Ultra light SHTF saiga Rifle

I am going to build a x39 and want it to be as lightweight and multipurpose as possible and have been considering parts and function and realized I have little experience and YOU GUYS HAVE A LOT!

So my idea of an ultralight Saiga x39 (yeah I know a wood fore-grip and an under folder is going to be about as light as it gets and compact too, this may be muy route) I wanted to get your input.

Probably start off with a 16" bbl x39 (if I can find one at a decent price) and do something like this one pictured below,.....

I think there is a lighter side rail mount and scope, and fore grip for that matter, that stock is sweet super-light, but doesn't fold,..

Any thoughts??

post-9483-1231609154_thumb.jpg

I have also been researching camo paint jobs,

These are some of the the one's I like,..(that aren't posted here in the forum already, that I know of)

Wow... I'm not real big on a lot of the camouflaged guns that I see, but I do like the looks of that one. :up:

post-9483-1231610629_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1231610639_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1231610650_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1231610657_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1231610685_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1231610705_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1231610718_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1231610730_thumb.png

To keep it as light as possible;

1) keep optics off the rifle

2) dont bother with muzzle devices, unless using a slant brake.

3) The wire side-folding stock is the lightest and handiest stock for this application.

4) AK-100 style front furniture is the lightest IMO.

5) Keep all M4 mall-ninja add-ons off the rifle.

6) use a cord carry strap rather than a regular one. If you dont like this option, use a thin nylon one over a heavier cotton carry strap.

7) Cammo paint jobs add weight to rifles, as each color of paint if actually added to the whole rifle in layers.

8) You can leave the cleaning rod off.

9) BUT THE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT in weight is to use 20rnd mags instead of 30.

Interesting concept, I wonder how close to a "scout rifle" one could get with an AK?

I agree with most of the above.

I'd also remove the side optic mount and drop a few ounces. If I had to have a rail I'd use one of Cobra's mounted forward.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight of the paint.

Maybe even go with the Chinese 5 rd mags.

What else could be done to lower weight?

How much does a 16" 7.62 weigh anyway?

If you want an ultra light AK, I'd choose a different caliber, specificaly, .223 or better yet 5.45. build it from the ground up and shave weight down on each individual part. You can file down the edges on the front trunion (not the locking lugs!), drill a few extra holes in the rear trunion/ shorten the tang and redrill the second screw hole. You can reduce the bulk of the rear sight block with a few lightening cuts. Cut and weld the sight tower to the gas block, this reduces weight and brings the center of gravity closer to the body, there by reducing the "felt weight" as well as acutal weight, then cut the barrel down to 12.5" and use a perforated tube flash hider to bring the length to legal requirements. Narrow the trigger guard, use a short style screw for the PG, like the tapco s.a.w. style pg's use, use a synthetic buttstock of warsaw pact length or shorter, bare gas tube with no upper HG. cut a bho notch in the saftey. If you shave weight down from each part, it will add up to a very light rifle; but the biggest weight savings comes from 5.45/223 ammo and polymer/bakelite mags over 7.62x39mm and steel mags.

Edited by JK-47

I like the idea of a complete custom build, but will most likely wait on that till I have more experience. I am pretty set on the 7.62 round because I think it performs a greater variety of tasks better than .223 even though it is weighs more.

I like cutting down the bbl and putting on a flash hider to make min legal length,. that's cool I have a gunsmith friend that can do that.

Interesting idea about a front hand guard,.. nothing, or perhaps 1/2 of something existing,...

Magazine and bullet weight is a given for let's say 120 rounds, a nice "don't leave home with out it,.." amount

This gas tube looks like No Top hand gaurd

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?...products_id=219

Will it fit a saiga x39??

Not with those metal mags they're not. Besides those yugos are built on an RPK reciever. Bulkier front trunnion, thicker reciever sheet. An RPK reciever is definitely not something i'd choose for lightness.

Edited by Agias

JK 47,. THANKS, this is good stuff, I like the idea of cutting the front sight down and welding it to the gas tube,..

