Anybody Not Convert Their Saiga?

I've seen a lot of talk about coversions, and it seems like most people go ahead and do so.

But if I just want to have a rifle without a handgun grip and using the stock Saiga magazines, couldn't I just leave it alone?

Like you, i like the sporter config on my .223 but wanted to use hi-cap mags....BRG3 was able to set me up with some US made wood furniture still in sporter config, and a modified US made tapco trigger group to replace the standard sporter triger group.

I've got it all together at last - wood is still unfinished, but it looks nice and is 922r compliant now....so can legally slap those hi caps in there.....Up unitl now i've only shot with my factory 10 rd mags.....should be fun next time i get to the range to open up a with the 30 rounders.

....was not a cheap process, but it is nice looking and legal...so i'm happy.

RangerM9 - by chance do you have any pictures of what your gun looks like, as it sounds exactly as what I'd want to do (the looks of the 308 w/ the wood but firing the .223).

indeed i do....

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

BRG3....you finally get to see your handywork installed on my gun!.....i have yet to stain and finish them, but they fit real nice and look good to me already!

:up:

RangerM9 - by chance do you have any pictures of what your gun looks like, as it sounds exactly as what I'd want to do (the looks of the 308 w/ the wood but firing the .223).

BRG3....you finally get to see your handywork installed on my gun!.....i have yet to stain and finish them, but they fit real nice and look good to me already!

:up:

Sweeet! I am (more-or-less) patiently awaiting much the same hardware from BRG3! Loverly!

Bill

The gun looks really nice with the wood.

(Edited to add I saw your post about the changes to the trigger group to make it compliant and to use the high-cap mags).

I've sent an email to BRG3 with further questions.

Edited by D-Man
I've seen a lot of talk about coversions, and it seems like most people go ahead and do so.

But if I just want to have a rifle without a handgun grip and using the stock Saiga magazines, couldn't I just leave it alone?

D-Man,

Mine is all stock. I purchased an extra mag and I am good to go. The original stock configuration lends better to using a scope on a short AK carbine.

Many people do it IMHO just for the "kewlness" factor.

To me it seems cheaper to just buy a Romanian AK if you want a Ramboistic EBR.

Most military style commercial Romanian AKs are cheaper than the Saiga right out of the box even before you spend the money and hastle of having a Saiga converted. So I do not see the point of doing it. A few years ago this made sense since Saigas were cheaper than the Romies but that is not the case now.

Just my opinion.

I just shoot with my Saiga. I have no plans to convert it at all.

I wish my club would thaw out so I can get back to shooting.

RANGER?? Is that maple?? That wood looks nice.

Walnut!....BR did a great job on this, just needs some final touches to fit my hand perfect, then staining and seval coats of finish.....

Should be quite nice when all done.

D-Man,

Mine is all stock. I purchased an extra mag and I am good to go. The original stock configuration lends better to using a scope on a short AK carbine.

Most military style commercial Romanian AKs are cheaper than the Saiga right out of the box even before you spend the money and hastle of having a Saiga converted. So I do not see the point of doing it. A few years ago this made sense since Saigas were cheaper than the Romies but that is not the case now.

Just my opinion.

Kewl or not the Russian AKs are far better quality than the Romy ones. That is the point...

Excellent pics, RM9! I'm always honored to see the final project people use my styles of furniture on.

Hard maple and curly maple are sure options, curly maple I'd have to check on from my old source. Other curly woods may be an option. I'm a fan of the straight grains myself.

There is also the 'trigger pull' factor to consider - as well as the cheap (or 'high capacity') magazine factor. Both of which are priority items - don't you agree?

;>)

Are you talking 7.62, or 2.23? And (FWIW) some of the companies producing 'Romanian AKs' for sale in this country seem to use a lot less care in their production, than I do (or other builders do), when assembling their own rifles (or converting Saigas). Plus, having seen both types, I would suggest that some Romy parts are not manufactured to the same quality control standards as are Russian parts. Obviously, your mileage may vary...

Just my opinion.

Care to quote some prices? It wasn't too long ago that you could purchase a 'brand-spanking-new' .223 Saiga, shipped, for less than $250. FWIW, I've never seen a Romy 'AK' advertosed for less than $300 (and thats for the 7.62 version, not a .223 AK-type self-loading rifle). Plus (IMHO), the Russian workmanship is superior to the Romanian - and to most home-built rifles.

Plus - and I wish I didn't have to mention it - some imported .223 AKs (NOT Saigas, as far as I have ever heard) have "quality-control problems."

In my opinion, if you want a reliable .223 AK, and don't want to waste your money on 'purchase price' or 'repairs,' just go with the Saiga. Whether or not you convert it, you get a supremely reliable firearm, at a bargain-basement price...

I do not have a Saiga yet but when I get one (or three) it will remain in stock formation. I may get a trigger job and the peep sights look like they would be handy but other than that it would stay in a sprter config.

I have no interest in high-caps or pistol grips or any of that stuff. In fact since I am in a state that requires autos have mags of 5 rds or less I would actuall get low cap mags.

