Way off any topic here, but when we lived in Arkansas two years ago we put in an below ground storm shelter. My 11 year old is very stormophobic. Anyway, we lived there a few months and didn't know many of the neighbors. A severe storm rolls through. Down we go, into the shelter. A tornado is coming pretty close to the house, so I take the Bassett Hound down there, too.

The shelter is in the back yard, which is fenced in. As the storm intensifies, I here this knock, knock, knock on the door. I yell "who is it" and the answer is "let us in". Well, they are pulling on the door, so they jamb the dead bolts that secure the door, and I can't open it. Finally, the let go and in comes four kids and a mom. I look at my wife, thinking she knows who they are and she looks at me, thinking I know who they are. Well, the lady tells us that they live on the street behind us and she saw the contractor putting in the shelter so when the storm hit, and she was at Wal Mart, they drove straight to our house!!! She says she went to the front door, but we didn't answer. No kidding, we were in the shelter.

Well, the more I thought about this, the more it pissed me off. If she was so intent on using the shelter, why didn't she try to meet us when we moved in? At least try to become our friends and maybe we will invite you in.

With thought, now I would not open the door. We were very vulnerable down there. But, at the time, I thought we knew these people and could not turn them away. Also, I was very worried that the dog, who was scared, might bite one of here kids. Just what I need, I help her and then get sued for a dog bite.

What would you have done?

If you would have let them in, would you let them in a second time (also, the next day i went by their house, they had tens of thousands of dollars of Harleys, atvs, etc. in the garage so they should have been able to buy their own shelter).

WJ

I would have given them a severe verbal reprimandation. The attitude that if you have something I dont, I should just be able to take it is sickening. Especially if they were well off themselves, they had no right to just "poach" your preparedness. Did you say anything to her at the time? Unbelievable. I know your supposed to help your fellow man, but when someone fills themselves with a feeling of entitlement to your prosperity, they dont deserve help. Should have kicked the Mom out and let the kids stay, just in case God was watching.....LOL Unless she was hot.

Unfortunately, not everyone will prepare themselves for times of disaster. I see it here in Florida every time we have a hurricane come through. People choose to ignore the possibillity that something might happen that will leave them and their families without basic needs or possibly put there wellbeing in danger. "It will not happen to me. It always happens to the other guy." is the attitude most take. They are too conserned with "now" and buy things that make them happy and content right now instead of making ready for the future. Hurricane Ivan hit our area pretty hard. Seems like nobody had generators, gas, or food stored for the occassion because we have not had a storm of that strength in years. After the storm, you could stil buy a generator but a $500 model was now $1100. If you did not have fuel, then you would have to wait in line for hours at an empty gas pump until a truck arrived and then you were only allowed 5 gallons. My Generator used 5 gallons each night. A few months after the storm everyone was selling their generators instead of storing them for future storms knowing that they would one day be in the same position again. The panic that comes before a storm in unbelievable. Everyone raids the grocery stores stocking up on food, batteries, candles, fuel ect. I have seen two women almost go to blows over a can of Spam.

This to me is the excact liberal attitude that is trying to take guns away from the citizens. The attitude if I don't start none there won't be none is crap. When Freddy Kruger is kicking your door off the hinges and coming in to do harm to you and your family, its to late to buy a gun for protection and form a mental plan on how to deal with it. Too late to pick a safe room for the family. Call 911 and the Police will be there in time to take a report on all the bad things that happened and that is if you can get to a phone. Home invaders usually come quick and without warning. They will come in through the unlocked door that you left unsecure because it is not conveinant to lock it and unlock it every time you go in or out. No time to pick up the phone and call 911. You may have time to pick up your home protection gun and go to work though. I have seen what happens when Freddy trys a prepared home owner. Freddy will try to pick an easy target and think he has the advantage of surprise and being armed. Well the door is locked so as he strts kicking he gives up surprise to the home owner. Once he enters he faces a now armed home owner. Who's surprised now?

I would probably have let the lady and her kids in. It may have been her husband that chose not to prepare for his family. I would help as much as I could but I would not help to the point that I could not provide for the needs of my family.

