Pro-Mag Saiga 12 Mags

Ok guys, here's the first look at Pro-Mag's S12 mags. They said they'll be on the market in a few weeks. This could mean October or December, I don't know.

I know some of you have reservations about Pro-Mags, I own a few 7.62x39 Saiga Pro-mags and have had no issues with them. Let's be fair and see if they function and hold up well before anyone replies negatively.

Thanks.

post-6947-1222107743_thumb.jpg

The first thing I noticed:

The Floor Plate attaches to the outside of the mag, and you can see the 5rd floor-plate spot about half way up.

Looks like this means we could make a +2 or +3 mag extension for these rather easily (If there are no function issues) and turn a 5rd into an 8rd or 10rd into a 13rd.

I haven't personally been thrilled with the quality (or lack thereof) of Promag's other products, and their reputation in the marketplace ain't all that great. That said, having options is a good thing. Their external floorplate design lends itself to tinkering (though I would prefer an 8-rounder to start with, but they didn't ask me), and depending on how far the eventual "street" price is below the stated MSRP, they might provide an option at a lower price point than AGP as well. All that is assuming they actually work, which has been the sticking point with Promag in the past.

Nice to see some competition in the market, but I have to agree, I will wait to see how the run. The world is full of cheap high capacity magazines that just don't work.

I hope that these are good mags.

It says they got a lifetime warranty, so that says something, doesn't it? Although it probably only covers defective workmanship, not necessarily functionality. Remember, competition is always good for the consumer. Think of all the Saiga 12 mag options we have now: Izhmash, Taiwanese, AGP, ProMag, MD Arms, and maybe Chaos or whatever else is in R&D.

Edited by zakmatthews
It says they got a lifetime warranty, so that says something, doesn't it? Although it probably only covers defective workmanship, not necessarily functionality. Remember, competition is always good for the consumer. Think of all the Saiga 12 mag options we have now: Izhmash, Taiwanese, AGP, ProMag, MD Arms, and maybe Chaos or whatever else is in R&D.

I am not sure the "life time warranty" is worth anything. After all; USA mags offer a life time warranty and their mags are infamous for their lack of quailty.

Edited by Chiroone

I am not sure the "life time warranty" is worth anything. After all; USA mags offer a life time warranty and their mags are infamous for their lack of quailty.

If you bought a magazine for $15 and it is defective, are you really going to spend $5 shipping + return shipping for another replacement that doesn't work either? Then your mag that doesn't work costs $25+!

I'll wait to hear what people say about these before buying any.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

If you bought a magazine for $15 and it is defective, are you really going to spend $5 shipping + return shipping for another replacement that doesn't work either? Then your mag that doesn't work costs $25+!

I'll wait to hear what people say about these before buying any.

the mag cost is $42

Exactly. It's worthless if they just replace nonfunctional crap with MORE nonfunctional crap! Now, if the mag doesn't work properly and they are willing to issue a refund of the purchase price, that would be something.

They might work. They probably won't. Might isn't worth $45 to me. I've used two Pro-Mags in two different guns that are 100% with good mags (Sig P225 and an AK) and they've performed horribly. In my P225, I couldn't get through an 8-round magazine without two or three FTFs. Pro-Mag needs to hire

for their next ad campaign.

I will buy one and give it a go. Remember that MSRP on the AGPs is 60, and you can get them in lots of 10 at $42 a piece, shipped. I would expect to see these at or under $35 within a month of their release.

Also, ProMag has distribution contracts with lots and lots of companies, so these should be more readily available than AGPs are. If they do their homework and read this page, they will bring out 3 and 5 round extensions soon. the mags were obviously designed with this in mind.

They might work. They probably won't. Might isn't worth $45 to me. I've used two Pro-Mags in two different guns that are 100% with good mags (Sig P225 and an AK) and they've performed horribly. In my P225, I couldn't get through an 8-round magazine without two or three FTFs. Pro-Mag needs to hire
for their next ad campaign.

+1

I've been burned by promag before.

I've got two brand new Glock mags from them, neither one will even chamber a round. I also have one of their Remington mags that will not go more than 5 or 6 rounds without a FTF.

They are also working on Mags for the Saiga 20. Let's be fair, I have some AGP mags and one out of 3 i bought had a sticky follower near the top. I fixed it with some sand paper, does this mean AGPs suck? NO, I love them, but they are not without some flaws. Anyone remember when they first came out? WE haven't even shot these yet and already you disregard them. They may function just as well as the AGPs and give us an alternate. Plus if their 12s work, the 20s may too. Can we be positive on a new product instead of instantly negative?

Thanks.

...Let's be fair and see if they function and hold up well before anyone replies negatively.

Like the man said, lets be fair and give ProMag a chance with these Saiga magazines before the negativity flies :big_smile:

Oh, I hope they work well also! I am glad to see other manufactures jumping into the Saiga Market!

On the other hand, as someone that has bought some of their past failures, I hold a license to make comment on their past reputation.

They are welcome to make a full refund of my money if they would like to buy back that license. <_<

Some of us have already been, where you are anxious to go. :rolleyes: