Someone please explain the adjustable gas piston to me

I gather that it's to reduce the amount of force on the spring when shooting higher-power rounds, but what should it be set at when I'm shooting say, 2 3/4 bird shot? Right now the 2 is at about 7 o'clock (right side up) and the 1 is at 3 o'clock when I'm staring down the barrel.

My main concern is that occasionally it jams up, because it's getting caught on the safety bar, and I was wondering if adjusting the gas piston would correct this, or if it just needs to be broken in more. It's gotten a lot better, it used to jam about every other round, now I can run 10 through it at a once most of the time, and it will only act up 1 out of 20 rounds or so. It's still an annoyance.

Thanks in advance.

Start by screwing the gas plug all of the way in and see where it stops at. I think 2 but I dont have my shotty out so I could be wrong. If you are really lucky, you will have one of the ones that will shoot everything on setting 1, which is for the more powerful rounds. Some of them do.

Just go out to the first position and then go back and forth between 1 and 2. Do not keep screwing out past the initial back and forth to go to the other number I hope I put this so it makes sense.

Other than that, I would recommend 3 inch magnums, 3 inch slug and #00buck, 2 3/4 slug and #00 buck and the like on setting 1, stuff like low brass birdshot or mid brass birdshot would be on setting 2.

That is my general rule of thumb. ( I do try any new round I buy that falls in the middle to see if it will cycle on 1 before putting it in the 2 catagory.

This is how I do it

If you take the plug all the way out and look at it on the backside you will see how it works and why there are just two settings.

Halfway between either way and you are still basically using setting #1.

Doesn't matter. If it is screwed all the way in, then back it out to setting #1 or the next setting #2.

Thanks 1911, that is what I was trying to say in my own confusing way :unsure:

If you start out on 1 and screw out to 2, you always go back in to 1, never continue screwing it out, just back and forth between the 2 settings.

I was thinking of coming up with a 3-setting plug, but I don't really see a lot of need for it.

I think it might be more of a gimmick than having any real use. Unless anybody here thinks differently.

When was it done? Is there a picture of it? I'd love to see it.

While we're on the subject, and to send it down a different gun, is there anyway to put a Shotgun puck system onto a .308, then, using the gas settings, make ONE setting that is normal Semi-Auto, and another setting that is "Bolt-Action" to eliminate the throwing of brass?

There are pictures of it here somewhere, maybe I'll try a search later.

Yeah you can put a shotgun gas block onto a rifle; Tony has already done it. But if you just want to kill the gas system a relief valve should do it.

Here ya go: C&S Metal Werks

"The ones I designed were 6 position (2 + 4 extra). Once you go from #2 setting (wide open) to the 90-degree mark, the gas-port is closed. You have 90-degrees to work with. You can only get 4 detents cut, in that amount of space.

The reason I went to the trouble of making them was because I wanted a 'turn-knob' on them.

I would never go to the trouble of doing them again, too much work just to get the knob, which is rarely used.

Lathing them out of steel, milling the detents, milling the knob, then heat-treating.... a lot of work for what it is, imho."

gas1.jpg

Now, if you could design a self-regulating gas system for the S-12, then you'd have something.

Edited by BobAsh
There are pictures of it here somewhere, maybe I'll try a search later.

Yeah you can put a shotgun gas block onto a rifle; Tony has already done it. But if you just want to kill the gas system a relief valve should do it.

I want to be able to choose whether I want Semi-Auto or Bolt Action.

Would there be a way to bleed the gas out of the system before it hit the piston?

I have a friend who is trying to do the same thing with his PSL (vent the GB so he can shoot the heavier ball ammo). He's planning to tap a screw thru the side that can be removed to vent the extra gas. I'm not sure that's gonna work. I have seen videos of AKs firing and cycling with no gas tube even intalled. I guess by the time the gas reaches the tube though it's done it's job already. That's why the vented tubes don't reduce the pressure, only keep the action cleaner.

...my .02

Start by screwing the gas plug all of the way in and see where it stops at. I think 2 but I dont have my shotty out so I could be wrong. If you are really lucky, you will have one of the ones that will shoot everything on setting 1, which is for the more powerful rounds. Some of them do.

Just go out to the first position and then go back and forth between 1 and 2. Do not keep screwing out past the initial back and forth to go to the other number I hope I put this so it makes sense.

Other than that, I would recommend 3 inch magnums, 3 inch slug and #00buck, 2 3/4 slug and #00 buck and the like on setting 1, stuff like low brass birdshot or mid brass birdshot would be on setting 2.

That is my general rule of thumb. ( I do try any new round I buy that falls in the middle to see if it will cycle on 1 before putting it in the 2 catagory.

This is how I do it

Just checked mine... scewed in tight the # 2 just passed detent.... backed out to detent. I suppose that means maximum gas pressure to run the bolt using low-level loads - backing out to #1 would reduce gas pressure allowing for high-level loads.

If the above is the correct analysis, please confirm.

Thanks.

Edited by Ironbarr

That is how I understand it. The shape of the back of the gas plug controls the amount of gas that the piston gets to cycle the shotgun.

Just dont keep screwing out every time you change settings. Go back and forth IE loosen and tighten between the settings, not loosen, loosen, loosen.

Yeah, except mine won't tighten all the way up where I would think it should be,

#1,.. #2,...

But it seems to work like it should, except mine doesn't cycle the light rounds on a shortened barrel.

Which leads to,.....

This weekend only

Gas Block Knock off!!!

Gasp Port Reaming!!!

Drilling new Gas Hole,...!!

Sounds rough ,but I'll report back on how it goes,,..

all Directions and dimensions etc ARE FORM THIS SITE!!! YEEEHAWW PAW!

Yeah, except mine won't tighten all the way up where I would think it should be,

#1,.. #2,...

But it seems to work like it should, except mine doesn't cycle the light rounds on a shortened barrel.

Which leads to,.....

This weekend only

Gas Block Knock off!!!

Gasp Port Reaming!!!

Drilling new Gas Hole,...!!

Sounds rough ,but I'll report back on how it goes,,..

all Directions and dimensions etc ARE FORM THIS SITE!!! YEEEHAWW PAW!

Let us know how it goes, I think it would be fun to hip fire some light brass birdshot from a short barrel saiga. If nothing else, for the bling effect, know what I mean? :wub:

... scewed in tight the # 2 just passed detent.... backed out to detent. I suppose that means maximum gas pressure to run the bolt using low-level loads - backing out to #1 would reduce gas pressure allowing for high-level loads.

Yes, #2 is twice the gas.

Also see here: Tromix S-12 Service Tips.

... scewed in tight the # 2 just passed detent.... backed out to detent. I suppose that means maximum gas pressure to run the bolt using low-level loads - backing out to #1 would reduce gas pressure allowing for high-level loads.

Yes, #2 is twice the gas.

Also see here: Tromix S-12 Service Tips.

Roger that. Thanks for the input.

Alright, I just got a my Saiga 12 recent and it came out of the box with the 2 at 7 o'clock and the 1 is at 3 o'clock if I'm looking down the barrel. Does this mean that the regulator is set to the 2 setting which should be used for light load or the 1 setting for heavy load? I just want to be sure since it's a new toy. If anyone has pictures that would be great. Thanks.

Edit: Mine is set just like the one in this picture.

saiga12bwm9.jpg

Edited by wickeddeus