("Cut and weld the sight tower to the gas block, this reduces weight and brings the center of gravity closer to the body, there by reducing the "felt weight" as well as actual weight, then cut the barrel down to 12.5" and use a perforated tube flash hider to bring the length to legal requirements.

Narrow the trigger guard, use a short style screw for the PG, like the tapco s.a.w. style pg's use, use a synthetic buttstock of warsaw pact length or shorter, bare gas tube with no upper HG.

cut a bho notch in the saftey. If you shave weight down from each part")

But seriously forget about Zastava rifles.

+1 on the Yugo Underfolders...they are heavier than the Saiga. Lightweight & Compact for transportation, folding stock is a must have.

Saiga x39

Tromix Receiver Back Plate instead of the Ace receiver block

Tromix Stock with Folding Mech.

Poly HGs maybe K-Var (a vert grip most likely weighs the same so leave it off) better off with HG set than Vert grip.

Loose the FSB & use an Ace clamp-on Front sight (mounts to the gas block)

I would think you should use a Flash Hider...so have the barrel cut & FH welded on to bring the rifle back to 16". The amount you cut off most likely will weigh more than the FH.

Whichever PG that feels good to you

Use Bulgy or Polish Poly Mags

Edited by Norty

I wonder if the AK104 style FS/GB shaves any weight from a normal separate FSB and GB?The polymer stocks are pretty light and if you need an optic mount for a dot sight there are to different designs that replace the rear sight leaf with a mounting point for a dot sight.I shot my AK104 Saiga clone today and it was surprisingly light after shooting my 308 and my buddy's tricked out,rail forend, trijicon 7.62 gun.How light does it really have to be and how important is it?If you want really light build a Krink with an extended barrel

AKS-74UL2modify.jpg

This is the lightest AK with at least a 16" barrel

Edited by SOPMOD

Or, get some dumbells and start pumping some iron. I am serious, some light weight (20-35 Lbs) that you lift and play with a few times a week will do a lot to improve your perception of weight and ability to carry it and hold it study. I mean there is nothing wrong with your plan, I am just suggesting an alternative and physical conditioning is important.

I carried a Browning BAR (the WWII vintage) for a short period of my life on a temp assignment with two BAR belts, plus all my other kit. Let me tell you about a heavy rifle!

And hell no, I am not THAT old, they still use that thing around the world!

I am going to build a x39 and want it to be as lightweight and multipurpose as possible and have been considering parts and function and realized I have little experience and YOU GUYS HAVE A LOT!

So my idea of an ultralight Saiga x39 (yeah I know a wood fore-grip and an under folder is going to be about as light as it gets and compact too, this may be muy route) I wanted to get your input.

Probably start off with a 16" bbl x39 (if I can find one at a decent price) and do something like this one pictured below,.....

I think there is a lighter side rail mount and scope, and fore grip for that matter, that stock is sweet super-light, but doesn't fold,..

Any thoughts??

Hey if you like i can weigh this gun for you I have since replaced the front fore grip with a Tapco part for one more compliant part.

The butt stock is still made from a company out of Texas the name escapes me but if you are interested i can find it for you i paid 20 or something like that

a few years ago

AMD-65 is pretty light in 7.62x39 if you decide to go that route. Loud as hell with that brake too. :D

+1 on the AMD. Wire stock short barrel no frills. A couple wraps of 550 paracord on the stock laced from the middle to the back so it closes and you get a little cheek weld. You never know when you could use about 10' of cord in an emergency.

I have thought about the possibility of casting items like the RSB,FSB,Forend Retainer,Gas tube,top cover from Aluminum just because it would be easier than steel but it would be lighter as well.Maybe someone needs to build an ultralight AK(keep critical parts steel)?I would love to see a comped ultralight AK104 clone!

Hey guys, Its the challenge ya know! Can we build an AK in 7.62 and keep the weight below 6 lb? Technically for a scout rifle it should be under 6 lb with a forward mounted LER scope. Ammo not included. this thread has me thinking about buying an AMD65 kit from J&G just to see what I could end up with. And I have better things to do, like finishing my S-12's. Oh well, onward & upward!

Edit for damn typo's

Edited by HillBilly2