.

5) if you decide you like the platform, and enjoyed the conversion process, then get the other calibers.