7.62-39 For hunting??

Guest Guest_saigahunter305

Guest Guest_saigahunter305

Is the 7.62 round capable of hunting for whitetail deer and has anyone used this round for hunting whitetails and if so can you tell me how effective or not this round was for that purpose. Thanks.

the 7.62 X 39 round is almost exactly like the 30/30 round. I think a well placed shot will easily take a deer. Not elk though. might be too smalll for elk. elk 'round here easily get 1000 pounds. Tasty animals!!!!! season's almost here. I can't wait 'till the meat starts filterin' in!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunt pig and deer with it, use soft points or hollow points, 100 meters ( 120 yards )

good range for it , and all depends were you it the animal, well put hit and they go

down, by the way cabelas have wolf on copper jaket better mushrooming of

bullet , bymetals are kind of hard on flesh less mushrooming.

The cabelas copper jakets wolf just cost 2 dollars more for 500 than the bymetals

when you llook at the page make shure you get the coppers and if you order make shure and make it clear that you want the cooper jakets if not , they will send you

bymetals and you can't return ammo.

In any case bymetals will do the work to .

And like siagalova say is like a 30/30 better aerodinamics but a littlebet less

pounds of pressure for square inch.

By the way if you get a hit but, it takes off be prepare to fallow blood trail

Eh? What constitutes a "deer round"? Pre-conceived notions? I think the .30-30 has proven itself many decades over that it can take deer, with the 7.62x39 matching it almost identically in ballistics. That qualifies it enough for me. Low end rounds, in my opinion, start in the .243 range, which has also been proven as many hunters' first rifle.

Just remember, shot placement is more important than cartridge and be sure to use some form of expanding bullet.

Eh? What constitutes a "deer round"? Pre-conceived notions?

pretty much.

shot placement is important, but remember - you can drop a deer with 22lr with good placement, but i sure wouldn't reccomend using that.

i think it's better to use a larger round that has a little bit more shock to it. like i mentioned above, .270, or 30.06 are probably the most commonly used deer rounds. i like .270 with 130 grain core-lokt rounds. if you want to use a saiga, the 308 would do great.

i think the 7.62 would make a good little hog gun.

7.62-39 is plenty adeqate for white tail. 30-06,.308,7.62-39 almost exact same bullet -only difference is amount of powder in case(case length). Therefore 30-06 at 400 yard=.308 at 300 yard=7.62-39at 200 yard (not EXACT but close enough for governtment work!) Use the proper tool for the job! It is perfectly OK to use a round that is capable of longer range, but NOT one that is better suited for SHORTER ranges! That said-most eastern white tail will be taken at less than 200 yard, and AK/saiga is excellent brush gun.

Remember,if you were to shoot all three of these rounds parallel to the ground(or any other round )they would hit the ground at the SAME time as a bullet that was DROPPED! The difference is the distance covered in that time! The energy that the bullet will impart to the target/game will be the mass x velocity squared (a little simplistic but again-close enough for government work!) The mass and velocity of a 7.62-39 at 200yard being roughfly equal to a 30-06 at 400 yard.

All of this is to lay the groundwork for this question. If all of your hunting is at 200 yard or less do you NEED a round that has more than 7.62-39 unless you are hunting at 300 or 400 yard?

G O B

where do you guys hunt hog from? they are introducing turkey here - I wouldn't hunt them with a saiga rifle.

I'd go hog hunting every season!!!!!

they hunt elk here with a bow, for like six weeks. that doesn't seem very humane. they go in packs and spend most of the day tracking! they have to get really close. one hits the elk, and they use radios to track. these guys get one every year.

bear tags get sold here too. in oregon the city people voted out using dogs. the Washington guys tell stories of how the bear will climb down from the tree and charge you!!! I'd definatly use a semi-rifle. bear meat is really good!!!

yeah we arent suposed to use hi caps for hunting but bear hunting would seem feasible for your safety...i'd rather have an ak with a 30 round clip for hunting bear than a bolt action 30-06 incase that bear was a tough mofo and i had to drop him cuz he was charging at me......deer i can understand but hmm laws are funny sometimes

• 4 weeks later...

