I just picked up some 30 round mags from a local shop. There are no markings on the mag or the floor plate/follower (both metal). They were already modded to fit my Saiga. I have to get over to the range to test em out, but it looks promising.

Why is there such a large sharp rib on the back of the mag? I see where it adds some strength, but it seems to stick out way to far. Can it be ground off a bit to give more comfort on the hands or is it needed for some reason?

They look like this one, but are only 30 rounders. Same dimple pattern at the bottom (not really well defined dimples). Same ugly finish/paint. Oh, just noticed the two small round holes on the upper front lip (mine are not as well defined).

40rndmag.jpg

I suspect the russian mag design was based on ease of mfg., strength and function...like the AK itself.

If you grind the "rib" away...it'll trash the mag (the rib is where the mag rear is welded together). Get a chinese version if the rib is too unsightly.

I have thought about placing auto door molding over the rib.

LG

Edited by lollygagger
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm not understanding why the rib is uncomfortable. are ya'll holding onto the mag while firing?

guess it's not an issue with metal mags but i've trained myself not to do that especially with plastic/poly mags. ya'll remember the repeated broken tabs on the saiga 308 mags due to stress from holding the mag during firing.

i'm not understanding why the rib is uncomfortable. are ya'll holding onto the mag while firing?

guess it's not an issue with metal mags but i've trained myself not to do that especially with plastic/poly mags. ya'll remember the repeated broken tabs on the saiga 308 mags due to stress from holding the mag during firing.

there are quite a few weapons that can be held comfortably by holding the magazine like that, especially in CQB. of course, if you want to do that, you have to be 100% sure that both the mag and the gun itself is strong enough to cope with it, because it does indeed put quite a bit of strain on both.

(it's part of standard training with the FNC and Sig 550/551/552 family, as an 'alternative' grip)

Keep in mind that if you hold your mag as an "alternative grip", if you manage to fire a double loaded cartridge, you may lose a hand. Most of the 'kaboom' from one of those goes out through the mag well.

After I bought my .22, there had been reports of "kabooms" with it, with talk of the mag being blown out/down and into pieces. My left hand was positioned right under the mag when I shot. Since reading that, I don't hold it there anymore :D

• 3 weeks later...
I just picked up some 30 round mags from a local shop. There are no markings on the mag or the floor plate/follower (both metal). They were already modded to fit my Saiga. I have to get over to the range to test em out, but it looks promising.

Why is there such a large sharp rib on the back of the mag? I see where it adds some strength, but it seems to stick out way to far. Can it be ground off a bit to give more comfort on the hands or is it needed for some reason?

They look like this one, but are only 30 rounders. Same dimple pattern at the bottom (not really well defined dimples). Same ugly finish/paint. Oh, just noticed the two small round holes on the upper front lip (mine are not as well defined).

For your pleasure...