Saiga 12 vs Mossberg 500 12/20

Up to now I have spent most of my time on the range firing SKS rifles. I decided I wanted a shotgun for home defense and fun at the range. I have been looking at a Mossberg 500 12/20. Then recently at the range I saw someone firing a Saiga 12. I was really impressed!!! Although I did not get to fire the Saiga, I started looking at Saiga 12s on line. That is how I found this forum. Now my question. It seems that a Saiga 12 will cost me about twice, maybe a little more, what a Mossberg 500 will. Is it worth the extra dollars? I can guess what your answers will be, especially considering this is a Saiga forum, but I am looking for why it is better. Thanks for your help.

Reasons other then mag feed the 10 rd mags 20 rd drums AK format would be future value. It's a got choice and if another ban comes on you will be kicking yourself in the ass and with end up buying one in the end. But warning one is not enuff it is very habit forming. :devil:

What are you looking for? A standard home defense weapon for low cost or a cool semi-auto magazine fed shotgun that costs twice as much?

For just home defense, I would probably choose the Mossberg if I didn't need much more than that.

But for overall coolness, I would probably choose the Saiga. The saiga is close to the ultimate range toy.

What do you want and not want out of a shotgun?

When I started looking at shotguns, it was for home defense. I do, however, like to go to the range and shoot for fun. After seeing a Saiga 12, it was like a light coming on and hearing a voice say, 'You have got to have one of those.' I am still interested in home defense, but the Saiga 12 just looked like fun. I am now trying to convince myself to spend the extra dollars. If I do get a Saiga, I hope it is not as addictive as my SKS habit, but I suspect it will be!!

I would say get the Saiga 12 now while they are around at fair prices. These shotguns are imported they could dry up again. Get the Mossberg later....they are always here and always cheap in price. I have both but prefer the Mossberg 500 with PG for Home Defense but the Saiga 12 is my favorite & its alotta fun at the range.

When I started looking at shotguns, it was for home defense. I do, however, like to go to the range and shoot for fun. After seeing a Saiga 12, it was like a light coming on and hearing a voice say, 'You have got to have one of those.' I am still interested in home defense, but the Saiga 12 just looked like fun. I am now trying to convince myself to spend the extra dollars. If I do get a Saiga, I hope it is not as addictive as my SKS habit, but I suspect it will be!!

I had about the same exact experience about 3 years ago........... Saw my first S-12 on this forum !!! Then, I saw my first converted S-12 on the TROMIX website !!!! I was toast at that point............... Now have 2 TROMIX S-12's, and my Mossy and 870 sit in the safe with moth-nests in both of 'em................. (I have 2 S-12's....why would I fool with a Mossy or an 870 ??????)

Kill two birds with one stone !!! Nothing better for home defense than an S-12, and nothing more fun to shoot at the range either !!!!! The point about getting them while you can is a valid one, as well !!!!

Do yourself a huge favor and get the S-12 !!!!

I say get the saiga first because (knock on wood) it might be banned later. If "he" gets in office it could be 8 more years until you get another chance to own one. Pump shotguns will be safe for the time being. A Saiga 12 will function fine as a HD shotgun and you can always swap it out for a pump later. I'd go for an older 870 Police if I was looking for a pump shotgun, but most will work fine for HD.

Up to now I have spent most of my time on the range firing SKS rifles. I decided I wanted a shotgun for home defense and fun at the range. I have been looking at a Mossberg 500 12/20. Then recently at the range I saw someone firing a Saiga 12. I was really impressed!!! Although I did not get to fire the Saiga, I started looking at Saiga 12s on line. That is how I found this forum. Now my question. It seems that a Saiga 12 will cost me about twice, maybe a little more, what a Mossberg 500 will. Is it worth the extra dollars? I can guess what your answers will be, especially considering this is a Saiga forum, but I am looking for why it is better. Thanks for your help.

WTF? Where are you asking this question?

Ok, so now I am convinced that I should buy a Saiga 12. Actually, I figured it would turn out this way! I used the argument with my wife that if a certain presidential candidate wins, a Saiga 12 may no longer be available. I am always buy a Mossberg 500 later.

Now that I want to buy a Saiga 12, where is the best and/or cheapest place to look?

Thanks

I had about the same exact experience about 3 years ago........... Saw my first S-12 on this forum !!! Then, I saw my first converted S-12 on the TROMIX website !!!! I was toast at that point............... Now have 2 TROMIX S-12's, and my Mossy and 870 sit in the safe with moth-nests in both of 'em................. (I have 2 S-12's....why would I fool with a Mossy or an 870 ??????)

