Any else not able to edit old posts?

As in when you look back at your previous posts, there's no EDIT button?

I've found when I make a new post I can edit that one, but when I make another new one, that previous one is no longer able to be edited. Or any others for that matter.

GunHustler... no worries about the atlantic post.. it all turned out fine ! :up:

As far as editing.. I can do that... but I have the mod powers, too... so thats why I can see the edit button.. I dunno why you all cant.. I would email or PM Makc and ask him.. maybe something got messed up or something?!?!!?

:smoke:

I just posted some pics and it wouldn't let me edit right after I posted to rearrange the pictures. ??? :unsure: I thought I was doing something wrong but it tells me I do not have permission to edit my own post. I haven't been active in a couple of months so I just thought it was something new. Never had any problems b4.

it was decided by the boss, actually, upon looking at certain incidents, and the number of edits per user, that the edit function will be useable on posts for up to 20 minutes or so. the theory is that it will still allow people to say what they have to say, and go back and still correct errors, but will not allow people to packpeddle out of an arguement, which has been done a lot of times, and caused a few problems. we have all discussed it since then, and are still tossing the idea around between us some more.

it was decided by the boss, actually, upon looking at certain incidents, and the number of edits per user, that the edit function will be useable on posts for up to 20 minutes or so. the theory is that it will still allow people to say what they have to say, and go back and still correct errors, but will not allow people to packpeddle out of an arguement, which has been done a lot of times, and caused a few problems. we have all discussed it since then, and are still tossing the idea around between us some more.

So how should we mark our stuff as sold, found or traded? I've been repling to my own post to do so, but it just adds an unnecessary BTT.

that is EXACTLY the issue we are working on right now, actually. I will make sure that we all discuss it TODAY and decide on exactly how to proceed with the eidt function. I need to call the boss up and talk to him about a couple other things later, so I will see what he has to say about the for sale section and editing posts. as it stood yesterday, he was unsure if he COULD allow edits in the for sale section, and not in the other sections of the forum.

Would be a plus for me. I had a bunch of editing to do yet on my for-sale page.

Kinda got caught in the middle of setting it up... :unsure:

I just donated more $$ - does that grease the wheels any??? :angel:

I don't like this system. We should be able to edit our posts as needed.

I agree, if nothing else from the standpoint of editing spelling and adding info or pix later, never mind the issues raised in the for sale section.

I suspected that was why, but I believe the detriments will ultimately be worse than the original problem.

Post editing is a crucial feature for keeping posts up to date without unnecessary bumping. Also there are some informational threads that need to be closed for simplicity but edited by the original posters.

Using the editing feature for backpedalling out of inflammatory arguements is done by the vast manority. Those few would be better treated by administrative action, ie thread deletion or closing, or even banning, than by having everybody's editing ability revoked.

Removing the editing feature was one of the changes made by Gunsnet that caused its biggest exodus of members. It is one of those features that makes a forum uncompetitive not to have. Not only to the membership, but also makes life harder for regular moderators who have to edit posts when members can't. For example, when I posted anything for sale on gunsnet I had to ask a moderator to pull the ad, because a BTT just to announce it was no longer available would be pretty silly.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
I suspected that was why, but I believe the detriments will ultimately be worse than the original problem.

Post editing is a crucial feature for keeping posts up to date without unnecessary bumping. Also there are some informational threads that need to be closed for simplicity but edited by the original posters.

Using the editing feature for backpedalling out of inflammatory arguements is done by the vast manority. Those few would be better treated by administrative action, ie thread deletion or closing, or even banning, than by having everybody's editing ability revoked.

Removing the editing feature was one of the changes made by Gunsnet that caused its biggest exodus of members. It is one of those features that makes a forum uncompetitive not to have. Not only to the membership, but also makes life harder for regular moderators who have to edit posts when members can't. For example, when I posted anything for sale on gunsnet I had to ask a moderator to pull the ad, because a BTT just to announce it was no longer available would be pretty silly.

If someone says something offensive and the offended party fears they will edit it later, all they have to do is quote to offending post in a reply. If the post is edited before the offended party sees it... all the better, no?

Edited by DaGroaner
If someone says something offensive and the offended party fears they will edit it later, all they have to do is quote to offending post in a reply. If the post is edited before the offended party sees it... all the better, no?
Exactly! I made an offensive post earlier today, myself. By the time I realized my stupidity the dang board wouldn't let me edit it out before the person my stupidity was directed towards saw it.

Fortunately for me, the poster was a bigger man than me, and graciously accepted my apology.