Considering ideas for new subforums - Reloading - etc

Hey guys, Im just kicking around ideas to expand the forums of the site a little more, and one of them that I am considering is a reloading forum. I know a lot of you guys out there reload or used to reload, and Im just curious if anyone would like to see a sub-forum set up for it. I see the occasional posts about reloading, whether it be for shotguns or rifles, and I am just wondering what you all think about that.

Also, we would be more than open to any other section ideas that any of you may have. We have been trying to see what it is that you guys want, and are open to your thoughts.

I want to run something past my boss about future moderators and such, and how to implement them. I am thinking of adding them PER SECTION, and not just generally, like has been done in the past. I think it would make the head staff members' jobs a lot easier, and would be more attractive to people out there to have a specific moderator for sections.

Wondering what you guys think about all of this, and if you all have any thoughts on the subject.

Ben V

Bust up the Tech Section into model specific subs and a general sub for a catch-all, similiar to how the forum is laid out.

+1

The tech section has turned into a clusterfuck with all the questions being asked there. It started out as a reference section.

yeh that last one is probably the way to go, actually....

not sure if I can subdivide the conversion subforum into sections, though. and I really dont want to make a lot of individual areas of the forum with one subsection per area.

I have a few shotgun loads that I might share with everyone, if I can locate the damn notebook I have with them in it. I have a good mixed shot round (jungle shot or whatever you call it), a good high velocity #6 bird round, and a couple of nasty slug loads, as well as a recent addtion, my flechette round, which I cannot load down here in florida without a permit. I have a couple of loads that will give you a case of the flinches, actually. not sure if I want to share them, out of fear of someone putting them in the wrong gun and getting hurt.

I am still trying to find stuff since my move last month, just got into a new place this weekend, and I just found my coffee pot today, and my silverware....my shooting stuff is spread around in boxes too, and my notebook is noticeably not with the rest of my stuff for some reason, and neither is my damn press.

I need to work on some new loads anyhow, and have to start reloading for 308 and 7.62x54R soon as well.....

Reloading. Yes.

I just got a reloading manual from www.PrecisionReloading.com called "Blanks to Supersonics." It has loads for:

Bismuth

Buffered Bismuth

ECO and Sub-Sonic Bismuth

Lead Loads including data for 12GA 2-1/2" & 12GA 2"

Buffered Lead Loads

ECO and International Target for Lead Shot

Buckshot and Buffered Buckshot

Loads for Slugs

Loads for Blanks

Also, loads for mixed buckshot sizes and mixed birdshot.

It has all the basic stats, rules, and formulas for shotshell reloading, but none of the loading data you'd find in a Win/Rem reloading book. It isn't piles and piles of bird shot loads, there are buckshot and slug loads for:

.410 2.5"

.410 3"

28ga 2.5"

28ga 2.75"

20ga 2.5"

20ga 2.75"

20ga 3"

16ga 2.5"

16ga 2.75"

12ga 2"

12ga 2.5"

12ga 2.75"

12ga 3"

12ga 3.5"

10ga 2.75"

10ga 3.5"

And I still want more loads for buckshot, I can't wait to mix buckshot sizes using their data. I bet it's a waste of time for performance, but I don't care. I want some low recoil load data, that kind of stuff. The only way you can get that stuff is to share recipes (and double check them). I have a nice recipe (low brass, low recoil, #4 Buck) that I'd want to get stickied, because I think it will be what I will blast out of the MD-20. The load is the lightest I've ever felt in a 12ga, and when I took the stock out of my shoulder, the S12 failed to cycle because it had just enough power to cycle the thing when held steady. It'd be a great AOW pump load. That and what's in this book are all I can bring to the table for offerings, but man would that be a great topic. Probably won't get much posting action, but hold a lot of info.

+1 i got the mold last week to start making slugs but kind of at a stand still until i know what the best press is for loading them into shells

I have a 20 year-old MEC Grabber that is is still going strong. All things considered however I would go with Dillon across the board when it comes to reloading. I also have a 20 year-old Lee 1000 that is still kicking ass.

so maybe a re-vamp of the tech section is warranted, then??? (hah hah, re-vamp, get it)

It wouldn't bother me at all if it was just a subtopic under tech. And, I think it'd be nice to split it up by models, maybe just shotguns and rifles?

A general reloading section is good, some people reload only one type of ammo like rifle or hand gun. Other people like me reload every thing.

I started reloading in 1999.

All my hard ware except for my shot gun press and some of my dies are at least 20 years old. When I started out I didn't have very much money to by new stuff.

Like my user name, I use a lot of Winchester 748. It was developed for rounds like the 5.56mm and Win .308

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest an NFA section. Would be good for getting the facts out there on owning/making short barrels and other NFA regulated items. Alot of people still think you need license or only police can have such and such... I think many of those that know their states allow them to own NFA stuff believe its not worth the trouble to pursue it.