Kill two birds with one stone !!! Nothing better for home defense than an S-12, and nothing more fun to shoot at the range either !!!!! The point about getting them while you can is a valid one, as well !!!!

Do yourself a huge favor and get the S-12 !!!!

Thats a big +10, These things rock!!!

With the options and configuration you can do, sky the limit! :super:

The question at its most basic is very similar to the revolver vs. semi auto one.

Strictly for home defense, the most simple and reliable platform is probably the most preferable.

In order, an old "rabbit roller" may be your best bet, IE, a hammered double barrel shotgun.

You got two shots, pretty much guaranteed to go bang.

Add more complexity, and you go to the pump system, one capable of chambering 3" but using 2 3/4" rounds, as most LE does, either 870's or a 500, 590 etc.

Sure, misfires or jams may occur, not commonly, but stuff does happen, its just the trade off for more power in the same sized package.

Go to a semi auto system, either gas as in the 1100s or 1187's, or gas piston as with the saiga, and you are just stepping up the chances for a malfunction.

The 1100-87 uses gas seals, and O rings, which can, and do, fail over time, the Saiga, is an all permanent (well, within reason), "Hard" system, its going to require cleaning, but not regular changes of parts like the Remingtons. And, it has a minimally adjustable gas system, unlike the Rems, which make it more reliable with low brass loads.

The Saiga is definitely a better choice, but, at current market prices, its more expensive than the 1100-87s.

However, as has been noted in many other threads, it too has its foibles, some mags feed this shell, and not that (surefire 410's, not feeding steel russian ammo), and some mags and drums are built to use certain lengths of ammo, (US vs Euro, etc).

While a derived from the AK-47, its NOT an AK-47, at least in terms of out of the box reliability.

Its a fun platform, but not in my opinion the best choice for defending yourself in an unexpected stress situation, especially, if you DONT have alot of firearm skills, which you acknowledge in your first post.

A cheaper, more reliable gun is your best choice, because the option is NO gun, until you can afford a Saiga.

Do you want to keep riding the bus to work, or do you want to buy a cheap, reliable "beater" car that gets you back and forth to work on your schedule, or, do you hold out, and save your money to buy a Cadillac in a few years?

Its really the same type of question.

What are you looking for? A standard home defense weapon for low cost or a cool semi-auto magazine fed shotgun that costs twice as much?

lol Wise words.

I've owned a old 18" S&W pump 12 gauge for about the last 10 years. When someone directed me to the S12 (on the web) I ordered one without ever even handling one. It was the best gun choice I've ever made!

Honestly it's not my HD weapon though. Neither is the pump gun. I keep a pistol around for that.

Edited by hobbyshooter

Fuck it! Go with the Mossy. jk... I sold my 590A1 for a brand new Russian Tromix work of art. It's pretty Fuckin' obvious the endless reasons to go w/ a Saiga. Then after you get the S12 you should look at other calibers. ...or not. Snooze you lose.

It will cost you more than twice. An m500 used, can be found for $150. I bought one for $125 at a gun shop. I sold the stock and for the same amount purchased a syntetic pistol grip and forearm. In the end it's a cheap and easy to hide zombie killer.

Right now on gunbroker, you can get a saiga 12 19" for $550. "Buy it Now". I just did this as I had sold my recent converted build for a down payment on a truck, and made a bit of a profit. I spent $80 on conversion parts and will now have what I just recently sold again.

Now with that said. I teach a firearms class at the company I work for. We use the M500 as it's the Navy standard. At the end of the class I like to show some different types of shotguns. In a SHTF scenario, you never know. You may need to pick up an enemy weapon, so you should know whats out there and what it can do. I always show the Saiga 12 and say something like "If it were up to me we would carry this."

So in short, if were up to me... Saiga 12 all the way. If you plan on shooting only the 12ga ammo you pick up off the ground, by all means get a 500A, but otherwise, the Saiga 12 is the best, and most "holy shit" 12GA you can get.

Edited by talkcombloc

My wife loves to go shooting her .22mag and 9mm but is not a knowledgeable gun person when it comes to operating any other gun. I need to keep it simple for her so I showed her how to operate my mossberg, too many steps for her to remember in the heat of the moment. When I showed her how to operate the S12 she liked that better, saftey off - chamber a round - pull the trigger until the gun stops shooting. For that reason I/she likes the S12.