Pics of Saiga x39's in California

New to this forum and Saigas. Im behind enemy lines in Ca and have a chance to pick up a Saiga x39 on a trade. Just curious to see some Ca examples. Im also curious how these shoot / feel in stock mode? I hate leaving any firearm stock, but not sure I like the idea of dancing around with 922r issues. Im thinking the Saiga would be a nice addition to my only other x39, a 53 Russian SKS. Any suggestions and or pics is appreciated.

I'm probably the only guy on this forum that'll tell you this Gunner, but I think they shoot fine in stock form. Trigger's a little heavy (I'd guess around 5 lbs.) and creepy but it seems consistent, so I quickly got used to it. Not only is the trigger consistent from shot to shot, it seems consistent from gun-to-gun; the triggers in both my X39 Saigas feel the same. If trigger pull is a big issue with you, the conversion would be the answer. The FCG from Tapco that everybody puts in their conversions supposedly gives a real nice trigger. Getting rid of the Rube Goldberg trigger linkage they use in the stock Saiga would have to help.

Another beef folks have with the stock Saiga is the muzzle heavy balance. To me that steadies the hold for offhand shooting and helps with marksmanship. I'm into muzzleloaders pretty heavily and they're all muzzle heavy and shoot like a dream offhand. But, for quick handling, I'd agree; a more neutral balance would probably help and the conversion does bring the weight back towards the shooter.

Maybe the biggest issue is ability to use high capacity magazines. But, like you in CA, NY sorta frowns on those and I don't want to be constantly having to prove to someone that I'm legal. Unless the SHTF, I have no need for anything more than 10 rounds anyway. But installing Dinzag's bullet guide will put you in a position to use Commie-bloc surplus mags if you ever absolutely HAVE to (you won't be 922r compliant, however). That's the approach I've taken.

Beyond that I kinda prefer the sporter look and don't care to mess with it. It doesn't look any worse than an SKS or an M14 and no one complains about how they look.

FWIW

Bob

New to this forum and Saigas. Im behind enemy lines in Ca and have a chance to pick up a Saiga x39 on a trade. Just curious to see some Ca examples. Im also curious how these shoot / feel in stock mode? I hate leaving any firearm stock, but not sure I like the idea of dancing around with 922r issues. Im thinking the Saiga would be a nice addition to my only other x39, a 53 Russian SKS. Any suggestions and or pics is appreciated.

Take a look in my album on this website. Some good PRK-legal pics. Monsterman grips, bulletbuttons, unconverted builds, radlocks, and even a pump action 7.62x39 AK! I also highly recommend you search on calguns.net for additional legal info.

Take a look in my album on this website. Some good PRK-legal pics. Monsterman grips, bulletbuttons, unconverted builds, radlocks, and even a pump action 7.62x39 AK! I also highly recommend you search on calguns.net for additional legal info.

The monsterman grip is the way to go for California. If you need a bullet button, you might as well just keep it in the stock configuration IMHO. However, unlike 555JM, I don't think the rifle is worth having in "sporter" configuration. The ergonomics are much better with a PG, the use of high capacity magazines is a huge advantage *AND* the resale value increases. Now Im not saying that people who don't convert their rifles are chumps or dullards or social degenerates.... all Im saying is their are *BIG* advantages to doing to conversion. :smoke:

But, like you in CA, NY sorta frowns on those and I don't want to be constantly having to prove to someone that I'm legal.

I've never had to prove any of my pre-bans are pre-bans. The whole "don't bother with pre-bans because you'll get harrased" thing irks me. It makes people less likely to get a proper mag for their gun just because they've been given some misinformation.

Saiga-ak.jpg

I've walked down Main Street of my town with that on my back, cops didn't bother me at all, neither did DEC.

Edited by Big Boss
I'm probably the only guy on this forum that'll tell you this Gunner, but I think they shoot fine in stock form.

<snip>

Beyond that I kinda prefer the sporter look and don't care to mess with it. It doesn't look any worse than an SKS or an M14 and no one complains about how they look.

FWIW

Bob

No, I'll be another to say my Saiga 16" 7.62x39 is one fine shooter just as it is, 10rd mag and all.

I'm probably the only guy on this forum that'll tell you this Gunner, but I think they shoot fine in stock form.

