After a six week wait, my Wilson Combat Standard shotgun finally arrived yesterday. (In reality, this was a short wait which is teaching me patience while I wait for my number to come up at Tromix). I had tried to order the shotgun directly from Wilson Combat, but when I told them which gun shop I was going to use for my FFL, they asked me to buy it through them, because the place is a Master Dealer.

Anyway, I drop in to pick it up. Three of the employees come over to look at it and ask if they can hold it. Of course, no problem. They all compliment the finish and how the slide action has been reworked and is smoother than a standard 870. It seems clear that they really like it. Then, along comes employee number four. Now, I spoken with him before. He usually has an opinion that is 180 degrees off of what the other guys think, and of the way I'm leaning. He picks it up, notice how this guy didn't ask my permission. He tries out the surefire and comments how it isn't as bright as it should be. He looks it over and says there is too much lubricant in the chamber. Then he asks how much the shotgun costs. I tell him and he frowns. Then he says he doesn't understand why anyone would pay more for Wilson Combat to modify a shotgun when the standard 870 is fine.

What a tool this guy is. First, I find his comments to be boarder line insulting. The shotgun was my choice and my money. Next, if he were such an expert, he would know why the modifications Wilson Combat makes to the gun make it worth more. Plus, I had the gun coated and a speed feed III stock added. If you consider what has been done to it, versus a comparable stock Remington 870, I think the price was reasonable. I'm sure that Wilson Combat would not appreciate that their "Master Dealer" has such "knowledgeable" employees who bad mouth their product.

I hope this guy still works there when my Tromix comes in. He will have no clue what it is. I don't think I'll even let him touch it.

By the way, I think the Wilson Combat looks really good in green and black. The fit and finish are very nice. It is my new home defense weapon of choice, for now.

WJ

hey I know what you mean. there is a shop here in richmond va called greentop. this place fucking SUCKS! period! I have been in there a lot when i was younger and i bought my first pistol there when i was 23. It was a ruger superblack hawk with about a 10 inch bbl and in 44 mag. i wish i still had it. any way back to my story. If you want to shop at green top you need to be waveing money when you walk in. or they wont speek to you unless you are a regular that spends a lot of money. I now shop at degoffs in va. they are super guys and are always helpfull even if you tell them you are NOT looking to buy but just want to get an idea of whats available and they have saiga 12's in stock as of yeaterday. i am going to pick one up monday. sorry fellas they dont do internet sales :-( if you are in richmond look up degoffs they also cary the arsonial SP? ak milled guns and are a stocking dealer. and they carry dsa fals and armalight and colt ar15's and ar10's

That place sounds worse to me every time I hear about them. Do yourself a big favor and call Jim. Dealing with him vs. those guys would be like night and day. He's been in business for over 30 yrs and is retired Army. A real good guy with very good prices.

There is one in every gunshop. I think that they are required by law. I hate the variant that will walk over and take something out of your hands. My standard joke is, "I will hate to try and take a leak around you."

I am sure that you are considering the source.

That place sounds worse to me every time I hear about them. Do yourself a big favor and call Jim. Dealing with him vs. those guys would be like night and day. He's been in business for over 30 yrs and is retired Army. A real good guy with very good prices.

I know, I have been meaning to do that!

Are you going to the show today or tomorrow? I might be able to make it tomorrow afternoon.

WJ

Are you going to the show today or tomorrow? I might be able to make it tomorrow afternoon.

WJ

We aren't going today. Working on fire wood. Not sure about tomorrow either. He has a friend coming over to hook up some gas logs in the bedroom. You'll love this. His friends name is Shannon. :rolleyes:

WJ

We aren't going today. Working on fire wood. Not sure about tomorrow either. He has a friend coming over to hook up some gas logs in the bedroom. You'll love this. His friends name is Shannon. :rolleyes:

You guys stay warm.

How confusing! Two Shannons.

I hope to make it tomorow, but given the weather, I'll probably end up taking my wife to work and back and keeping the kids from axe murdering each other.

You would think people working retail would be smarter than that,but sorry to say that is not the case. I only wish I could afford a 1911 from them,and I've seen the armor tuff finish first hand. Its very nice and wears really well.

There was a dickhead at the sportsmans warehouse that did about the same thing to me with a Leupold scope. He asked why I would spend so much,when

Bushnells were alot more rugged. What?! Idiot! Don't get me wrong Bushnell is an ok product,but I wouldn't take one over a Leupold.

Post some pics of that baby!

You would think people working retail would be smarter than that,but sorry to say that is not the case. I only wish I could afford a 1911 from them,and I've seen the armor tuff finish first hand. Its very nice and wears really well.

There was a dickhead at the sportsmans warehouse that did about the same thing to me with a Leupold scope. He asked why I would spend so much,when

Bushnells were alot more rugged. What?! Idiot! Don't get me wrong Bushnell is an ok product,but I wouldn't take one over a Leupold.

Post some pics of that baby!

