I was on another AK Forum and found a link to this company.

http://www.blackthorneproducts.com/

If you go to the photo gallery on the site, they have some Saiga 7.62x39's that they show with some of the parts that they sell and I've seen people looking for this type of thing so I thought I'd post it.

post-2307-1185647712_thumb.jpg

post-2307-1185647720_thumb.jpg

Edited by Displaced Yankee

That's a nice rear sight. It sure beats the open sights in target acquisition and is easier on my aging eyes. I always like the aperture sights over open sights and I had a peep sight installed on my 10/22 rifle as well.

Is that an Israeli FN-FAL handguard over the Saiga handguard?

my dust cover sights hold zero perfectly.

good enough for this!

not counting the 7th round flyer the group measures 3/4 inch at 50 yards. now keep in mind that only reason why POI changed was b/c rifle had to be pumped every shot. if it wasn't for that they would all be touching!

post-987-1186194893_thumb.jpg

the DC has to lock on very well which mine just so happen to do.

I was on another AK Forum and found a link to this company.

http://www.blackthorneproducts.com/

If you go to the photo gallery on the site, they have some Saiga 7.62x39's that they show with some of the parts that they sell and I've seen people looking for this type of thing so I thought I'd post it.

Hello, Displaced Yankee

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure it will work, but I ordered the HK sight mounted to the rail on the AK dustcover. I'm hoping to be able to move the assembly to my S12 dustcover. The sight you posted a pic of is described as TIG welded on, sounds pretty permanent. I'm hoping to just un-bolt the one I ordered. and bolt it to my S12 dustcover.

We'll see......

Thanks,

guido2 in Houston

Yes the sights are made by hesse, second for truly receiver cover sights to work good

the receiver cover have to be reworked, Few saigas have come with a cover that sits

tight on the receiver and don't move at all, but must get loose after some use

or are loose to start with, on irons it may hold some zero but dont depend on it

in the words of Tony Rumore on how to fix any movement on receiver cover

if you want a truly working iron sigth on a cover.

You need to machine a small groove in the trunion on the bottom R/H side, then weld a forward protruding leg to the front lower corner of the top cover to fit in this groove. The weld up the back R/H bottom edge of the cover so it "twists" the cover back over to the left and holds it in a tensioned state.

All stock Saiga covers rock over on the R/H side.

Yes it takes work but hey if you want something to work all the time

you do it the way it supposed to be done, one thing I will say

on a .223 that I used to have the cover was tight no movement at all

side to side but that was one on hundreds don't count on your gun

to be the same.

One thing, anything can be made to work on any gun, but all depends on

the guy doing the work on the gun, like one point he worked that home made sight

really good I will say, but no all people have the know how to do stuff

or work problems on parts on guns to make them work ok.

Hey greatmoose nice looking fall look a like Saiga, how the ACE front sight is doing

and the Fal Flash hider looks cool on the end of the barrel too, the gun came out looking really nice

especially the fal hand guard look really good on that pic.

My 2 cents of nothing

True enough not everyone is mechanically adept enough to build one and make it work right. But its a pretty straight forward, if a person can do what it takes to build it, I would expect they can tweak the cover to make it tight.

On both my 223s, the covers are tight tight, and the covers I sued to mount the sights on were actually Chinese smooth ones. These have been repeatable for zero for the ranges I use them, its not a match rifle and using steel cased ammo it works out fine. I have lost count of round under it, but its 2+ years old now. I toyed with mounting it on a hinge up front, but it has worked well enough I haven't so far. Bottom line is I shoot better with these sights than the stock ones, in any conditions.

Maybe if these issues are major concerns, then money would best invested in a Krebs rail and sight, or different rifle altogether.

Edited by Onepoint
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys and especially you TW- since I have a PAR1 and 3 and live in the pOS PRK also- anyone know if you can use a PK-AS black/red dot sight mounted on the stock side rail, with any of these sights or will they hit it? I HATE the welded on rear top cover stock sight on the PAR's have no idea WHY the romainians did not install the normal AK rear sights on these rifles... thanks in advance....I need a better rear sight- ghost ring or peep. Do not want to start pressing off all the crap.