Big Problem

So I finally got my baby completed heres the pic:

post-15011-1234389095_thumb.jpg

The big problem is this. The muzzel brake when screwed on is at an angle!

It appears that the barrel was threaded at an angle and when the brake is installed its TOTALLY noticeable and probably dangerous.

post-15011-1234389156_thumb.jpg

post-15011-1234389167_thumb.jpg

If you look at this pic you can see the top right of the barrel is fat while the bottom left is thin

post-15011-1234389140_thumb.jpg

WTF is going on with this?!!! Is it fixable?? Any suggestions or ideas?? This is really bumming me out after spending all this time and money

on getting it just right to find something that I dont think I can fix.

Thanks

19" factory threads.

I think its the barrel but I dont know. I'm going to try and find another brake and test but I dont think it will make a difference.

I'm scared to shoot the damn thing.

The bending thing was funny...thought about it for like 2 seconds

Edited by dssbob

It's a problem with the way the barrel was made (extruded, I think) and it's been happening for years. That's the worst I've seen posted, but Tony has made comments on it more than a few times.

I think the only proper way to correct it is to cut off the threads, have the barrel turned on center, and re-threaded as long as there's enough material to work with. KingArmory has also posted a thread regarding an aftermarket barrel in the future. Bummer ) :

It appears that the barrel was threaded at an angle and when the brake is installed its TOTALLY noticeable and probably dangerous.

WTF is going on with this?!!! Is it fixable?? Any suggestions or ideas?? This is really bumming me out after spending all this time and money

Thanks

Hmmmm, who did you buy the gun from ? I know that you have already made the modifications to the gun but you might contact the seller and explain the problem and see if they will make it right some how.

Repair or replace the gun, of course if you relace it's back to the drawing board for the conversion but it beats a KABOOM !!!

The worst they can say is no and if they go that rout you might want to explain to them that you would then need to vent your frustration on this and other forums and I don't think a honest and reliable dealer will want that.

Just my .02 worth

Good Luck

It's a problem with the way the barrel was made (extruded, I think) and it's been happening for years. That's the worst I've seen posted, but Tony has made comments on it more than a few times.

I think the only proper way to correct it is to cut off the threads, have the barrel turned on center, and re-threaded as long as there's enough material to work with. KingArmory has also posted a thread regarding an aftermarket barrel in the future. Bummer ) :

If the threads are cut off and re-threaded isnt the barrel under the limit then, thus requiring paperwork?

If the threads are cut off and re-threaded isnt the barrel under the limit then, thus requiring paperwork?

It;s a 19" barrel, how much do the threads take up? You could also have your muzzle device (Cameron, Tony, Polychoke) permanently attached.

Thanks

Hmmmm, who did you buy the gun from ? I know that you have already made the modifications to the gun but you might contact the seller and explain the problem and see if they will make it right some how.

Repair or replace the gun, of course if you relace it's back to the drawing board for the conversion but it beats a KABOOM !!!

The worst they can say is no and if they go that rout you might want to explain to them that you would then need to vent your frustration on this and other forums and I don't think a honest and reliable dealer will want that.

Just my .02 worth

Good Luck

I'll contact the dealer, but I wont hold my breath.

Your bore is not concentric with the OD of the bbl. That should make your muzzle-brake non-concentric, NOT tilted.

Are you sure it is the bbl threaded at an angle and not the new muzzle-brake?

If it is indeed the bbl, one easy option would be to lathe the OD of the muzzle inline with the bore (removing the threads) and then press-fitting or silver soldering on a new brake.

Your bore is not concentric with the OD of the bbl. That should make your muzzle-brake non-concentric, NOT tilted.

Are you sure it is the bbl threaded at an angle and not the new muzzle-brake?

If it is indeed the bbl, one easy option would be to lathe the OD of the muzzle inline with the bore (removing the threads) and then press-fitting or silver soldering on a new brake.

No I'm not 100% its the barrel but I dont have another brake on hand to test it.

If the brake screws on with a wobble, it is the break. If the break screws on at the same angle without wobbling it is the break.

That barrel is bored WAY off, or the threads are canted badly. I would suggest trying for a factory repair. The only other way is to get it threaded for screw chokes (internal)

Holy shit, that is way off.

You need to measure the wall thickness on the thin side, then measure the bore ID. Take the thin-side wall thickness, double it, and add the bore ID. If it is less then .850, you're fucked. If you turn the muzzle on centers to true it up, you'll be too thin to thread it M22x.75

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Holy shit, that is way off.

You need to measure the wall thickness on the thin side, then measure the bore ID. Take the thin-side wall thickness, double it, and add the bore ID. If it is less then .850, you're fucked. If you turn the muzzle on centers to true it up, you'll be too thin to thread it M22x.75

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Ok...Now that the Big Guns have weighed in I know I'm fucked. I'm going to take it to C&S and have Matt take a look to make sure its not the brake.

Since its looking like a barrel issue and Tony says it might not be able to be turned if not covered under warranty it looks like my only option is to cut it down.

Man this suck

I'll contact the dealer, but I wont hold my breath.

Contact Clyde at RAA directly. Don't bother with your dealer. I am sure RAA will pay for warranty work.

++1 on that Bob, Clyde is a class act as far as I have seen and I would bet that he'll do SOMETHING to try and make this right for ya. Make the call brother !

Not to add even more rain, but I thought RAAC warranty work is only done on guns that have not been modified. :unsure:

At least, that's what I thought I read.

Maybe so but the worst he can do is say no right ?

You're right. I was just throwing that out there, because I'm pretty sure I remember reading that.