Siagalova, I have 3 friends who hunt with the 7.62x39, one with an AK and the other s with SKS'. I don't think any of them have ever lost a deer they had hit, of course they are good hunters and keep their shots within reasonable range. I hunt with a 30-30 myself and keep my shots down to 150 yds or less, with the 7.62 that should be a good range maybe even 200 yds.

Chips, 270 and 30-06 are Elk rounds, although alot of people use them for deer.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that using a larger round being better is a preconceived ignorance with most shooters. I have personally shot deer with the 7.62x39 and actually had them drop instantly or sooner after then deer shot with 30-06 or 30-30's(same shot placement as well). I have a chinese sks and I love it. It's the reason I want a saiga(dont own one yet). My gf's dad says that .243 and .270 will son be the only small caliber hunting rounds available(he's a dumb/ignorant mofo), and that 7.62x39(54) are to impractical. He however has no knowledge of ballistics, and doesn't think hand loading is practical.

Sadly I think most gun owners and even shop owners are ignorant of what truly goes on in the gun world and what is fact. I even had to assert to my local FFL that I (being 20) could purchase my Saiga .308 and not have to be 21 y/o. I swear... you should also hear the stuff people think the AWB covered, coming from actual gun owners of all people! One guy thought that it meant the guns could now have cuts for DIAS...

Sadly people are stupid because they want to be. I was told by one hunter who I work with that a 308 would not kill deer. Nothing short of a 7 mag would work, and he prefered a 338 win mag. I guess he likes eating hamburger.

Our season opens Saturday, and since I'll be hunting in tight cover I think I'll take my AK. I'll let everone know how it comes out.

Especially for Saigalova. About hogs, I hunt them all the time here in Arkansas. I also trap them when I can since they taste far better after you feed them out for a while. I have five going now and just spent an hour wrestling/chaseing one through the mud after it managed to get into the wrong pen.

The hogs we have are hybreds, about 60 Russian boar were released here 4 years ago and with the Tyson Hog farms there are always domestic hogs being released.

• 2 weeks later...

Bear hunting with a high cap mag??? Your kidding me right?? You have to see what my 30-06 or my 338win.mag. with one well placed shot does to these bears. I take them right off their feet in the air and slam them down one round!!!! With any gun its a well placed first shot that matters. Its all about a good fast clean kill and don't make the animal suffer!!!! The 7.62x39 is good for up to deer sized animals but the 308 saiga would be a better all around gun. If i had my choice i would go with a yugo sks 7.62x39 and a saiga 308 thats under $400 for both if i was just starting out.

Bear hunting with a high cap mag??? Your kidding me right?? You have to see what my 30-06 or my 338win.mag. with one well placed shot does to these bears. I take them right off their feet in the air and slam them down one round!!!! With any gun its a well placed first shot that matters. Its all about a good fast clean kill and don't make the animal suffer!!!! The 7.62x39 is good for up to deer sized animals but the 308 saiga would be a better all around gun. If i had my choice i would go with a yugo sks 7.62x39 and a saiga 308 thats under $400 for both if i was just starting out.

ever seen a charging bear?

ever experienced having them charge AT YOU.. at close quarters??

I have.. and I'll never forget it for the rest of my life.

I had a bolt action .308... we were out for white tail.. I didn't have *time* to think about precise shot placement.

thank god my buddy had his Ruger super redhawk.. as it, it took several hits to bring him down.

there was a story within the last year, I'm not sure if completly true, but it goes as follows: guy is hunting deer in alaska when all the sudden he is charged by a grizzly. he shoots the bear like 5-7 times with a 7mm rem mag and drops it....he contacts the local dnr and cleans the bear, low and behold he finds human body parts still in the digestive tract. DNR comes out and they track the bear's previous movements, and they find the remains of 2 people that the bear had mauled within the last 24 to 48 hrs. the 2nd victim had a .38 special and shot the bear 6 times and still ended up as lunch. Once I heard that I decided that I would not want to go bear hunting unless I could take everything I have with me, I'm sorry but you wont find me on the ground facing a bear, bambi is different cause he cant mess me up as bad.....

• 1 month later...

After reading the posts, I believe it is better to use the soft points or hollow points in 7.62x39 rather than the FMJ. I am guessing because the FMJ doesn't expand in the animal. But, are the soft points and hollow points just as good plinking bullets for my Saiga? :angel:

• 3 weeks later...

