Revived Saiga in Disguise Due This Month

Well guys, now that the Saiga is quickly becoming extinct. I went out on the Web. Look what I found:

http://www.ak47.com/

Surprise!! Look what came out on 1/4/05. It's an AK stamped receiver, a folding stock, and the front end of the Saiga including handguard. You don't think EAA had a spat with the Russians because Robinson's sell the new folding stock 7.62 VEPR do you? Hmmmm.... Me thinks there is something to this. :blues:

It's all starting to make sense now!!

New!! VEPR K 7.62x39mm with Folding Tube Stock. Solid best folding stock available for VEPR and all stamped AK47s. Flash-Hiders Coming Soon. For more information, Click on the Image. Taking orders now.

Wolverine

Edited by Wolverine

Your right about the handguard. It is a matter of cosmetics. Anyway, I would anticipate the new 7.62 with folding stock to sell for around $650 based on their other prices. these guys import the gun and basically do we have been doing and then tripling the price.

The point is they may be the only game in town, and it may well explain why EAA announced folding stocks one week and then folded tent the next.

UGh!! :ded:

Definately NOT a Saiga handguard. That baby is all vepr. But the mags look EXACTLY like my EAA synthetic 30 rounders. Also, it might just be the way that the folder is mounted but it looks as if the back of the reciever is slanted. Anyway, I think the conversions that you guys post from time to time look WAY better than that corporation built, overglorified, overpriced, fancy shmancy noise maker. And if I wanted a rifle that looked like a sleek version of the AK, I would convert MY Saiga or offer good money for one that one of you guys have built. If I had the kind of dough that thoes things go for, I could buy myself a nice Russian reciever and start from scratch. I can find plenty of used veprs for sale but very few people will part with a converted Saiga. That tells me something!

What I suspect happened is Robinson releasized the Saiga was eating at his market and found a way to crush the low cost competition. I bet he went to the Russians and told them they could make fewer weapons and make more money by making him the exclusive importer dronm their source factories. when the russkies did the math it only made sense. Less material, less labor, higher margins, controlled growth, and same or better profits.

The Saiga may have been the victim of capitalism at work. Kill the competiton. Especially if it is high quality low cost competition. EAA may not have had a prayer. The Russians may have driven EAA to a conclusion that Robinson had designed.

That's my speculative two cents.

Wolverine

Im going to make my Saigas look at least that good and probably for a good deal less. And I willl have the experience of working on them myself. Its all good. Just glad I pulled my head out this last week and finally bought a couple right before it will be too late.

The Vepr is a MOLOT made product, not a IZHMASH ( Kalashnikov office ) made one. It does not incorporate "Saiga" parts...but, of course, shares AK features.

The handguard is specific to a Vepr, and not the same as a Saiga. And, yes indeed, the rear of the Vepr receiver does have that nasty angle on it.

To be sold as configured, the Vepr is "americanized" somewhat in order to meet the 922r BATF crappola...the Saiga is pure mother Russia.

The Vepr is pretty much a "importer" converted Molot equivalent of the "individual" converted Saiga.

Lollygagger :unsure:

I think you are giving Robarms to much credit for squashing the Saiga import. I have shot my friends VEPR in 7.62x39 and it is more of a machine, but doubt that it is worth the cost. The receiver is like the RPK and the barrel is heavier, but it when it all shakes out it is still just an AK. I was going to plunk down the cash, but ended up with an FAL instead.

I contacted Robinson several months ago about their forearms and they responded that their US made forearms will not fit on a Saiga. Thier VEPR's are domesically made versions of the Russian RPK with a slant cut at the back. I think they wanted to make it harder for people to accessorize so they wouldnt buy the "cheap" model and then add parts on their own. As it stands, if you want a VEPR with a folding stock you have to buy it like that from them.