Gas regulator is STUCK GOOD

So I've got this Tromix S17 that runs like a top. So good in fact its always cycled light loads on setting number 1. Since its been running so well I thought I'd give it a workout and not clean the gas system until absolutely necessary. Its got about 400-500 mixed rounds or so down the pipe and has finally ceased to cycle birdshot on the first gas setting. (High-brass still works like a champ.) I took this as my indicator that the gas ports are becoming plugged and that its finally time to clean the gas system. Now heres the fun part; I cannot get the gas regulator to budge using the nice little supplied screwdriver-type tool that came with the gun. Hard to get much leverage with that little thing. Anybody know any tricks to loosen this sucker up? Or possibly a better tool for the job?

I have used a quarter in a pair of vice grips with success on hard to move regulators. If it's stuck too much for that to work try taking two flat blade screwdrivers, with the gun held firmly in a padded vice, and engage both slots of the plug with the screwdrivers crossed up so that they are levering off of each other. That should do it.

Anybody know any tricks to loosen this sucker up?

Yes, but its a gobertment secret that the ninjas taught me. You have to send the gun to me I cannot preform the ritual anywhere else

Or possibly a better tool for the job?

I got this real spiffy tool...custom cut out of unobtanium...can't lend it out though so we're back to you sending me your gun :smoke:

I have used a quarter in a pair of vice grips with success on hard to move regulators. If it's stuck too much for that to work try taking two flat blade screwdrivers, with the gun held firmly in a padded vice, and engage both slots of the plug with the screwdrivers crossed up so that they are levering off of each other. That should do it.

Cobra, you the man.

The screwdriver trick worked pretty well once I found a pair of screwdrivers narrow enough to engage the slots on the plug. Took some force, but the screwdrivers provided enough leverage to turn it with the gun in a vise. When I unscrewed the gas plug this is what I found:

post-6253-1221371740_thumb.jpg

After scraping all the crud out:

post-6253-1221371748_thumb.jpg

Or take a look at the gas puck, notice how the first ring is completely packed solid with dense carbon fouling:

post-6253-1221371757_thumb.jpg

A quick hit with some gun scrubber and a cleaning tool peeled it off like an old crush washer:

post-6253-1221371764_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help on this, that was exactly the kind of tip I was hoping for. Now I'll just poke out the gas ports and consider it ready to go. :smoke:

post-6253-1221371740_thumb.jpg

After scraping all the crud out:

post-6253-1221371748_thumb.jpg

Or take a look at the gas puck, notice how the first ring is completely packed solid with dense carbon fouling:

post-6253-1221371757_thumb.jpg

A quick hit with some gun scrubber and a cleaning tool peeled it off like an old crush washer:

post-6253-1221371764_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help on this, that was exactly the kind of tip I was hoping for. Now I'll just poke out the gas ports and consider it ready to go. :smoke:

(High-brass still works like a champ.)

I think thats all we needed to hear.

An excellent demonstration of the saiga's reliability, sir.

keep up the good work

Edited by ReverendFranz
Did the threads get hurt any on the tube or the plug?

Nope, the threads are intact. Just gummed up.

Insert a sturdy wooden dowel, 1/2" diameter or larger, from the breech end and tap the dowel with a hammer to knock out the "hockey puck". This works well, I also spray some CLP on the "hockey puck", too. I got this suggestion from the Tromix website.

Yeah thats how I always get the puck out. The problem I had was that I couldn't get the regulator to move at all with the supplied tool. It required something with a little more leverage.

The best part is... even though it looked THAT SHITTY... it still fired fine, didnt it?!?!?

:smoke:

Hells yeah! It wouldn't cycle birdshot on postion 1, but all high brass rounds were functioning 100%. As far as shotguns go, this things as rugged as it gets! :up::devil::smoke:

The threads on my gas reg. get chunked up pretty quick, even with just a little shooting. I use antiseize on the threads but found out that if you get wild with it, it burns and leaves carbon in the exposed areas that gets into the threads on the way out. It has helped on mine, i'm just saying go easy on it.

hey - there is this little gas leak hole, i guess you would call it.....under the left side of the handguard on the gas block, that you can shoot some stuff up in there (nitro breaker) to deal with unscrewing your gas plug. Also, CHAOS makes a part that eliminates this, completely.

hell, you can literally use a Chaos quick cleanout, pull the center out of it, fire a round or two, and put it back together, and im sure it will work just fine after that.

thank you for the pics!

I just cleaned out both the S-12 and S-410 that I have. The 12 looked as bad as yours here, and the .410 was ridiculous. It had a 1/8"+ solid wafer of carbon. It broke when I poked it out from behind though, so a picture wouldn't be as funny as it could have been. I kept it in pieces anyway, I might get un-lazy and take a picture.