<snip>

FWIW

Bob

No, I'll be another to say my Saiga 16" 7.62x39 is one fine shooter just as it is, 10rd mag and all.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist commenting. The "sporter" stock configuration that Saiga 7.62 rifles come in is simply "teh gay", no more simple or effective way to put it. Forget about looks.. the "sporter" triggergroup is a bunch of Rube Goldberg shit, it's just that simple. Don't blame the Russians for this.. it's our own unconstitutional BATFE's fault that Izhmash has to do this. Imho, you'll never know the potential your rifle was meant to have unless you tear that bullshit out and install a proper, (and relatively cheap), US-made triggergroup, along with proper pistol grip, and bullet guide, (so you can use some of the millions of AK mil-surp mags), and stock.

It's pretty damn easy to fully convert a contemporary Saiga 7.62x39 rifle. If you don't live in a ridiculous state, (CA, MA, NY, NJ), just do it.. it's cheap, easy, and you'll never regret it.

Since you are stuck here in CA the dancing around with 922r issues is pretty simple assuming you don't have any pre-ban AK mags you want to use. I just use the Surefire US made mags with the US made forearm I swapped in and 922r is satisfied.

I love how this thing shoots, but I've never used a converted one before so can't give you a comparison. I can tell you though that every time I have ever pulled the trigger the rifle has fired and has cycled properly. Never ever had a jam or anything like that. I'd trust my life to this thing.

<snip>

FWIW

Bob

I'll be another. All I want is a skeletonized stock (no conversion for me), and I should be all set.

before conversion i was using the skeleton stock too. it was a great piece for unconverted. its very solid feeling. better than the factory stock. i would recommend getting your trigger group polished up though. it will smooth it out a lot.

I moved from Kalifornia to Southern Illinois 2 years ago. While Kook Kounty and ChiKago are like Kalifornia, the rest of the state is OK.

I know what you mean; I lived in Chicago for all of a week and then moved back. Had a little apartment but the whole place was bad vibes. Now I know why... the Antichrist commeth from therein...

Scary thing is the neighborhood I was in was pretty much down the street from where obummer used to live... :(

Here is my Saiga x39 and my GSG-5 from here in California's wine country. :rolleyes: I love the dragunov stock I purchased this thing with, so have no plans on doing the conversion.

stix213, regarding your Saiga; get a bullet button or take off that stock and foregrip ASAP!!!!! that rifle is a big no-no in that configuration!!!

I highly suggest that you remove that picture. Please reference the legal rifle flow-chart on calguns.net

Might I suggest a new solution...

MOVE TO ANOTHER STATE!

Problem solved :smoke:

You solve all your problems by running away? Worst advice I've ever heard.

There are a lot of people fighting hard for "Change" in Ca.

MOVE TO ANOTHER STATE!

The issue that caused me to leave was not guns, it was impending financial ruination! A predatory mortgage from Ameriquest went from $1450 a mo to $2300 (because of an asterisk and a hidden clause) even as my property was losing value at $6,000+ a month I went from $385,000 value to 290,000 in less than a year when I left 2 years ago. Now it is about $150,00 or less. It was not a sub-prime, but was supposedly a "fixed" mortgage. Since fraud on their part was involved I went to CA Attorney General (along with thousands of others). Ameriquest was put out of business, but it was too late for me. I moved to rural southern Illinois and bought 5 acres with a creek, a nice remodeled turn of the century farm house and barn for $85K!~

When I moved to California 38 years ago as a young man, it was a land of promise. I loved it. Now it is Kalifornia and a land of lies and welfare. As far as getting change, the demographics make me a minority, and even though I always voted, it never had any effect. I am retired LE and am a teacher now. At my school in the Central Valley, I was told I could not wear my NRA baseball cap to school (I was the only teacher at the school that even owned a gun), but they taught the kids abortion as a form a family planning!~ Do I sound bitter? You bet.

Unfortunately when I finally retire, there is a strong possibility I will be living part time in Kalifornia during the winter, and the mid-West in the Spring Summer fall. That will be to keep my spouse happy.

not to steer us back to OT, but: A stock saiga is still a nice rifle. The trigger linkage won't fall apart or explode or prank call your ex's. A lot of people prefer to convert their saiga for the following reasons: pistol grip moves the center of grav. back, and puts it closer to your trigger hand. this makes mag changes easier too. Adding a G2 trigger will improve pull, wether you convert or not.