I've got to be out of pocket for 48 hours, but when I get back, I'll post some pictures of it. I really like how the Speedfeed stock looks on it instead of the six shell saddle. I know this is a personal preference, but I think the shotgun has much cleaner lines without the saddle.

WJ

There is one in every gunshop. I think that they are required by law. I hate the variant that will walk over and take something out of your hands. My standard joke is, "I will hate to try and take a leak around you."

I am sure that you are considering the source.

The last couple times that has happened to me, I dont let go of it and start in with my pleasant NY demeanor.

My favorite is when they swing a muzzle past you. Ive outright screamed at people for that in shops. kinda "what the FUCK man, and you fucking STUPID or what?" -ish.

then there are the guys that cant deal with you right this second because they have more important things to do like shoot the shit with thier buddy, then laugh at you because they think you are going to wait and drool on something. to which I almost always say, loudly, "ya know what, go fuck yourselves, Ill take my money else where". Ive been follwed outside the shop doing that one, to which there is the "oh, fuck you, get over it" followed by the "you arent threatening me I hope". when you stop and turn and say that nice and quiet, it almost always has a soothing effect on people.

95% of shops are not worth yours or my time to enter, let alone do business with. I go into every shop I see, and that is the statistic Ive come up with, after being in hundred, hundred fifty of shops around the US over the years.

..........and THAT is why I like it here so much, or did until recently.

An old girlfriend went to a gunshop/shooting range to have one of the more obnoxious clerks wait on her. I had taken her there a few times when I was teaching her to shoot, and today she was on her own. Anyway, she asked about having the sights on her Glock 22 changed over to night sights and perhaps the gun cleaned while they had it. She was new shooter, really not a gun enthusiast, and was a little unsure of how to field strip it.

This guy told her how easy it was, field stripped the pistol, including pulling out the trigger group, then just walked away. First he waited on other customers, then he just went to lunch. She there for over an hour with her pistol in pieces on the counter, before she called me. We were still friends, but no longer dating.

This retard got some kind of sadistic pleasure in showing this gal, who could hold a pretty good group that she did not know how to reassemble her pistol.

When she called me, I called the owner that was not in the store. So, I called the on-duty employee that was in charge, he told me that he could not help me, that they were busy and that she would have to wait on the original clerk. I told him not to worry about it.

I then called the County PD, had an officer go out and take a report on Criminal Trespass, (Intentional Property Damage of less then $500). She swept her pistol into a paperbag and met the officer out in the parking lot for the report.

To make a long story short, we came to an agreement short of him being arrested, but the stunt had lost a lot of it's amusement value for him.

I like the guys that you try to help out when they try to rip the charging handle out of thier AR when they have a dented shouldered case jam and cant advance the bolt any more. But thats on the range, not in a shop. The shops I frequent are of the type that I have been ASKED when the owner is unsure of something odd that a customer asks or needs help with.

The stupidest question is the one that you dont ask, but the stupidest answer is the one where you are an asshole like what Azrial just drew a good portrait of, above. I got out of the IT world because of exactly that, and the general attitude that breeds it in the workplace.

• 3 months later...

Two stories and three different shops.

One shop (Shop A) was the place where I bought a pistol for "work purposes" which requires plenty of night hours. After about a week I decided I made a mistake and should have ordered it with night sights. Going back to the shop I asked the owner, a former police armorer if he could install them for me. His response was, "why do you need night sights?" I told him he must be the wrong man for the job and had the guy (Shop B) down the street do it.

More recently, last friday, I picked up a Smith 442 centennial for a new backup. The shop (Shop C) was very helpful, almost to a fault. When I inquired about holsters the employee promptly picked my revolver out of the case and started twirling it around his finger as he began walking across the store to the holsters. I had a sick feeling in my stomach and before I could say anything he then proceeded to drop it....needless to say I got a refund and am now waiting for S&W to ship a new pistol to the dealer (Shop B) who put my night sights on.

Long story short, us firearm enthusiasts are a very sensitive bunch--don't upset us with antics, we will just go somewhere else.

Fortunately, the shop where I work part time isn't like that. It'srun by a man and his wife, and he's had the business for more than 25 years. I do the gunsmithing there, so I'm not out front a lot, but we don't mind shoppers who are just looking. We encourage the ladies to take up shooting, and will help them any way we can. I certainly would not have disassembled anybodys pistol and just walked away. In fact, I often miss lunch helping the customers. We have a BassPro where we live, and many of their gun department employees are less than satisfactory, as well as those of a couple of local shops.

So please just remember that not all gun shop employees are assholes.

I have a local gun shop that is a mom and pop store that will go out of their way to help you out.

The owner spent a good 5 minutes schooling me on shotgun shells even though we had already established that they did not have in stock what I was looking for.

I dont spend a lot of money there, just the occasional surplus Turkish mauser, but we are still treated with respect when we go there.

I like that.

+1 for the "little" shops. I go to a little shop, hidden in a tiny plaza, and run by an old man. Nice guy, and the employees I've dealt with there all seemed nice too. It's actually the only place I bought guns (besides my .22 at Dicks).