When the U.S. Marine Corps went shopping for a combat shotgun, they bo

My buddy came back from iraqi with a earfull of complaints on weapons, of course the usual problems with M16's in a combat zone with sand blowing in your face...but the biggest gripe was the use of the Benelli M4, not only did he get jams but to his suprize during some fighting time, he was shooting it rapid fire and the fucking spring assembly shot out of the gun, he didn't know what to fucking do other then throw the gun down and start up with the beretta....he was PISSED. Thinking this was a isolated event, he eventually got another one and the same fucking thing happend. after that he refused any shotguns that weren't pump. the funny thing is, benelli's own shotgun forum has a section with people with problems, and they have some factory inconsistancies, different # of ports of the barrel, so which # of ports you have will determine if your gun is reliable or not LOL. 2 ports, your ok, 4 ports, your in deep shit ;) here's a quote from their forum

"Anyway I've read some of the post of the M4 and the bolt failures. Well mine went out on me. The gas piston mushed the left side bolt face that it is deformed and is jamming the bolt against the rails and now is inoperative. The post I've read are several months old and never saw if Benelli came to a concolusion, or repair/replacement of the bolt. Thanks for any info or feedback. How about a number to call Benelli support?"

Edited by Vultite
My buddy came back from iraqi with a earfull of complaints on weapons, of course the usual problems with M16's in a combat zone with sand blowing in your face...but the biggest gripe was the use of the Benelli M4, not only did he get jams but to his suprize during some fighting time, he was shooting it rapid fire and the fucking spring assembly shot out of the gun, he didn't know what to fucking do other then throw the gun down and start up with the beretta....he was PISSED. Thinking this was a isolated event, he eventually got another one and the same fucking thing happend. after that he refused any shotguns that weren't pump. the funny thing is, benelli's own shotgun forum has a section with people with problems, and they have some factory inconsistancies, different # of ports of the barrel, so which # of ports you have will determine if your gun is reliable or not LOL. 2 ports, your ok, 4 ports, your in deep shit ;) here's a quote from their forum

"Anyway I've read some of the post of the M4 and the bolt failures. Well mine went out on me. The gas piston mushed the left side bolt face that it is deformed and is jamming the bolt against the rails and now is inoperative. The post I've read are several months old and never saw if Benelli came to a concolusion, or repair/replacement of the bolt. Thanks for any info or feedback. How about a number to call Benelli support?"

I had the same problem with one of our SWAT Bennellis. I corrected it by removing that stupid gadget that lets you remove the magazine spring and I slid an 870 follower in its place from the other end. The spring now stays in the gun where it belongs. I can imagine what he was feeling when his magazine spring came shooting out the front of the gun when he needed his gun the most. For close in the shooting spring is not a bad option. If you are lucky, you might put his eye out giving you enough time to beat him to death with your expensive imported club. One of the other Bennellis had both the front and rear sight fall off while shooting a string of fire in training. I had to drill and re-tap the receiver because the bolts that hold the rear sight sheared off. I silver soldered the front sight back on ony to have it fall off at the next training. I welded it in place and it is not going anywhere now.

• 1 month later...

Never had a problem with mine in 2003.

But I've heard all the horror stories from folks online, and from 2nd parties who knew a Devil dog who said something close to the above. Just haven't heard it live from my fellow Marines back then.

It's not like they would buy Saiga-12's on contract. Whether or not everyone wishes they would.

Same stuff I hear about M16A2's, and M4's, and yet I can attest to those performing quite well at dispatching un-washed indigenous personel. Best way to find out is to join the service I guess. You can find out first-hand if the gear You take care of will work when needed. I can't say something negative about a tool that worked well for me.

:smoke:

I guess if you wait or live long enough, you will hear gripes about every weapon on the planet.

But I have seen the Benelli spit out the spring myself!

I'm going to let him know about your fix there madmilo!

Are there any problems that people have seen with the s-12? Anyone's gas tube fall off? bolt handle detatch? Bolt deform? anything?

I know there are sometimes issues with getting them running perfectly with all the ammo but besides a gas tweak, does anyone have a Saiga horror story?

• 2 weeks later...

mine isnt military, but its a Super Black Eagle. ive abused the hell out of it. used it as a push pole when going in the flooded timber in Arkansas. froze it solid then thawed it out for an evening hunt. dropped it in mud and sand and it has never missed a beat. when i clean it, i use choke and carb cleaner, let it dry then lube it with hoppes.

got it from a farmer in TX. he won it in a raffle and sold it to me cheap b/c my browning BPS 12 was being a pain in the ass.

• 4 months later...
Are there any problems that people have seen with the s-12? Anyone's gas tube fall off? bolt handle detatch? Bolt deform? anything?

I know there are sometimes issues with getting them running perfectly with all the ammo but besides a gas tweak, does anyone have a Saiga horror story?

A valid question...!

Recoil operated Benellis are super reliable gas operated ones must be a totally different animal.

My ancient wood stocked,steel recievered M1 would digest any combat load without hiccup and I probably put several thousands rounds through the thing from 1987-2002 when I got my Saiga 12.

My Saiga digested 4000rds of Sellier and Bellot 00 Buck without a single failure and that is why I became an early convert and phased out my Benellis

Edited by SOPMOD

I have never been one to buy the Benelli mystique. I have always preferred the Remington 870 & 1100 for Law Enforcement usage.

The main reason that it caught on in LE circles is that due to the fact it employed a recoil operated action it would work fine with a 12 barrel, something no 1100 will do without serious modification.

From there the "cool" factor was a big reason for its spread. Personally I think that they have too many damn parts, like most guns the Italians build.

None of mine have had issues with anything from the factory.

Out here in Iraq the pics I've shown of my fully converted S12 are definitely the envy of the crowd. No one I know who has an S12 has EVER had any kind of catastrophic failure. I've seen a couple FTFs from cheap light crap, but nothing else.

Edited by macross40k
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...