FMJ is not legal in all states, I know for a fact that KY specifically requires expanding bullets for deer hunting. That said, why use FMJ if you have a choice? Expanding bullets offer much more wounding capacity and would be used for all anti-personal military applications if not for certain treaties.

Well it's already been said but hell yeah 7.62x39 is plenty for taking a whitetail. Especially here in the east where you rarely need or have the oportunity to shoot at anything over 50 yds much less 250 or more. That's the only time you would need a bigger round. There was a guy on ak.net that did a test and posted his results on bullet expansion a while back. He shot several different leading brands thru an AK into a plastic barrel of water. He tested Wolf, Barnaul, Winchester, Remington, and others, hollow and soft point, and determined that the Barnaul soft points had the best expansion as well as being as cheap to buy as anything out there. I went ahead and got a thousand rounds and that's all I shoot with now. I think it was about $90.

Anyone who does not believe a 7.62 round will take down a deer with one even reasonably placed shot should see what it does to a stack of three wet telephone books from 100 yds. :rolleyes:

You guys are going to like this! I live in Co. and even with all of our resources, I don't hunt. Honest, nothing against it, I just don't. I could say, draw for an elk tag at a fraction of what out-of-staters would pay, but I don't. Hell, I go with a buddy of mine sometimes and help him track in the high country(read cold and DEEP snow), but I don't hunt.

But now you got me wish'in we had some kind of high altitude wild hogs, then, i'd be a huntin'. Like Emeril says "it's a pork fat thing"! These damned deer/elk/antelope critters just don't have any fat on their bones to make 'em taste good.

Now bear does taste pretty damned good, ours are pretty small. Though I understand that one was shot as a nuisance(sp) about 6 yrs. ago that went about 800 pounds and would have been a state record if taken for sport. Still not enough to get me hunting.

Vern, what's that about Russian boar, I wonder if our state could get some of those :rolleyes:

And vjor, you sound like you could have been one of my neibhors in my home state of Louisiana. Florida hunters seem to have a lot in common! But you guys don't have neutria, they look like 60 pound rats, no kidding!

Most of the SE has some kind of wild pig. I hear Georgia is a good place. They released elk here in Kentucky a few years back, which are restricted to certain counties. If they wander into your view during deer seaon and you're not in one of their marked counties, you can take it on a deer license, no muss, no fuss.

Well, what can I say, I surely prefer females over males. Married twice, totaled the two don't go ten feet or two hundred pounds. Let it be known, in this lingo, I like piglets :rolleyes: So give me them young sows :wub:

With the obvious said, don't you just love knawing on a slow cooked, well seasoned, smoked rib, damned I do.

I've heard about the Texas javilina and the rest. It does seem to be the one critter that the idea of stalking and killing it gets the hair on the back side of my neck to stand up.

Just to show that I truly have no angst over hunting, as we speak(write?), I am just finishing a big ol' pot of elk/black bean chili, kinda, maybe, sorta, prepared in a Texas way. But please don't tell anyone, Coloradans don't do Texass things :angel:

It is OK if "Coloradans don't do Texass things" even if you don't want to admit that Taxas has a great deal to offer!

We also have a big problem here... ferral hogs! Domestic pigs that have been turned loose and run wild, tearing up farms and fences. Great for hunters that want to hunt yearround and on thier schedules! No limts, restrictions, or even proof of residenceand hunting liscense( with land owners concent). Shoot them, trap em, mass murder em, anyway you want. The 7.62x39 is plenty powerful for these critters!

They are good eating as well as plentiful!

Ok, just funnin' with Texans. There's that Co/TX rivalry thing. But then being from Louisiana, there's also some of that LA/TX thing :haha:

I think that you understand my view though. In a nut shell(pecan, then we have something in common!), feral hogs, do they taste good? What other question would a LA native ask?

Redneck joke about us: If you got a ditch, you got dinner!

The Tx vs. LA/CO thing just proves that we can all laugh about ourselves. Maybe we can organize an exchange program to send Texans to LA to and Louisianians to TX. We can hunt each others vermon, neutria and feral hogs.

If the hogs taste good that's great, but absoloutely, no matter what, you would ever, ever, catch me with a Neutria in MY smoker!!!

Actually, all joking aside, I like Texans, I just wish that their state didn't take a day and a half to traverse!

Edited by Kevsky