The smell of an Ak parts kit

As I pulled my latest cold war era demil out of the thick plastic bag that they all seem to be wrapped up in, I immediately noticed something familiar. Thats when I realized that this was one of the unique things I like about a surplus AK that is different than getting a new store bought rifle...

That they all have a common odor. (I am sure that there are more than a few of you out there that know what I'm talking about) It's a bit hard to describe to those that haven't witnessed it before. Kind of like that far corner of the gunshow where the old retiree sits selling old surplus military uniforms and gear.

I suppose it's combination of musty seasoned wood, burned sulfur, cosmoline, and only God knows what else that comes from their previous life behind the rusted Iron Curtain. I imagine most people would find it only marginally acceptable at best. But for me, it's become so closely associated in my mind with the anticipation of inspecting my latest project, that I have actually become conditioned to love it. Makes the modern steel and polymer construction of my Saiga seem almost cold, sterile, and souless in comparison.

or maybe it's just all the fumes from some toxic combloc shellac that is actually giving me a killer buzz. :wacko:

I suppose I should pull my head out of the plastic bag now.

I feel dizzy...

Anyone know the number for 911?

<THUD>

Edited by Thor's Hammer
I hear you man.. I love the Smell too.. I also love the smell of an old car that runs Leaded Gas.. MMMmm

I love the smell of an old Kawasaki 750 2 stroke running Castrol and AvGas cut with Methanol! :P

Oh, and the smell of napalm in the morning!

Edited by Azrial

Reminds me of USMC bootcamp back in '95 and the overwhelming smell of CLP the first time doing weapons maintenance.

I love the smell of CLP in the morning.

The smell of high test through a well tuned high compression 4-stroke air-cooled motor is one I really like. There's nothing else like it (except maybe old radial aircraft engines).

• 2 weeks later...
When I got my kits I opened them up to check them out. I got a chunk of SOMETHING in my EYE! It burned forever but I eventually managed to scrape it out...now I'm infected with AK...

Sweet!! Now all you need is a blast or two of Gamma Radiation..

Then this would likely happen..

leicheoberschutze.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I hear you man.. I love the Smell too.. I also love the smell of an old car that runs Leaded Gas.. MMMmm

Oh, and the smell of napalm in the morning!

What? Somebody mention the smell of napalm in the morning.... grinning-smiley-018.gif