You can be happy with the standard rifle stock; but be aware if you then get to handle a pistol gripped AK you may get bitten by the conversion bug.

Here is my Saiga x39 and my GSG-5 from here in California's wine country. :rolleyes: I love the dragunov stock I purchased this thing with, so have no plans on doing the conversion.

stix213, regarding your Saiga; get a bullet button or take off that stock and foregrip ASAP!!!!! that rifle is a big no-no in that configuration!!!

I highly suggest that you remove that picture. Please reference the legal rifle flow-chart on calguns.net

If you look close you will notice that I already have a disabled mag release - no lever to push at all. I made a tool that very quickly allows me to release the mag. Thanks for trying to look out for me though :) But I'm well aware of the laws here.

I would have gone with a bullet button, but the only 16" Saiga 7.62x39 that my local gun shop keeps in stock has this dragunov stock already installed, and they cut off all the mag release levers instead of installing bullet buttons. I could have ordered one and waited a while, or gone with a 20" barrel, but it really doesn't take me any more time to remove a mag using the tool I made over using a bullet button though, so no biggie. Plus, how do I remove the mag after I've shot my last bullet otherwise?? :)

Edited by stix213

I's that a .22 on the bottom

Yeah that is a .22LR on the bottom. Which is pretty cool here cause rimfire are exempt from California AW laws. You just have to follow the 10 round mag law, and keep to 16" barrel and 26" total length (centerfire have to be 30" total length), but I can have all the pistol grips, foregrips, and crap I want like a free state and still keep the detachable mag. That little .22 sure turns some heads around here and gets people talking to me whenever I take it to a shooting range. "Uhh is that a freaking MP5???!!! What? I have never seen a .22 like that before" is what I usually hear. (That is a fake suppressor, actually hiding the rest of the 16" barrel)

Although I do wish I could purchase the standard capacity 22 round mag for this thing... I routinely shoot this thing in an indoor range, where I have fun shooting from the hip with the laser sight and dump the entire 10 round mag in about 1.5 seconds or so on target. Fun gun to shoot all the same.

Edited by stix213
  • 2 weeks later...

Saiga 7.62x39

Shortened factory stock

Ultimak

Aimpoint Micro

Bulgy FSB + 74 brake

Dinzag handguard retainer

K-Var handguard

Vickers 2pt sling

DinZag bullet guide

DinZag FCG

US piston

Blackjack Buffers safety lever

All work done by me in my garage! I have a registered AR-15 "assault weapon" but the Saiga can go with me anywhere, unrestricted.

saiga_v6.jpg

Another option for converted Saigas or regular AKs - a filled-in thumbhole stock. I actually prefer this to the Monsterman.

akfilledin.jpg

Edited by vandal

MOVE TO ANOTHER STATE!

The issue that caused me to leave was not guns, it was impending financial ruination! A predatory mortgage from Ameriquest went from $1450 a mo to $2300 (because of an asterisk and a hidden clause) even as my property was losing value at $6,000+ a month I went from $385,000 value to 290,000 in less than a year when I left 2 years ago. Now it is about $150,00 or less. It was not a sub-prime, but was supposedly a "fixed" mortgage. Since fraud on their part was involved I went to CA Attorney General (along with thousands of others). Ameriquest was put out of business, but it was too late for me. I moved to rural southern Illinois and bought 5 acres with a creek, a nice remodeled turn of the century farm house and barn for $85K!~

When I moved to California 38 years ago as a young man, it was a land of promise. I loved it. Now it is Kalifornia and a land of lies and welfare. As far as getting change, the demographics make me a minority, and even though I always voted, it never had any effect. I am retired LE and am a teacher now. At my school in the Central Valley, I was told I could not wear my NRA baseball cap to school (I was the only teacher at the school that even owned a gun), but they taught the kids abortion as a form a family planning!~ Do I sound bitter? You bet.

Unfortunately when I finally retire, there is a strong possibility I will be living part time in Kalifornia during the winter, and the mid-West in the Spring Summer fall. That will be to keep my spouse happy.

Range, the last two sentences made me cry for you! Maybe your wife will come to her senses before then!

Ah well,

When the doctor slapped me on the ass when I was born, he never promised me life would be fair. It is just what you make of it! That's why we moved when we did!

