Saftey arm scratches

I suppose almost anything is possible. When trying to come up with ideas for an ambidextrous safety, I briefly considered a Glock style setup, except instead of having the trigger slotted and the safety in the center, it was a type of "shoe" that went over the trigger and pivoted on a pin set through the side of it.

Another idea was a grip safety that you had to depress to free up the trigger. That one wasn't as user friendly when it came to a DIY installation though.

Im wondering; would it be posible to make a trigger safety similar to a Glock?

I'm in the middle of converting my 12. I've finished with the trigger group and am waiting on my pistol grip and buttstock to arrive. When it's all done, I am planning on having it bead blasted and refinished.

All S-12 seem to have scratches on the side of the receiver where the safety arm travels up and down. Can the arm be adjusted (bent) to prevent the scratching or will the lever then flop around? Any recommendations; I'd rather not have the finish damaged right after ge

After doing my conversion I removed the safety and slightly ground down the 'nubbin' that touches the receiver. Since doing this the scratch hasn't increased in size. But like everyone else is saying that scratch just shows that you are using it!

The oversize safety lever is one of the most ingenious parts of the AK design. It can be operated with heavy gloves and hands either numb from cold or weak from fatigue. The length allows enough leverage to move the lever even if the weapon is covered in ice, or caked with sand. If the scratch bothers you, maybe you should stick to Ar's?

If you want to avoid a scratch there buy an AR.

Thanks, but I already did.

I think you missed his point. If you're going to be an overly anal perfectionist when it comes to the cosmetic appearance of your firearms, you're probably better off sticking with AR's. As has been mentioned, the safety scratch is really due to the weapon's design. Accept that, (and the fact that it's superficial and doesn't hurt a damn thing).

Russian guns ain't meant to be "pretty".. they're meant to fucking work, even in conditions that would render AR's and similar weapons useless.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Well, I used to be one who was very particular about scratches and scuffs on my guns. After all, these things cost a lot of money!!! But over the years I've come to appreciate other peoples "well used" weapons even while still being anal about mine. What finally won me over what when AK kit building came into fashion and I started seeing pics of "battlefield pick up finishes". Those guns were some of the most beautiful guns I've ever seen. Since then, I've come to appreciate, even welcome scrateches and dings in my weapons. Some things I own to collect, some to use. And those that I use, I like to USE.

Scratches are manly. Remember that.

The oversize safety lever is one of the most ingenious parts of the AK design. It can be operated with heavy gloves and hands either numb from cold or weak from fatigue. The length allows enough leverage to move the lever even if the weapon is covered in ice, or caked with sand. If the scratch bothers you, maybe you should stick to Ar's?

Funny. Mine is very stiff and clumsy. It takes a lot of force, and I have to take my hand off of the grip to operate it. even moving my hand to where it would be if I had done a full conversion, I am unable to move it from safe with my index finger.I don't think there is anyway I could keep my gun on target and operate the safety with my left hand either. If the thing stuck out more, and required less force, like it may on some other Kalashnikov based guns, I would tend to agree with that part.

The gun just needs a lightning bolt style left side cocking lever, a decent magwell, and a safety that can be operated on reflex to become a piece of 'elegant design'. The clumsy safety and the clumsier mag are about the only things I don't like about my s12. Tradition is nifty, but simple intuitive operation wins hands down in my book. We have had 65 years to improve these aspects and it is about time. I noticed dinzag offers a service to add a tab so that you can reach it with your finger, it also sticks out further. Would this be offered if the stock one was so simple to use? With the pistol grip conversion, and his added tab, I could just do this with my thumb, but there is no way I could do it with my index finger unless I filed the dimple, or bent the arm outward.

I am interested in any improvements people can offer to this design. I liked the garand style one that gunfixr did, and I saw a slide safety that looked decent elsewhere. I am thinking of adding a tab like dinzag, a BHO notch, and extending an arm on the back side of the pivot, so I could hit it with my thumb or index finger in stock configuration. I will either file or hammer down the dimple sometime soon.

Funny. Mine is very stiff and clumsy. It takes a lot of force, and I have to take my hand off of the grip to operate it. even moving my hand to where it would be if I had done a full conversion, I am unable to move it from safe with my index finger.I don't think there is anyway I could keep my gun on target and operate the safety with my left hand either. If the thing stuck out more, and required less force, like it may on some other Kalashnikov based guns, I would tend to agree with that part.

Funny, I can activate mine with my index finger. Have to move my hand a bit off the grip (but never is it entirely out of my hand) to be able to apply enough force to it but, I can keep the gun dead on target while doing so. I can do it with my middle finger much more easily. I also converted my gun and I shoot it as often as I can and find myself fiddling with it at least 3 times a week. Maybe it's just worn in. :rolleyes:

Well, I used to be one who was very particular about scratches and scuffs on my guns. After all, these things cost a lot of money!!! But over the years I've come to appreciate other peoples "well used" weapons even while still being anal about mine. What finally won me over what when AK kit building came into fashion and I started seeing pics of "battlefield pick up finishes". Those guns were some of the most beautiful guns I've ever seen. Since then, I've come to appreciate, even welcome scrateches and dings in my weapons. Some things I own to collect, some to use. And those that I use, I like to USE.

Scratches are manly. Remember that.

Echo,

When you say "battlefield pick up finishes" are you saying do AK builds with a "stressed" finish? Like a Rat Rod style Hot Rod? I'm liking that. Any idea where there are photos of this?

Carry on!

