Police offer I-90 shootout details

ALBANY - After two days of confusion, state police are talking about the terrifying incident that forced drivers to flee from their cars.

In an unusual move, police showed reporters video of the shooting taken from a camera inside the patrol car. It's a crucial piece of evidence, but state police wanted everybody to see just how easily a routine traffic stop can turn into a potentially deadly situation.

It all started shortly before noon Saturday when a Connecticut taxicab was pulled over by a state trooper for speeding on Interstate 90. Suddenly the back window of the taxi was blown out by a bullet and then another. Then one was fired through the windshield of the trooper's car, leaving a spider web of shattered glass.

"We don't know why Darrel Brown opened fire on us yet," Troop G Commander Maj. William Sprague said.

Luckily for the trooper and the cab driver, both were already several feet away from the gunman.

Police say Brown hired the cab to take him from Hartford, Connecticut to the Albany area. Sprague says the cab driver was going 84 mph in a 65 mph zone. So the trooper pulled him over.

"While talking with the cab driver he observed Darrel Brown pull an assault rifle out of a duffle bag," Sprague described.

"The trooper maintained excellent awareness. Got himself and the cabbie back," the major added.

Police say Brown fired at least 28 shots from a semi-automatic rifle they now have in evidence.

Six members from the state police and one officer from East Greenbush fired back.

During the height of all this police managed to close the highway between exits 9 and 10. Motorists were evacuated from their vehicles and ran for their lives as gunfire continued erupting.

Sprague says Brown eventually took a bullet to the head and collapsed onto the ground. That ended the shootout, but there are still a lot of questions only Brown can answer.

"I don't know if we'll ever be able to talk to him. He was shot multiple times, including a head shot that inflicted traumatic injury on him," Sprague said.

Of course one of those questions is why he was he headed to Albany with a rifle in his bag. Police wouldn't say if Brown has family or friends in the area.

Thankfully, the Trooper nor any innocent bystanders were hurt. But this is more "ammo" for the anti's and a possible AWB, being that the asshole used an AK.

You can see the video from the Trooper's dash cam here: http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S740587.shtml?cat=300

Here's a different view of the shooting, after the shooter exited the cab, and continued to pop off rounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN5bK0vRg9o

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Fucking cocksucker, i bet that's a mug shot of the dumbass and one look and you can see he looks like a stupid fucker. That's all we need with the new administration coming in and guess what it was in Albany NY. Great we will be hearing from Bloomberg now. I hate people like this and am glad they took his ass out who cares what he was going to do he's fucking dead now or else the taxpayers would have paid for a lengthy trial and how he wasn't being treated fairly.

I'm sure showing this video had nothing to do with it being in New York. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I have a totally different "take."

Criminals will always be able to get their hands on firearms - PERIOD.

Whether this guy actually got his firearm legally is beside the point. Criminals can get guns and if they're going to commit a crime, what difference does an anti-gun law make? The difference is that it prevents law-abiding people from protecting themselves against people like this.

I don't see how this gives anti-gun people any ammo at all.

People like this will always be able to arm themselves.

Do YOU want to be able to protect yourself against criminals like this or not?

I'm sure showing this video had nothing to do with it being in New York. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Huh?

I have a totally different "take."

Criminals will always be able to get their hands on firearms - PERIOD.

Whether this guy actually got his firearm legally is beside the point. Criminals can get guns and if they're going to commit a crime, what difference does an anti-gun law make? The difference is that it prevents law-abiding people from protecting themselves against people like this.

I don't see how this gives anti-gun people any ammo at all.

People like this will always be able to arm themselves.

Do YOU want to be able to protect yourself against criminals like this or not?

You're "preaching to the choir", as they say.

We (law abiding gun owners) know that the Clinton ban didn't, and any possible future ban won't, keep any weapons out of criminals hands.

It gives the anti's ammo, because this shitbag will be lumped in the same group as us.

And to answer your last question: Of course. Why do you ask?

Sad story, but the truth is that these firearms are seldom used in crime.

Also at the time the founders included the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights, most men had rifles every bit as powerful as the military. There is not reason to suppress a right because a few might abuse it.

I'm sure the "anti's" will try to use this as fodder but it doesn't make a very compelling case for their argument that these weapons can easily inflict massive casualties. 28 shots and nobody hit. I have the feeling that there a few ant-gun extremists that were slightly disappointed in that fact.

""Why was he traveling with that rifle in a bag? I asked police if he had any family in the Albany area, they would not say."

Seriously?? When did it become suspicious to travel with a gun?

Acer"

This winter break i had to sit around and listen to whether or not i should be arrested... for having ammo in my truck. And the gun wasnt even in there.

""Why was he traveling with that rifle in a bag? I asked police if he had any family in the Albany area, they would not say."

Acer"

This winter break i had to sit around and listen to whether or not i should be arrested... for having ammo in my truck. .303 british, and the gun wasnt even in there.

Acer"

This winter break i had to sit around and listen to 3 patrolmen and a k9 as to whether or not i should be arrested... for having ammo in my truck. And the gun wasnt even in there.

Edited by shryke300

Criminals will get guns no matter what is banned. Banning guns will remove the right of the innocent to protect themselves with capable and comparable weapons. I also know that it is the dirty few that usually fuck it up for the whole bunch and unfortunately this will probably be another soundbite story used to fuel the anti-gun fire.

One bad guy off the streets and the LEO all walked away, so still a happy ending

If you look at the Trooper's window, 4 shots hit it, but only 3 holes penetrated (0:45)... I thought that was strange until I realized that the ammo on the table with the gun is .223(1:36) . . . I Laughed.

Hahaha, that is a huge complaint! A leaf, a window, human skin, any of these things and more will deflect one of those rounds.

Sad story, but the truth is that these firearms are seldom used in crime.

Also at the time the founders included the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights, most men had rifles every bit as powerful as the military. There is not reason to suppress a right because a few might abuse it.

+1

Acer"

This winter break i had to sit around and listen to whether or not i should be arrested... for having ammo in my truck. .303 british, and the gun wasnt even in there.

I'll ask where were you?

Florida. in polk county. i was leaving a friends apartment and had a folding chair in a bag, threw it in my truck and got lit up with the blue lights. they wanted to know what was in the bag, and then what was in my truck, etc. i have nothing to hide and didnt want to wait for a k9 unit(though in the end it didnt matter) to show up so they could try to find "suspicion". One of the first guys found the ammo, and started quizing me on it. when the k9 showed up, he held up the ammo "Look what i found!" and the guy told him to arrest me. luckily, they did not. its bs though, b/c in florida there are not regulations regarding ammo and a gun just has to be in a case.