Which 20 rd drum to buy?

They are open drums! Just think about that for a minute... an open magazine/drum! How stupid is that?! Name me 5 guns that use OPEN magazines... You cant really even name ONE unless you go back to WWII and talk about the French POS that got a lot of people killed due to horrible jamming issues.

Uh, I think you mean the Chauchat, and that would be WW1, not WW2..... :sadam:

Yes you are correct, my mistake. But the point it still the same, open mag = jam.

• Like 1

There is only the question of which backplate color you want, black, smoke, clear or better yet, all three. The right one for me was MD-20 w/smoke cover. Mike is a stand-up guy who always backs his products and they are of the highest quality.

post-2898-1243866676.jpg

post-2898-1243866769_thumb.jpg

Would you rather have something that shoots tampons or something that shoots lead???

(Love that picture Cobra!)

nyclu3

Edited by nyclu3
  • Like 1

MD-20 is the only way to go. My experience is the AA guys are rat bastards. I tried to buy a drum from them at one point and they were very rude. I now am the proud owner of two MD-20's and love them. Takes a few minutes to file down and excess plastic on the mag to fit them, but once they're there they run flawlessly. Both of mine click into place and are totally solid. After about 40 rounds mine was pretty well broken in and is now pretty easy to load. I'm REALLY happy with them. The only problem I have is trying to find mag pouches, but it's hard to find regular S12 stick pouches anyways so no biggie. I'm currently using a couple of Soviet surplus gas mask pouches for them lol.

• Like 1
Anybody tried these.

As MDA will not ship drums to the UK this is our only option.Seems a very high quality item but is very pricey.Advantage to me is the ability to use with the magwell with the extra molot vepr conversion (I hope)

If anybody knows if the molot vepr magwell is the same as the saiga factory maybe they could let me know.Will post up a question about this separately to avoid thread hijack.

Here is a picture of me and Molot Vepr + Maxrounds drum in competition month ago

post-6048-1243923986_thumb.jpg:

Edited by Juggernaut
Removed non con link..
Anybody tried these.

As MDA will not ship drums to the UK this is our only option.Seems a very high quality item but is very pricey.Advantage to me is the ability to use with the magwell with the extra molot vepr conversion (I hope)

If anybody knows if the molot vepr magwell is the same as the saiga factory maybe they could let me know.Will post up a question about this separately to avoid thread hijack.

Here is a picture of me and Molot Vepr + Maxrounds drum in competition month ago

post-6048-1243923986_thumb.jpg:

:dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: Is that the 3 inch mag drum. I like the logo on the drums but to much cash to try to get one.

Edited by Juggernaut
Removed non con link..

My second MD-20 drum just showed up today. No fitting needed. I'll probably just use my first one for now, and leave this one in the box until later. We'll see though. I might not be able to resist the temptation. :unsure:

Corbin

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody tried these.

Yeah, you need drum with molot vepr conversion. Maybe little fitting required(depends on gun).

Edited by Juggernaut
Removed non con link..
  • 4 weeks later...

I have had my MD 20 for a few months now, I think I got my drum in march or feb, I have run about 800rounds through it, and lots of slugs and buckshot (my favorite are slugs) I have never had one problem with the gun, I even put a recoil buffer in the action for the last outting (the type offered in the E store), and a gunfixer gas adjustment plug (my S12 is over gassed) I run it on the lowest setting for slugs and one click for low brass stuff.

Even when I'm having issues with the AGP mags with feeding the drum always feeds perfect.

It seems to be well built and from what I have seen mike fixes even other peoples screw ups with the drum, I plan on buying two more when I can afford it.

And I would love to see him make some stick mags, I would buy those up in a heartbeat.

I haven't paid much attention to which is the best 20 rd drum to buy because I didn't think I needed one... well, after seeing how everyone loves them, I'd like to know which is the best drum to buy for the money and which one to stay away from. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

MY AA drum works fine. All my mags that worked fine in the first place still work fine, 99% of the modding i did to my gun i did before the AA came in the mail and i did it to get the gun to work with cheap ammo as per the forum members experience and suggestions.

all i did for the drum is shave approx 1/16 off the mag catch. which IMHO makes more sense then shaving weak plastic or aluminum mag tabs. The steel mag catch isnt going to be worn out by interfacing plastic mags or an aluminum drum but the reverse is certainly true.

thats my 2c worth,

BUT the MD drum is by far cheaper and lighter and is an enclosed system so is less likely to get dirt in it under rough field usage and seems to work fine. so id say go for that unless, like me, you want SOME sort mag that is made of metal (not a plastic mag fan, sorry)

BTW my AA came with a dust cover at no xtra charge

i wont get into the personal pissing matches here. i wasnt present when they went on and therefore wont take sides. i cut my own path in life.

