Does a new Saiga 12 need proper "break-in"

Do I need to do a proper "break-in" with a saiga or can I just start shooting and just clean it after? :mellow:

Some people say they needed to break theirs in before it cycles light birdshot loads good. The best way is to give it hell. Take some high brass out with you when you go. Remember your gas settings and make sure they are correct for your shell type. Most people seem are able to fire all round just as well on the high brass setting once it is broke in.

Do I need to do a proper "break-in" with a saiga or can I just start shooting and just clean it after? :mellow:

Some people say they needed to break theirs in before it cycles light birdshot loads good. The best way is to give it hell. Take some high brass out with you when you go. Remember your gas settings and make sure they are correct for your shell type. Most people seem are able to fire all round just as well on the high brass setting once it is broke in.

Ok but what is high brass? Just more brass on the base?

More powerful ammunition,

I have two S-12 in my house, one runs like a dream the other was a problem child, after a lot of shooting it is now a sewing machine! You may or may not need to shoot the crap out of it to get it broken in.

• Like 1

Ok but what is high brass? Just more brass on the base?

Topmaul is right with the "more powerful ammunition". You are correct as well, the easiest way to tell is the brass will be taller than you typically birdshot walmart special. Most slugs and buckshot are high brass. Also Topmaul is again correct in that you may or may not need to break yours in.

• Like 1

It NEVER hurts to clean it before shooting it.

I had a S-20 that I didn't take the factory "goo" off. It ran fine for a while, (500 rnds?). Then it started choking. I finally got past my "it's an ak, it never needs cleaning" mindset, popped it open and the factory goo + the carbon from ~750 shells had created quite a thick ooze. Cleaned and lubed and it never skipped a beat again.

In retrospect, I didn't even know the gas adjustment came out, and I never cleaned the gas piston or under the adjustment. That was likely where the problem built up, but a lubed gun was good enough to continue functioning. Glad I know a little more about them now ... :)

Edited by kmoore

Would think all the carbon build up, dirt, dust and grease, possible even cosmoline, would mess up the inside of your dishwasher good if you did that.. And not clean it so well either.. Besides, whats the fun in having a machine do it? Ripping a gun apart, cleaning it, then taking the next 3 hours smacking it back in place is 90% of the fun.

Would think all the carbon build up, dirt, dust and grease, possible even cosmoline, would mess up the inside of your dishwasher good if you did that.. And not clean it so well either.. Besides, whats the fun in having a machine do it? Ripping a gun apart, cleaning it, then taking the next 3 hours smacking it back in place is 90% of the fun.

Yep, shoot 200 rounds of 2 3/4 inch high brass slugs or buck, or heavy field shot (anything over 1300fps). Then clean the gas chamber and try #2 setting on some cheapo bird shot if you like. Your breakin should be done. Just don't ever lubricate your gas chamber, rod, or piston after cleaning. Some Saiga's shoot light bird loads, some don't. It was designed to cycle high power loads. As Kmoore pointed out, shotgun shells are much less consistet, dirtier, and the round itself will not be as repeatable as a rifle round through an AK rifle. This is because it is one of 500 flavors of plastic, non NATO standardized dimensions or powder/ballistic specifications. Find a few shotty shells that your Saiga likes and buy those. It will save you a lot of trouble and time and experimental shell money on the long run. If you are like the rest of us S-12 owners, you may want to consider buying cases of your favorite ammo, rather than a bunch of boxes of mismatch.

Edited by twinhairdryers
I just leave one stashed in the hot tub in case we are in there and someone walks up too sudden.... :haha:

I hope your careful playin footsie and grabass in there! :lolol::eek:

On the Insurance form...

"Reason for claim"

"Shotgun in the hot tub went off and put a hole in the window, not the sort of accidential dischage that usually happens in a hot tub"

• Like 1

Still missing out on the 3 hours of cursing, screaming and smacking a few bits of metal around until it all fits together..

Granted, the AK takes 3 seconds to field strip and rebuild.. But ever try messing with a roller delayed blowback like an HK 91 clone? Mine didn't come with a nice pretty manual or instructions.. so 2 hours of cursing at it until you find the one bit that needs to be out 1/2 an inch for it all to fit...

Hiding a S-12 in a hot tub while playing grabass sounds.. Almost fun, aslong as she knows exactly what gun shes grabbing for =P

But ever try messing with a roller delayed blowback like an HK 91 clone? Mine didn't come with a nice pretty manual or instructions.. so 2 hours of cursing at it until you find the one bit that needs to be out 1/2 an inch for it all to fit...

Oh yeah the learning curve on roller guns is one of the main setbacks of the design, you gotta know how your gun works or you will end up with a expensive club.

I'm still trying to figure out the Swiss K-31's bolt assemble and how it all works, might as well be a clock.

Hard to see but this is my saiga in my hot tub getting a cleaning. I'll try to get a better picture next time I clean it.

saigahottubqb5.th.jpg

LOL!

I have actually shot from the tub some :lolol:

Here's a pic of a guy hunting from his...post-1293-1191582566_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Still missing out on the 3 hours of cursing, screaming and smacking a few bits of metal around until it all fits together..

Granted, the AK takes 3 seconds to field strip and rebuild.. But ever try messing with a roller delayed blowback like an HK 91 clone? Mine didn't come with a nice pretty manual or instructions.. so 2 hours of cursing at it until you find the one bit that needs to be out 1/2 an inch for it all to fit...

Hiding a S-12 in a hot tub while playing grabass sounds.. Almost fun, aslong as she knows exactly what gun shes grabbing for =P

she is going to grab the one that is most impressive... are you sure you want to know which that is ;)

• Like 1

It took between 100 and 200 rounds of federal 1 ounce high velocity 1650fps slugs before my Saiga changed from "mostly works" to "runs like a champ". Afterwards the smoothness of the charging handle was readily apparent compared to before. It was like night and day.

It also left me with bruises because I did 130 rounds of Federal slugs and 40 of 3 inch magnum OO in 2 hours, but it was well worth it!

Edited by Bitbasher
  • Like 1

Uh oh...old thread necromancer....where's nalioth? lol

Three years ago some people thought the best thing to do was spend a lot of money on magnum ammo and beat your gun and your shoulder to death, to get a new gun to run good. Nowadays it's a lot smarter to just save some of that high powered ammo and bruising, and just get your bolt and carrier, and hammer re-contoured and polished. PM me for details if I can help. You can also take all that paint off the rails and inside the rail guides of bolt carrier, then polish those. It makes a huge difference and is better than beating yourself and your gun all to hell. It does the same thing really, by removing paint and other rough surfaces in high friction areas, only much better, because it's all done evenly and ends up smooth as butter.

That said...three years ago there were not as many S-12 lemons out there with insufficient gas flow, due to incorrectly drilled, undersized, or obstructed gas ports (or a combination of all three). First thing to do is check the ports. All the polishing or "breaking in" in the world won't make an under gassed gun run like it should.

• Like 2

Uh oh...old thread necromancer....where's nalioth? lol

Sorry..

I negged before I remembered I was trying to ignore you.

I didn't see any need for nalioth to be patronized out of the blue.

nalioth has done more than anyone here to keep people legal & out of trouble with the legal aspects of firearms ownership & should receive some respect, if not gratitude.

He's one of the most knowledgeable & helpful people about gun rights & laws that you'll ever come across not to mention, he'll donate his time FOR FREE to help anyone who's around his part of Texas with their conversion to get it right.

You Rock nalioth. :super:

Edited by Paulyski