S-12 vs Rem vs Mossy

Someone thinks a combat prepped Rem 870 or Mossy pump can out shoot a Saiga.

I wouldn't pay that much for one.

While no doubt a fun banger with the larger mags, tactically, they are not all that and a bag of chips.

A combat pump is ultimately more versatile in actual use and the best ones are better handling too.

That one can get an entirely competent pump shotgun for less than three hundred, and factory tricked out ones for about five hundred, makes current Saiga-12 prices a deal breaker.

Take a bone stock Saiga-12 at about $600, throw in just three mags at $50.00 per, and you are getting into pimped out by specialty shop Remmie or Mossberg shotgun territory.

After my glib zombie killing statement

I know you are making funny, but facing anything but innumerable zombies, a properly equipped Mossie 500/590 or Remmie 870 is going to lay more than adequate waste to the recipients.

Thoughts?

I own 2 of the three, plus an 11-87. The saiga-12 wins hands down for controllability, target acquisition, recoil, and reloads. Sounds like you've run afoul of either a Fudd or a fanboy. As far a price goes, you get what you pay for, and the Saiga-12, especiall as reworked by Tromix, is head and shoulders above anything I have used, and I've used many shotguns.

I carried a Mossy 590 for years.

I still have it but I carry my S-12 now.

I don't know what armchair he is the commander of, but in my very real world of crack dealers and other various thugs, the S-12 is my tactical choice.

Edited by Will

The only advantage I see of the Rem/Win is that you can get lower with it in prone. On the other hand, trying to pump a shotgun from the prone is a real PITA. Prone, the 11-87 wins. Everything else...Saiga baby. Very accurate, stays on target, and quick reloads.

Alright I'm not trying to start a pissing match here but what would you expect you're replies to be on a Saiga-12 Forum...

That being said, I gotta throw a lot of lead to hit anything...and its easier to insert a fresh mag then it is to stuff 8 rounds up the pipe on my 590...so I'm going with the S-12

Alright I'm not trying to start a pissing match here but what would you expect you're replies to be on a Saiga-12 Forum...

That being said, I gotta throw a lot of lead to hit anything...and its easier to insert a fresh mag then it is to stuff 8 rounds up the pipe on my 590...so I'm going with the S-12

Thats all great to hear. I had my heart set on a Rem Wingmaster 12ga. that is until someone tol' me about the S-12. Placed an order on Sat (yesterday). prolly be 2 weeks till I get 'er......gonna seem like a long time I'm sure.....

The Saiga 12 does pretty much run the show unless ur one of the few that own the Striker12/streetsweeper 12 shot drum feed shotgun!! dont let me wrong u can never go wrong with a pump it will always function no matter what but for speed and looks and light recoil saiga 12 is were u wanna start :super: i started with a maverick 88 18" barrel 5 shot stocked for 100.00 then modified it with a knoxx sidewinder drum kit and top folding stock sold it for 450.00(wish i didnt :unsure: now the kits run freakin 650 :dollar: its insane) then bought a mossy 500 cruiser 8 shot for 225 new in box added just a front grip and a knoxx spec opps stock sold that one for 400 then with that money got a benelli m3 pump/auto then i even traded that one for the saiga 12 NIB!! i thought i was done but know i want a remington marine magnum to start a new project (dont worry i'm not gunna trade or sell the saiga) i just want a nickel shotty wish they made special edition saiga 12 marine coated models! so in conclusion the saiga will make an awsome shotty but it wouldnt hurt to have a bad ass pump as well.....wanted the valtro pm5 but dont look like anyone will sell them or can get them :cryss:

Well, I'm a new Saiga owner and a longtime Mossberg fan. One thing that is real nice about a tube fed pump is that it can be continually topped off at any time for as long as you can get a hold of a loose round. A full mag change in the Saiga is much quicker then the pump, but that only goes on for as long as you've got full mags. Once you're out of those, reloads will probably be slower.

I got my Saiga a bit too late to do any goose hunting this year, but I'll see how it does next year. Maybe some turkey too.

Another annoying thing about the Saiga is that there are no (for all practical purposes) two round magazines for them. You gotta block the five rounder and deal with carrying around a bunch of empty space.

Well, I'm a new Saiga owner and a longtime Mossberg fan. One thing that is real nice about a tube fed pump is that it can be continually topped off at any time for as long as you can get a hold of a loose round. A full mag change in the Saiga is much quicker then the pump, but that only goes on for as long as you've got full mags. Once you're out of those, reloads will probably be slower.

I got my Saiga a bit too late to do any goose hunting this year, but I'll see how it does next year. Maybe some turkey too.

Another annoying thing about the Saiga is that there are no (for all practical purposes) two round magazines for them. You gotta block the five rounder and deal with carrying around a bunch of empty space.

Comrade, we had a shotgun match speed stage a while back RonSwin will back me up on this there were 6 targets, at the buzzer the shooter would grab rounds from a box load the weapon and shoot the targets. Saiga were competitive and most Saiga shooters beat most tube feeders at their own game, we had to load a mag put in the gun and shoot.

The ten round magazine is abit long, another tactical shotgun match I had to shoot sideways to get low enough to shoot through the ports it woked just fine.

I don't hunt but would not worry about blocking a 5 to make it a two round mag with one in the pipe.

Hands down no question the Saiga 12 is the most effective combat shotgun that a citizen can get. There are a few made of Unobtainanable that may be better.

Two words.....keyboard commando

chances are he either can't afford one or even find one and he is jealous of anyone who is getting or has one. He is trying desperatly to convince himself that he doesn't want a Saiga so the letdown of not being able to get one is easier on his ego.

I second what Tom said.

Well in that case he can go over the Shotgunworld.com and hang out in the tactical shotgun/HD section they are all about "tube feeders" if he really wants to feel bad he can go to Warriortalk.com and listen to what Gabe and his followers have to say there.

Edited by topmaul

Beating a dead horse here, but i've got a mossberg 500, mildly tricked out, and I would take a unconverted Saiga 12 over it.

Too many people befor me to care to mention all the names that made good points(including the fact that your asking a saiga forum) to name them all for a +1 so i'll just say this...

Saiga 12ga +1

(but by means you've all taken the hard part of making the proper points for me. You know who you are, good on you!)