AA sent my drum in 5 biz days it showed up and works. my next drum will be an MD but if all i could get is AA i wouldnt complain.

PRICE is all i dislike. but to be honest im spoiled. im used to the days of the 50$ 75 rd ak drum so any drum over a hundred bucks makes me wince

as soon as someone makes steel or aluminum stick mags for the saiga ill be in heaven!

Edited by Gothiq1
  • Like 1
you don't really have a choice, you can only buy a MD20 drum. there is an expensive door stop that only works with a highly modifed shotgun but in the end you'll pay 3 to 4 times as much and it will only work on that shotgun. I have 2 MD20 drums that work on 2 different s12's with no mods to either drums or guns

+1

I'm also in Salt Lake, near downtown. Email me if you want to go shoot sometime.

• 3 months later...

All I know is that with the MD20, I don't have to do this:

post-17289-12565149195317.gif

May have to down load the image to see it. For some reason it's only showing the first two frames to me in browser. Basically the guy reaches in to the breach with his thumb to guide the top round in. Shouldn't have to do that.

Edited by crux
  • Like 2

All I know is that with the MD20, I don't have to do this:

post-17289-12565149195317.gif

May have to down load the image to see it. For some reason it's only showing the first two frames to me in browser. Basically the guy reaches in to the breach with his thumb to guide the top round in. Shouldn't have to do that.

I love this one, right at the end "and this is your safety" no shit! :lolol::lolol:

As an engineer, and new owner of the Saiga 12 I've watched and read everything I could find on the net about these two drums. From experience in designing machinery you never design anything you want to run for a long time open to the elements, even with the "dust cover" the aa drum is prone to get moisture in the drum. The vinyl or Naga hyde cover won't stop the introduction of debris at all, even with the dust cover on the throat is still open. mike's drum you add 3-4 lbs full loaded to the weapon not bad, since most of the weight is ammo. The AA drum is twice the weight, effectively doubling the weight of the Saiga don't think i want to carry that much weight all day long.

If anyone thinks the AA drums are the bees knees then you need to check out MD's section and ask yourself why would the government be looking at his drums and not the AA drums? One reason look at the theater of operation we're currently in. An open drum and SAND? come on! They have a hard enough time keeping the sand out of the tank engines through a filter system. Does anyone really think an AA drum would last a week in that environment? or even work in an area where rain and ice are prevalent? Believe it or not the polymer drum has less expansion and contraction than the AA drum does, in an Artic type area the AA drum could shrink as much as 100 thousandth's of an inch. It wouldn't lock in an stay at that much shrinkage.

To be honest I'm glad I found all the info I did on the drums. It has shown me Mike of MD has integrity and stands behind his product. Never in my life in manufacturing have I seen someone so sure of their product to change their warranty to a limited lifetime on paper let alone publicly. When my funds come available I'll be getting one of MD's drums, no doubt in my mind about that.

• 2 months later...

I finally got a chance to test my new MD-20 drum I got for Christmas. First I took it apart to see how everything works (mechanical engineer thing I guess). I adjusted the spring from the factory 3 revolutions to 2 since I will normally be shooting the low brass value pack ammo. I loaded it with Federal 7-1/2 shot Walmart value pack.

Shot 3 slow rounds from the shoulder, then 5 rapid fire shots from the shoulder, then unloaded the remaining 12 shots as fast as I could pull the trigger from the hip. Perfect! My new favorite mag.

hands down MD 20..... oh wait, i think someone already said that :deadhorse::lolol: really though aa did some seriously lowlife shit to try to pass off their inferior drum to the public including totally rigged function tests, and that aint cool :nonono: honestly when i first started drum shopping aa almost had me convinced that the md was junk with their fake tests on youtube. thank god i read further into the issue and made the right choice with the md. otherwise i would be the proud owner of one of those 400 dollar paper weights..... i have never heard 1 legitimate complaint about the md 20, and mike is a super nice guy to boot. :D

• 2 weeks later...