If that does happen, I will probably just take my Underwood M1 Carbine with me for those three months, and leave my AKs in the gun vault. Maybe I will even MMG or un-pistol grip the Saiga, as I kept the factory FCG. MY 30 round Mil-Surp mags are pre ban, and in fact I had them when I registered my original AK in CA in 1990ish, so they can go back in (I already checked the law). The Saiga is so tricked out now like a AK103, though, I would hate to have some overzealous A-Hole grab it and cost me a fortune in legal fees.

If you wanna convert do it, you'll be suprised at the difference. Everybody I know says the conversion isn't worth the trouble..........Ahhh what trouble? It take 1 1/2-2 hrs, costs 75-100$ and will improve the feel and handling aspects of the rifle. When you install an AK stock the overall length loses about 4".

This is one of my conversions with a monster man grip and a standard AK mag.

015-10.jpg

If you wanna convert do it, you'll be suprised at the difference. Everybody I know says the conversion isn't worth the trouble..........Ahhh what trouble? It take 1 1/2-2 hrs, costs 75-100$ and will improve the feel and handling aspects of the rifle. When you install an AK stock the overall length loses about 4".

015-10.jpg

Mine's already converted, and I agree, the difference in handling is amazing. I would probably just replace the pistol grip with a monsterman since my mags are actually legal prebans. DO see GP WASRs 10/63s with monsterman grips, or are they on the specified "evil gun no matter what configuration" list. I looked, but did not see it. Just the European American Armory Saige and Klashnikov USA.

015-10.jpg

Mine's already converted, and I agree, the difference in handling is amazing. I would probably just replace the pistol grip with a monsterman since my mags are actually legal prebans. DO see GP WASRs 10/63s with monsterman grips, or are they on the specified "evil gun no matter what configuration" list. I looked, but did not see it. Just the European American Armory Saige and Klashnikov USA.

The EAA Saiga should be legal in Cali, as with all the other AK & AR type rifles on these lists:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpos...mp;postcount=12

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthr...ght=longer+list

Consult the following Calguns.net assault weapons identification guide to determine if your rifle is a banned assault weapon

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...HB5S2ojJdNbH7Sw

WASR 10 appears to be on the offlist, and I didn't see it on the banned list.

Edited by stix213

so this configuration is legal as long as it has a Bullet Button and is 922r compliant? and 10 rnd mags of course?

so this configuration is legal as long as it has a Bullet Button and is 922r compliant? and 10 rnd mags of course?

My configuration is legal. I don't have a mag release (not bullet button, but I use a tool to remove the mag - you won't see a lever on that mag release), and I have 4 US parts being the handguard and the US mags leaving 10 foreign so meets 922r. I also have a 10/30 Surefire mag I recently made that isn't pictured that I'm using now. I know the free state peeps laugh at that concept, but it is all in fun.

A side story about my Saiga, that I'll probably over dramatize. :) Was up at the Mendocino national forest with my brother doing a bit of target practice last weekend. It started getting late, but I hadn't shot the thing at dusk before and we were both having fun watching the huge flame that comes out the barrel on every trigger pull that you just can't see during the day (the flame goes out almost 2 feet it seems! Fun!). Well, just before dark we packed up and started walking out of the woods to the car....

Problem was in the dark woods it is easy to lose your barrings, and when we got to the dirt road (just one notch up from a quad trail really) where the car was parked just as it got completely pitch black out... there was no car. We realized that this is either not the same road, or we hit the road at the wrong spot. At the same time my regular flashlight died and there is no cell service or other people for miles.... So now it is completely dark out with only the stars, and the sounds of the night animals coming out to play...

Well, we might have been overly paranoid, or might have been dead on, but we both know there are mountain lions and bears in these woods that are probably now looking for food (and could possibly be the very animals we can hear about 50 yards away), so we were starting to get a bit anxious about getting back to the car and our campsite. We decided to drop all our gear, load a mag into the Saiga x39, and picking a direction we headed down the dirt road. I got to put that bright ass tactical flashlight to good use for the first time, since it was the only flashlight either of us had that was working at this point.

Long story short, after over a half mile walking in complete darkness through the woods on the dirt road with nothing but my AK lighting the way, we made it to the car safe and sound... without having to take down any mountain lions after all. :) Was a fun time.

Edited by stix213