Saiga .308-2 Coming to America?

I was probably 2 weeks away from purchasing a Saiga .308 21" barrel version and having it legally and professionally converted by moving the trigger group forward and putting a thumbhole stock on it.... Then, on accident, I stumbled accross this:

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_308v21.htm

I registered for the site today just to post this information..... The Saiga .308-2 . . . American Version (.308 Ver.21) Coming in FALL 2007!!!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes.... the .308-2, imported? No costly reconfiguration? No worry about whether the workmanship was reliable? A STOCK, FACTORY, PISTOL/THUMBHOLE GRIP CONVERSION!!!!!!!! Well, needless to say, I'm now at the top of the waiting list at a few of the Russian American Armory Distributors. I want one, I need one.... oh baby, oh baby.

Now I just have to stick a Druganov look-alike stock on the back and fit it with some USA Scope Mount/scope and i'll be set to Jet. And alot cheaper than the conversions I had priced..... Now let's hope that These .308's are around the same price as their non-thumbhole brethren.... Anyway, Happy Hunting!

Looks good, but you can buy a drag style stock for $50 and a g2 trigger for $30.

Me thinks that given the latest spurt of price increases you'd be better off to build it yourself at today's rate instead of paying top dollar for a hard to find variant later. Given that fall 2007 probably means spring of 2008, that's more time for the senate to work on making it illegal.

Converting is no big deal to do it yourself.

OUTSTANDING, ive been waiting on this now if they will only get some in a 16 inch i would be set for life or at least until the next income tax check LoL i wander if it will have a better trigger (hope) and any1 have any idea how much they will be?

Edited by Cryptkeeper
Thats the same receiver as your 30-06 used to have, SN.

Just checked out RAA's site and they are also releasing a 30.06. Saiga-100 Looks different though. More like a typical semi-auto shotgun receiver. Go to the like above and then click rifle. Looks like we will need to add another rifle topic soon.

The 30.06 Saiga 100 isn't new, is it? Doesn't someone like Dinzag or BRG3 have one?

I don't know. I have never seen or heard of them before but that doesn't mean much. I don't follow the rifles much.

The 30.06 Saiga 100 isn't new, is it? Doesn't someone like Dinzag or BRG3 have one?

I don't know. I have never seen or heard of them before but that doesn't mean much. I don't follow the rifles much.

Your loss. :P

Yes, the 30-06s are here. They have an angle-cut receiver and a tang-less rear trunion, offering a superior trigger to the other unconverted Saigas. The downside - they have a lot of other stuff different too, if that matters to you. A conversion would be a huge deal. Tony did one in full AK config and the work was tremendous, so he indicated that he wouldn't do any more.

This is mine. Never seen another wooden set for one anywhere in the world. (Course I haven't gone personally looking in Russia.)

post-6-1171741244_thumb.jpg

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14801

Man, you really do some beautiful work! I have been drooling over your wood ever since I first came to this forum. :unsure: (Ok, that's just wrong)

I hope I can get you to make a set for my converted S-308 one of these days!

If I were interested in stock furniture... I'd definitely go for the new version. If I was going to convert... I'd stick with the old style. The cut receiver and - most likely - more expensive price just don't make it worthwhile for a conversion. I mean... you'll never be able to use 99% of the AK stocks without more welding than what the old style conversion needs.

The Saiga 308 Version-21 is coming in the fall of this year. Should be here in September or October. It will retail below 500 dollars. That is as long as the russian price does not change. There is an initial supply of only 200 rifles. They will come in the long barrel length only. That is the only way they are made. This is the only information I have been able to obtain so far.

I believe it's still stamped. Actually the only angle cut milled receiver I've ever heard of is the Valmet, and consequently the Norinco hunter.

