Saiga 308 30 round mag?

Wanted to share a crazy idea from high altitude. The thin air of the wasatch got me thinking that you could put together a 30 round 308 mag with a 20 round body and a factory 8 round mag. You just need to weld the mags together. Need to use an AGP 10 round 12 Gauge spring instead. Also cut the 8 round body's follower slots to the top of the mag-this would be the bottom mag of the two bodies. You already have the rest of the internals, follower, retainer, base plate. The plastic welding would be the hard part.

I'm waiting on new parts to sacrifice to this experiment, so I dont have any results yet. May contact Dinzag at that point for the welding if possible.

The original idea came from Keith in KC who just cut the whole top of the 8 rounder off to the follower slots inside the mag and taped it together with black duct tape ala frankanmag conversions. He got 25 round capacity from this conversion.

Happy Shooting!

P.S. Field report from IRAQ, Workmates son in Army took three rounds from an AK and lived after IED shut down their convoy.

They fought off ambush with 24+ take downs from .308s that they carry. Second purple hart coming for both of them. They attribute their suvival to their firepower.

.308 is BOSS

I'm itching to make a FoTay myself outta two of the FBMG'ers.

Or a couple 30's out of 3 - 20's...

Note to all future mag designers, do what FBMG did and make the curvature of the inside and outside of the mags symmetric. The FBMG mags can be cut wherever as the inside & outside are the same top to bottom.

I think I hear the bandsaw calling!

Note to all future mag designers, do what FBMG did and make the curvature of the inside and outside of the mags symmetric. The FBMG mags can be cut wherever as the inside & outside are the same top to bottom.

Shit, I'd just be happy with buying a couple 20 rounders somewhere!!! :lolol:

Shit, I'd just be happy with buying a couple 20 rounders somewhere!!! :lolol:

Presto!!!!!!!!!!

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=18170

this could be done with the new liberty mags if a HK91 style spring could be found or made. all you would have to do is weld another steel hk mag on the bottom. but the cold hard facts are anything above 20rds is to big to get you low to the ground, and that is where you want to be if someone is shooting at you :)

this could be done with the new liberty mags if a HK91 style spring could be found or made. all you would have to do is weld another steel hk mag on the bottom. but the cold hard facts are anything above 20rds is to big to get you low to the ground, and that is where you want to be if someone is shooting at you :)

You are correct, Brian. I'd rather have two 20-rounders linked together and take 5 seconds to switch while staying low.

Maybe you could modify one of the 30 round G3 magazines?

Can you customize the G3 30rd mags as well?

Maybe you could modify one of the 30 round G3 magazines?

• 1 month later...
I'd love to have a 100 rd Beta C mag- but here in the people's republik of MD we are limited to 20 rds.

You might want to check that out further. The way I understand the Maryland law is you may possess, but they are not for sale in that state.I have a friend who buys them in West Virginia then returns to Maryland. He says it is legal.

EX:

Rifle/pistol magazines:

You cannot sell, offer to sell, trade, give away, or purchase, offer to purchase, offer to give, any magazine with a capacity of OVER 20 rounds, inside the state, or have sent into the state from a supplier outside of the state.

HOWEVER, the law says nothing about buying (in person) outside of the state and carrying them back into the state.

Edited by gunnysmith
Here you go - a couple 30 rounders... :smoke:

post-2093-1192756547_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1192756582_thumb.jpg

Alright,it's official.You are the most twisted character here :D

So if I was going to order the mags and housings to have you build these for me would I buy one complete magazine and one magazine body,then order some AGP magazine springs?

Have you drop tested them yet or will you need a guinea pig to donate some parts?

I gotta have some of these now that I have seen them...

Total time they are not too bad to do, but they take a couple weeks due to my other commitments. Don't be in a hurry if you want them done right. I won't drop test them, just because the duracoat may get marred. I will say with 100% confidence I've never had any come apart on me or anyone else.

Springwise, sggrosso sent me some AGP springs for 'em. I would think those stout little puppies would push a 40 rounder. They are pretty rigid. If you have the regular FBMG springs, I think those were borrowed from the factory 8 rounders so I would piece 1 1/2 of those to get some extra force.

For these I turned 3 - 20's into 2 - 30's. You want a 40, you need to send 2 - 20's. Send me an email if you are wanting in.

Here's my dimensions for the do-it-yourselfers out there who are feeling crafty...

post-2093-1193049774_thumb.jpg

Those turned out awesome dinzag! :devil:

I will be doing the same with 2 of my 20's.

On second thought..two 30's sounds better than one 20 and one 40...

I'm glad I bought three mags! :super:

Yes, think two thirties clamped together for 60 rounds at hand. This is enough for a house clearing excercise in any urban/ TUWT or SHTF situation as long as you are not all alone. Of course I'll have twenties for the ground hugging activities as necessary.

Thanks guys, glad you like! :up: No I don't plan on offering them on the site. They'd run just over $110 each.

($45x3 mags + $80-$90 labor for 2 - 30's) Kinda steep for 10 more rounds.

That's why it's not worth the time to do the S-12 - 10's anymore. $35 + $35 + $40

Hmmm, I have 6 20s, but they all have feed problems that are either due to follower friction (lube didn't help) or weak springs. I wonder if I could use the AGP springs in them.

If not, guess I have a few mags that I could spare to make 2 30s.

Those mags I did for Steve were seriously tight inside. Almost to the point I did not want to mess with them. All mine are nice & free. The AGP springs he supplied with them even wouldn't push them. (they are 2x the force in a 20 rounder -vs- the russian 8 round springs) I loaded them up then stripped the rounds out manually. There was a slight delay for the follower to pop up when I got down to the last few rounds. I put a few drops of oil on the follower and went to the Pit. Never once malfunctioned and now it seems the follower is not as sticky.

The issue is the inside of the mag is warped in and gives the follower an interference fit. If your follower gets stuck, squeeze the mag body front to rear, the follower will pop up.

After what I seen from shooting them, I ordered 3 more mags. I need to make me a set of 30's.

I do have this unfinished pic, but wish I got a few after they were done...Maybe Steve can do us the deed.

post-2093-1193202484_thumb.jpg

Edited by dinzag
FYI-- There will be another company offering .308 Saiga mags , they will have them in 5 -10 -15 -20 & 25 rounders, we hope to start to see these in Dec approx

I hope to see them as well because the result will be positive and driving down the price will cause more of them to sell rather than hurt those already producing them.

If I could get a reliable 20rd mag for $1 per round of capacity I would buy dozens of them and probably buy a another S308 or two in various configurations to go with them :D

Let's see

Saiga 308 RPK with Laminated furniture

Saiga Sniper

Shorty Saiga AK(AK104 style)

Saiga based pistol from an S308 parts kit

They all sound good until you look at $450 for each one to have a minimum of 10 magazines :P

but make those magazines more plentiful and cost effective and I'd have to switch over to the S308 as my primary rifle platform and buy a dozen magazines for each rifle;)