A BIG +_1

It's a mark of induction into a unique society. If you can't accept it, you probably don't belong in it.

Another BIG +1

If you want to avoid a scratch there buy an AR.

Thanks, but I already did.

I think you missed his point. If you're going to be an overly anal perfectionist when it comes to the cosmetic appearance of your firearms, you're probably better off sticking with AR's. As has been mentioned, the safety scratch is really due to the weapon's design. Accept that, (and the fact that it's superficial and doesn't hurt a damn thing).

Russian guns ain't meant to be "pretty".. they're meant to fucking work, even in conditions that would render AR's and similar weapons useless.

And a resounding HUGE +1!!!

:super:

Tell it like it is brother!

Now to address the overly tight selector issues...

Like a lot of other features on these guns, the selectors can also be different from one to the next. I keep mine all tuned to where I can easily operate them with my trigger finger while only slightly changing my grip. (as was said above)

Some of them can be loosened up enough to do this, by simply pulling outward on it and taking some of the spring tension off of it. Be real careful not to bend it in the middle though, or you will end up with a huge 'scrape', instead of a small scratch. The little nub needs to be the only part touching the side of the receiver. It also helps to polish the nub on the back that creates the scratch. It's pretty simple really, you have a sharp bump that's grinding into the finish on the receiver. Just smooth it up some.

Another place a lot of selectors I see are overly tight, and make it hard to operate them, is the notch in the axle of the selector that goes over the hole in your receiver. It's easy to tell if it's binding there because it's also scratching the finish in a circular pattern around the rear of the safety. The pressure is being applied on the inside of the receiver where the notch wasn't cut deep enough, or has too much paint built up there. Lightly removing a little material there (with a small file or dremel cutoff wheel) will free up the rotation.

I have thought about making an easy clip on "anti scratch pad" for AKs and Saigas, for a long time now. Only thing that's kept me from doing so is the fact that the scratch is a "rite of passage", and I didn't want to be labled as a fud, or anal. The scratch doesn't bother me a bit. It's normal. If you see an AK without it, that's an AK that is basically a safe queen or wall hanger, not something that gets used. On brand new refinished weapon, that first scratch made the first time it's put in the fire position, is like a popped cherry! :wub:

Enjoy it.

Well I just got annoyed enough with mine, that I gave it the AUTHORATATIVE outward tweak that I was afraid to do for fear of over bending or breaking it, and it is much better. I could move it with my finger now. If I could reach anyway, this one won't get the full conversion for a while. I still would like it better with bigger tabs and ambidextrous operation.

As for cobra's hymen comparison, some Russian guy did that job for me, and I don't think having a gun come with several dings in the finish from the factory puts me in an elite private club. If it does, then I am a member. You wouldn't be happy if you bought a new truck and the guy at the dealer lot backed into it and said "now you can use it. It's a work truck now."

The scratch itself doesn't really bother me the whole safety does. I would like to make the system better, and the safety mods that dinzag offers look pretty easy to do and are a clear improvement.

As for all of the nonsense about Stick to AR's, well I don't have one, but if you want to give me one, send me a pm. Why is it that anytime an improvement is considered a bunch of people say essentially, "Real men like clumsy features. You have to choose between this and and another platform which I hate" Why can't we do small design tweaks and have the best features of everything? I have seen a few magwells on this site that are a clear and obvious vast improvement over AK mag design. I want that improvement, and it has nothing to do with AR's it has everything to do with better performance and ease of use. I saw someone mention on another thread that cobra is working on one. Where is the traditionalist loyalty in that? (sorry cobra if you aren't, doubly sorry, because I want one and the other guy wants way more than I can spend for his beautiful part.)

As for cobra's hymen comparison, some Russian guy did that job for me, and I don't think having a gun come with several dings in the finish from the factory puts me in an elite private club. If it does, then I am a member. You wouldn't be happy if you bought a new truck and the guy at the dealer lot backed into it and said "now you can use it. It's a work truck now."

The differance being that the Saiga as we know it, is a cheap weapon. It's cheaply produced for cheap prices. The demand for it has driven the price up to beyond what the weapon itself is worth. I payed $600 for mine. I was ripped off as is everyone else that buys one now. The gun is simply not worth that much and because I realise this, I have no problem opening the box and finding the edges a little worn and the safety scratching into the paint. The paint is cheap and the scratch shows that the guys at the factory at least bothered testing the thing before they shoved into a cardboard box to ship out to us idiots that pay too much for the damned things. :lolol:

Once I get an ambidextrous safety made up, I can either remove the old safety, or just leave it on fire.....unless I'm wanting an extra safe firearm for whatever reason.

Corbin

I removed the factory safety, and welded up the holes. The gun is almost done, just need to do the stock, and finish. The forearm is on, and the flash hider.

I thought about a small pad to eliminate the scratch, but then the safety would move around by itself when firing. Also, when doing a conversion, I tweak the safety inside and out to make it easy to move, with positive detents at either position.

Screw it, it's just a scratch. I got an AR, and it's got scratches on it, too, just in different places. Hell, even my FAL has got marks on it.

Depends if your Saiga is painted black then it won't match your finish but will make the scratch less noticeable. What the cold blue will do is darken up the scratch with out adding too much thickness (maybe 2.5 micrometers?) while paint is thick and will just get scratched off again fast.

That Valmet ridge looks interesting, though it still has a silver line running along its length.

My way of looking at it, unless you've got a gold plated presentation AK, or something that you're wanting only for display/investment, you're going to have the scratch. It comes with the territory. Know that going in and you'll be fine.

Corbin