I know I got carried away here but this is a topic close to home. I get tired of seeing the unprepared masses waiting until disaster strikes and then whine about how FEMA and the Government not taking care of them. The services FEMA provides is abused and a waste of tax payers money. I saw FEMA trailers going to people that did not have significant storm damage. FEMA also payed for one chainsaw and generator per home if you had a receipt. There were people that did not have damage or loose power that cashed in on that one. Because of all the abuse, people that needed the services could not get them. My roof was torn off and I had to rebuild the entire interior of my house. Roofers and contractors were not to be found. I was on the list for the blue roof but with incoming storms I could not wait or I would have sustained further damage. I found one of the churches here that had the same tarps and was able to talk them into giving me one and had to do it myself. Once the roof was up and I was ready to start demolition to rebuild the house I found that I did not qualify for a trailer. WHAT? So I had the family live in one half of the house while I worked on the other half. When that was done we switched places.

YOU CAN"T COUNT ON ANYONE during these times. Be ready!

Personally. I'd let them in the first time. But if it happened again, after seeing the way they've wasted their money, I'd only let the kids in next time. Can't let the kids suffer for the error of their parents ways. If it would have been me, I would have just asked that you take my son in.

Put them in contact with the the company you got your shelter from. Politely tell them you can't hear very well in there and you may not be able to let them in next time.

Yeah, I agree. Diplomatically polite, but for a mom & kids I'd probably let them in a second time. Of course you know she told everyone she knew where she went to be safe during the crisis. Thanks for sharing the story. A small heads up on how it could be in an "after the shit hits the fan" situation. Could have just as easily been every bad guy or desperate family man within 6 blocks.

I know this has been posted on the site before but it a good read for anyone that missed it.

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/ubb...49;t=000074;p=0

I would have given them a severe verbal reprimandation. The attitude that if you have something I dont, I should just be able to take it is sickening. Especially if they were well off themselves, they had no right to just "poach" your preparedness. Did you say anything to her at the time? Unbelievable. I know your supposed to help your fellow man, but when someone fills themselves with a feeling of entitlement to your prosperity, they dont deserve help. Should have kicked the Mom out and let the kids stay, just in case God was watching.....LOL Unless she was hot.

I like that last idea; keep the kids, get rid of the mom. You are right, that way, at least I would have been half way humane

I like that last idea; keep the kids, get rid of the mom. You are right, that way, at least I would have been half way humane

There is a bit more to the story that I left out. About five minutes after the mom and kids came in, there was a second knock. They guy yelled that his family was in there with us. I let him in. At that point, we had 10 people in there, and the dog. Now, the husband looked very sheepish and embarrassed by this whole situation. The wife had called him on her cell phone before she got to our house and told him where she was going. He tried to make nice by telling me that he had a ski boat and that he would take us skiing sometime. I was thinking "If you can afford the ski boat, where is your storm shelter."

I think what really bothered me is that they lived two house over and behind us, yet in four months, they had never even come over to meet us. Then, in a storm, there she is. Now, I'm a Christian, and I could not turn them away that first time. But, I had actually decided if they showed up again, the would get a brochure from the maker of the shelter as a major hint. I think Racegal20's idea is right on for the first time. Ask if your children can come in. Then, if invited, the parent should go it too, but only if there was room. They were lucky, what if we were already full. Where would she have gone?

"Let us in"? I know there was a tornado nearby and it was probably heat of the moment, but I wouldn't have the nerve to tell someone I didn't know to let me into their storm shelter. Either way, I agree with giving them the contact info of the company who set up your shelter. That way, you're being friendly/neighborly by trying to help them out, but at the same time saying "Sell some of your toys and get your own damn shelter". Next Thanksgiving, show up at their house, and say "let me in", then proceed to tell them you saw them bringing some Turkey-Day groceries into their house.

Guess that means she wasn't hot. LOL

Were they nice people? Did they atleast bring beer? Might be a good idea to swing over sometime with the number for the contractor and shoot the shit with them it'll be a good way for you to meet your neighbors. Don't people in your area have basements? If you don't have basements I'm glad that you had a storm shelter installed very smart thinking.