I do not have a Saiga yet but when I get one (or three) it will remain in stock formation. I may get a trigger job and the peep sights look like they would be handy but other than that it would stay in a sprter config.

I have no interest in high-caps or pistol grips or any of that stuff. In fact since I am in a state that requires autos have mags of 5 rds or less I would actuall get low cap mags.

I used to live in a State like that - more power to you, Compadre! Hang in there, and keep at it!

;>)

all of my saigas are still stock. always thought they would be worth more someday with them in original configuration. who knows.

i'm damn tempted to convert my 308 though. i have a buddy that is dead set that he can't get a pistol gripped 308 fun gun for under $1000. if i converted my 308 and got a hi cap mag i would only have $400 into it.

i tried to explain that but guess he is a "seeing is believing" person.

D-Man,

Just my opinion.

Kewl or not the Russian AKs are far better quality than the Romy ones. That is the point...

Well I own both and do not really see much difference.

For the price of a Saiga and the hasstle and price of a conversion (not to mention the risk involved), I would suggest a Vepre if you want a good quality AK type rifle. Better yet, get an AR. An AK is an AK to me.

That just the way I see it.

There is also the 'trigger pull' factor to consider - as well as the cheap (or 'high capacity') magazine factor. Both of which are priority items - don't you agree?

;>)

Are you talking 7.62, or 2.23? And (FWIW) some of the companies producing 'Romanian AKs' for sale in this country seem to use a lot less care in their production, than I do (or other builders do), when assembling their own rifles (or converting Saigas). Plus, having seen both types, I would suggest that some Romy parts are not manufactured to the same quality control standards as are Russian parts. Obviously, your mileage may vary...

Just my opinion.

Care to quote some prices? It wasn't too long ago that you could purchase a 'brand-spanking-new' .223 Saiga, shipped, for less than $250. FWIW, I've never seen a Romy 'AK' advertosed for less than $300 (and thats for the 7.62 version, not a .223 AK-type self-loading rifle). Plus (IMHO), the Russian workmanship is superior to the Romanian - and to most home-built rifles.

Plus - and I wish I didn't have to mention it - some imported .223 AKs (NOT Saigas, as far as I have ever heard) have "quality-control problems."

In my opinion, if you want a reliable .223 AK, and don't want to waste your money on 'purchase price' or 'repairs,' just go with the Saiga. Whether or not you convert it, you get a supremely reliable firearm, at a bargain-basement price...

---------

What's wrong with the AK trigger? My SAR1 works fine and it's not even Russian made. Same with my PSL, triger is fine. Just as smooth if not better than my Saiga 223 trigger. In either case there are aftermarket triggers for all AKs that solve the now non-existant trigger slap. No need for a high dollar PG conversion on a Saiga just for that.

Yes, you can argue that custom builds are better quality, but if you read through all the "my conversion does not work" type postings here you can see that some people wind up taking a perfectly functional Saiga and wind up with a non-working or semi-working conversion. All you have to do is read through some of this forum to know what I mean. I see some converted Saigas in local pawn shops in my area for that reason I would gather.

As far as exact prices go, google, AIM, Century and SOG are your friend. I will not do your homework for you.

You can buy a Rommy AK of various calibers for around $200. Show me how much a Saiga 223 would cost right now with a so called "professional" conversion into a rambo rifle.

I think I made my point.

all of my saigas are still stock. always thought they would be worth more someday with them in original configuration. who knows.

i'm damn tempted to convert my 308 though. i have a buddy that is dead set that he can't get a pistol gripped 308 fun gun for under $1000. if i converted my 308 and got a hi cap mag i would only have $400 into it.

i tried to explain that but guess he is a "seeing is believing" person.

$1000?? Waaaat?

Tell your buddy to look for an aftermarket CETME like mine in my Sig Photo.

Should not run him over $500. $600-$700 at most.

I have 4 stock Saigas. No plans to convert. They all shoot well enough. For the AK look I picked up a Arsenal SAM 7S a few years ago. It's build quality is excellent but not much more for your money in the accuracy department and that's really what counts. The Saiga's are just wolves in sheeps clothes. Nice as they come.

Edited by aka108

I just got a .223 that is stock. But I just received the mount, rings, and scope, if you're going to call that a mod. I can't help it. My tired old eyes can't seem to focus on the sights and the target at the same time.

I just got a .223 that is stock. But I just received the mount, rings, and scope, if you're going to call that a mod. I can't help it. My tired old eyes can't seem to focus on the sights and the target at the same time.

I put a scope on mine, cause I just really hate the iron sites on it. I was a big PAIN trying to get everything lined up and make sure I was looking at them right.............

D-Man,

Just my opinion.

Where can I gt that great looking furniture and how much $$$$

It may depend on where somebody lives and the laws there.The 308 Saiga's don't have all the extra pins and trigger parts.I think this makes for a better system from the start.I think maybe because the 7.62x39 and 223 receiver have large capacity magwells(even w/o bullet guides)they may require the extra axis pins to be importable.This wasn't required on the 308 receivers.