Well, folks. I think I have an answer to this. In Russia, this is called "Saiga M"

Saiga-M" - the modernized version of "Saiga" carbines having the following changes: the heavier receiver, elongated barrel (555 mm=21.8 inches), bolt with three locking lugs;

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saigam.shtml

It does NOT have a milled receiver. However, it DOES have "Heavier" receiver. I presume that this will be pretty much Vepr Rifle = RPK, 1.6mm receiver.

I hope that my guess is correct. I am more interested in having it in 5.56x45 then in 7.62x51. Hell, I would LOVE to have those BOTH:-)

I believe it's still stamped. Actually the only angle cut milled receiver I've ever heard of is the Valmet, and consequently the Norinco hunter.

Well, folks. I think I have an answer to this. In Russia, this is called "Saiga M"

Saiga-M" - the modernized version of "Saiga" carbines having the following changes: the heavier receiver, elongated barrel (555 mm=21.8 inches), bolt with three locking lugs;

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saigam.shtml

It does NOT have a milled receiver. However, it DOES have "Heavier" receiver. I presume that this will be pretty much Vepr Rifle = RPK, 1.6mm receiver.

I hope that my guess is correct. I am more interested in having it in 5.56x45 then in 7.62x51. Hell, I would LOVE to have those BOTH:-)

It would be nice, but I think Saiga-M's are only 7.62x39 and .223. The .308 is a Saiga .308-2 ( see http://club.guns.ru/eng/sig308.htm )

On a Side note, I wish they'd start Importing http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/tigr_h.shtml

Edited by SaigaNoobie

whoa!

ya'll don't jump to any conclusions about the angle of the receiver just yet.

remember, alot of your "butt-hole" stocks are angle cut on the sides and wrap around the receiver giving it the illusion that the receiver is cut at an angle.

post-987-1185410925_thumb.jpg

post-987-1185410934_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

UPDATE (And Thread Bump)

Just talked to RAAC. He told me they're "On the Water Now" so they'll be in the country in a few days then through customs. He said Mid September. The two distributors of RAAC that will "DEFINITELY" be getting some are RSR and Gilbert's Guns. Only 200 are coming in. $450-500 Estimated Price. . . .

I'm going to get one. Hopefully I can just drop-in a new trigger group and add US furniture. I want to be able to return it to stock.... I may not even convert the bad boy. Put a Bi-pod & Scope on it and go AS-IS. Hi-cap never really appealed to me anyway... 8 rds is plenty for this boy since I'm used to 5rd Mosins. Besides, I hope I'll only need 1 shot to do the job.

When I get mine, I'll post pics with all the juicy details of rear-stock attachment, Range-report, mm thickness of receiver etc.

Edited by SaigaNoobie
As my name implies, i'm a saiga noob, so what are you talking about in regards to the same 30-06 reciever? Elaborate please, I don't follow you :)

Weren't you the guy that bought that converted 30-06 from Tony? This gun has the same receiver configuration as that one.

If I'm mistaken about your identity, pardon me.

Nope, I'm not the one. I don't own a Saiga yet. The .308-21 will be my first. I'm looking into purchasing a .223 or x39 to go with the .308... maybe a .410 or s-12.... I need a second saiga which will be a conversion project, but I think i'll keep the .308-21 in stock config (Add scope and Bipod). Make the guys at the local range jealous that I have a factory Thumbhole Saiga. One of 200 is more rare than Russian Tigrs in US. Although it's not as cool....

Bipods and Scopes don't make a rifle "Unsporting" and require parts counts do they? Doesn't that only come into play when we change the configuration of a rifle (sporter to p-grip or Thread the barrel or add Hi-caps) ??

I hope when you say "only 200 are coming in" you mean in the first shipment.... I gotta get one of those

They only have 200 coming in the first shipment.... but after it was announced that Izshmas is selling 5000 new SVD's to Hugo Chavez, I'm worried that some political pressure group will ban importation of Izshmas weapons to pressure them into not supplying Chavez. Will that happen? Probably not, but I wouldn't bet my life on it....