That said it sure takes balls to do what they did. I would have let them in thou but wtf.

I think that you did the right thing as well. I would just tell her not to expect such a magnanimous act on my part this next time to help safeguard her family.

She sounds like a liberal Democrat always exspecting others to take care of her problems.

I would have let them in, but I would have also been armed to the teeth, because in times of crisis, people can and do turn into something completely different. Being children were involved, yes I would have let them in, it being my nature to share and all of that, but I would also have hinted strongly for them to have thier own shelter built, seeing how they have the money to do so. Sometimes (most of the time, in my case) it isnt what we want that we should spend our $$$'s on, but what we NEED. Kind of the theory on alcohol I have. Dont buy it if you are broke, dont drink it until the day is done, and dont go out for it when you run out. Its not something that one NEEDS.

Something else to ask yourself is this. What if there was a massive tornado bearing down on you, you pulled up to your home, run for your shelter, and there is someone in there terrified to the point that they DONT open the door for YOU? what then? I have built safe rooms inside people's homes, down in thier basements, and that is a feasible alternative, although a more costly one, to avoid the whole matter you described above. It not only is your shelter, but it is a large safe as well, and as such you dont need to bring ANYTHING there with you, just your self and your loved ones. Set your gun safe in there, and set up a shelving unit with water, food, and perhaps some fuel in a good container. Nobody will know you have the place that you do not tell about it, and you wont have to remember to grab anything on your way there.

One safe room I built was for someone that had lived through an F4 tornado, and moved to NY to not deal with it again on that scale, but they still wanted one in thier home that was not easily dicernable in thier new home to visitors. It went under the garage slab, had a 1/4" steel plate roof to support the vehicles and concrete, and the door was disguised to look like poured concrete foundation wall, and was a door that had a spring in it, and was opened by removing a steel rod out of the door frame from the adjoining storage room next to the stairs entering the basement. It was closed in a similar manner from the inside, and with the rod in place from the inside to keep the door shut and secure, you were unable to insert a rod from the outer device, and unable to remove it from there as well. It cost them about 6 grand in extra material and labor on the build of their home, which isnt a lot, considering it was a literal secret vault.

That isnt right that the woman hadnt introduced herself prior and asked first, also is not right that you had to go over THERE the following day, and not them coming banging on the door with thanks and breakfast and or lunch or SOMETHING.

As for the generator comment above, as far as I know, it is illegal to store gasoline in florida. I will have to look into the amount that you cannot store, if there is an amount, but Im guessing it is liberal democratic thing of "lets protect the environment at the expense of saftey" in an extreme sense if the amounts are ridiculous.

Actually, as I recall, she was pretty good looking. But, even after 18 years of marriage, my wife still looks pretty good, so I try not to notice those things!

They never did anything to repay us for our hospitality. I agree, the next morning, they should have brought over breakfast and a nice bottle of wine. Oh well. We lived there about a year after that and then we moved here to North Carolina. While we were there, we did not have another really bad storm, so they never darkened our door again. I would have never imposed myself on anyone, let alone a stranger, in that manner.

WJ

I would have never imposed myself on anyone, let alone a stranger, in that manner.

I agree. That is a crazy story.

I guess I would have let them in, but would probably draw down on them when the door opened- just to set the tone.

you should have come down to NYC with us on 9/11 to retrieve people from the area....people and police didnt seem to mind AT ALL that we were armed to the teeth or waving an american flag...I never have seen a liberal wall street jewish businessman so HAPPY to get in a truck with a couple of armed white boys that he never met, AND show us where he lived, to boot, when we got back up north. happy times.

I have very little faith in the goodwill of my fellow man out there, and will let god judge me on that when the time comes, and not be sent to that appointment we all have by someone else who would not be so willing to be so nice in a time of desperate need.

Guess that means she wasn't hot. LOL

Doesn't most "fallout shelters" include a paper bag of some sort. :bag::unsure:

If worse comes to worse, just cut off the generator or blow out the lantern for a few minutes. :kiss::wub::up: